XF 1.3 PayPal IPN Failing

squirrly

We have enabled it in PayPal. Our upgrades are set up inside xF correctly. It will work for a few days/week, and then PayPal turns it off. We keep getting this email:

Hello XXX,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN) messages. Messages sent to the following URL(s) are not being received: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/payment_callback.php If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. Once you or your service provider fix this problem, you or your service provider can resend the failed messages from the IPN History page. If this problem continues, PayPal may disable the IPN feature for your account. Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue. Thanks, PayPal

What do I need to do to resolve this permanently? There MUST be another place I need to set something up on xF/server, but I have no idea what/where, and I can't find any reference to it in the general help/setup info.

Is that the correct URL? If so, look at the user upgrade transaction logs in the control panel. They should tell you what errors are occurring.

How can I tell? http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum is the URL for our forum. http://www.thebabywearer.com/payment_callback.php returns a 404 error (on screen). We don't get ANY failure/error notices in the transaction logs. Either success or dead silence, even if the payment goes through.
Would the fact you are running it off a subdirectory have any effect on it. I'm not sure if you need to put the /forum into the IPN callback or not.

I'm not getting a 404 error when I click on your callback link... what shows is "Request Not Validated"
(Was going to try to attach an image but apparently the BETA of OS/X and Chrome aren't playing nicely together and Chrome closes out).

Last edited:
The URL in the first post looks correct. You should see some entries in the transaction log now from people hitting it based on it being shown in the thread.

You can also look at the IPN history in PayPal (under the History menu). Click on a message ID - check that it's the URL mentioned there. What HTTP response code is it showing?

Ok, I've got one from a transaction that appears to be where someone is sending money to us directly in PP (not through the forum) failing because it can't find anything in the forum to connect to (duh). And then a few of these, which are presumably from people hitting the URL from here:

Action:
Error: Request not validated
User:
Unknown Account
Only log entries that involve a successful payment will be attached to a user and user upgrade.

Upgrade:
Unknown Upgrade
Date:
27 minutes ago

My concern is that we've done this now 3 times - turned it on in PP and it turns itself off. There's nothing different on the xF end, so it will likely turn itself off again in a few days/week. I need a perm fix. I did take out the old 404 page that was hanging around from our old vBul forum (premigration), but that's the only thing I've changed, and that only affected if you hit it withOUT the /forum/ tag in the URL. So, I don't really think there's anything different going on.

The direct payments should mostly subside going forward and come through the forum instead, but they won't ever totally go away, so I hope that's not the problem. We can't have multiple PP accounts (non-profit).

Ok, I've got one from a transaction that appears to be where someone is sending money to us directly in PP (not through the forum) failing because it can't find anything in the forum to connect to (duh). And then a few of these, which are presumably from people hitting the URL from here:

My concern is that we've done this now 3 times - turned it on in PP and it turns itself off. There's nothing different on the xF end, so it will likely turn itself off again in a few days/week. I need a perm fix. I did take out the old 404 page that was hanging around from our old vBul forum (premigration), but that's the only thing I've changed, and that only affected if you hit it withOUT the /forum/ tag in the URL. So, I don't really think there's anything different going on.

The direct payments should mostly subside going forward and come through the forum instead, but they won't ever totally go away, so I hope that's not the problem. We can't have multiple PP accounts (non-profit).
That has absolutely nothing to do with your forums. If someone sends you money directly it's a totally different and unique transaction on its own.

The URL in the first post looks correct. You should see some entries in the transaction log now from people hitting it based on it being shown in the thread.

You can also look at the IPN history in PayPal (under the History menu). Click on a message ID - check that it's the URL mentioned there. What HTTP response code is it showing?

Mine is showing response code 500.

I *think* I figured out the issue on our end - we have multiple email addresses set up in PP to receive payments, but PP will only tolerate ONE of those (primary) for IPN. Our treasurer didn't know that and gave me the one that made her happiest. I changed to the primary, and IPN is now sending success messages. Wheeeeee! The treasurer is going to adjust her reporting to compensate.

If you're not the original poster and you have an issue like this, you should start your own threads. The specific causes will possibly be different.

It sounds like the email address is the issue - normally this would show up in the transaction logs as an "invalid business/receiver_email" but it does prevent XF from processing the payments (because it appears that they're not for the account you actually wanted).

Top Bottom