Qs on reliability & customization compared to vBulletin

Herman

Hello,

I've been thinking whether to go with Xenforo or vBulletin. I'm 99% positive for Xenforo but I have some Qs I'd like to kindly ask you folks to help me with.

1) The idea of this forum we're creating is to be big, as in a lower than 100k in Alexa rank; I know Alexa rank is not very reliable but I've done my research and that's where we want to be. All the big forums I've seen are on vB; I suppose due to not wanting to change to Xf. In any case, will Xenforo be reliable ofr a big forum in the timespan of, say, 5 years? Do you think XF will be able to still accommodate forums that grow rapidly in 1-2 years?

I apologize if this sounds a bit picky, but we're doing this and investing lots of money so we want to assure everything is good.

2) As any other forum, in the beginning we will have to create users and create conversations etc until traffic picks up and registration of members go up. If we have accounts that share the same IP (used to create conversations), could a moderator see the IPs?

Essentially, I'd like to set those "fake" accounts to a high level in the hierarchy so supposedly no one can see the IPs. However, I don;t know how Xf handles the IPs and who can see them. Anyone know?

Unfortunately we have to use that trick. In any case, we already have great content to publish as "articles" in the forum.

3) Can I install Xg in a subdirectory so that the forum is installed here

www.example/forum

What I want to do is redirect www.example.com to www.example/forum . I do this in case we want to get some for of CMS/Wordpress on the homepage. Can I do this? We're thinking of posting the most useful threads on the homepage once we get everything sorted.

4) I read that Xf doesn't supposrt embedding videos, is this correct? Simple embed.

5) Will I have the same admin abilities as with vB? I hate spam, so one of the things I'm going to do is only allow people with 100 posts post links, and the links to be made "nofollow". What do you think? Is this possible with Xf?

Many thanks!

1. There are forums using XenForo with 90 million posts - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-big-forum-list.26352/

2. Only moderators can see IP addresses on the front end, if the permission is granted.

3. Yes, many people use WordPress as their landing page.

4. It does, as many services as you choose to configure.

5.Only staff links are follow, all other members are no-follow. There are various add-ons related to posting links, etc.

1. There are forums using XenForo with 90 million posts - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-big-forum-list.26352/

2. Only moderators can see IP addresses on the front end, if the permission is granted.

3. Yes, many people use WordPress as their landing page.

4. It does, as many services as you choose to configure.

5.Only staff links are follow, all other members are no-follow. There are various add-ons related to posting links, etc.

Thanks for the fast reply Brogan.

About Point 2: could I hide the IP or not allow the moderators to see the fake accounts we initially created? I take from your reply that mods can see the IPs only if I give permission. I absolutely want mods to see IPs, just that these fake accounts must be hidden, at least IP-wise.

On the video thing, I was on a site and read a comparison sheet they had stating that Xenforo did not allow/have the possibility of embedding Youtube videos. I really don't remember the site, but I could look it up. It comes as a surprise to me because embedding videos is easy. Can you confirm that Youtube videos can be embedded on Xenforo?

There is no ability to selectively hide the IPs of certain accounts.
There may be an add-on available for it but I'm not aware of one.

Try pasting a YouTube URL here and see what happens.
Or a DailyMotion video link, or Vimeo, or LiveLeak, Facebook, etc.

There is no ability to selectively hide the IPs of certain accounts.
There may be an add-on available for it but I'm not aware of one.

Try pasting a YouTube URL here and see what happens.
Or a DailyMotion video link, or Vimeo, or LiveLeak, Facebook, etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks fellas! that's what I needed. I actually didn't believe the claim in the comparison sheet; embedding videos is part of the life of a forum.

I absolutely want mods to see IPs, just that these fake accounts must be hidden, at least IP-wise.

I am pretty sure a simple template edit can do this. So you could wrap the IP display with a conditional that says not to show it for selected user IDs and to selected usergroups. You'd need to edit a template, but it's easy to do.

Basically, anything is possible with Xenforo, either by editing templates or using add-ons.

I am pretty sure a simple template edit can do this. So you could wrap the IP display with a conditional that says not to show it for selected user IDs and to selected usergroups. You'd need to edit a template, but it's easy to do.

Basically, anything is possible with Xenforo, either by editing templates or using add-ons.

Can I use XenForo to brew coffee? Or will it send a 418 back to the client? :D

Top Bottom