I've been thinking whether to go with Xenforo or vBulletin. I'm 99% positive for Xenforo but I have some Qs I'd like to kindly ask you folks to help me with.
1) The idea of this forum we're creating is to be big, as in a lower than 100k in Alexa rank; I know Alexa rank is not very reliable but I've done my research and that's where we want to be. All the big forums I've seen are on vB; I suppose due to not wanting to change to Xf. In any case, will Xenforo be reliable ofr a big forum in the timespan of, say, 5 years? Do you think XF will be able to still accommodate forums that grow rapidly in 1-2 years?
I apologize if this sounds a bit picky, but we're doing this and investing lots of money so we want to assure everything is good.
2) As any other forum, in the beginning we will have to create users and create conversations etc until traffic picks up and registration of members go up. If we have accounts that share the same IP (used to create conversations), could a moderator see the IPs?
Essentially, I'd like to set those "fake" accounts to a high level in the hierarchy so supposedly no one can see the IPs. However, I don;t know how Xf handles the IPs and who can see them. Anyone know?
Unfortunately we have to use that trick. In any case, we already have great content to publish as "articles" in the forum.
3) Can I install Xg in a subdirectory so that the forum is installed here
What I want to do is redirect www.example.com to www.example/forum . I do this in case we want to get some for of CMS/Wordpress on the homepage. Can I do this? We're thinking of posting the most useful threads on the homepage once we get everything sorted.
4) I read that Xf doesn't supposrt embedding videos, is this correct? Simple embed.
5) Will I have the same admin abilities as with vB? I hate spam, so one of the things I'm going to do is only allow people with 100 posts post links, and the links to be made "nofollow". What do you think? Is this possible with Xf?