1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 PayPal IPN Failing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by squirrly, Jul 28, 2014.

1. squirrly

squirrly Active Member

We have enabled it in PayPal. Our upgrades are set up inside xF correctly. It will work for a few days/week, and then PayPal turns it off. We keep getting this email:

What do I need to do to resolve this permanently? There MUST be another place I need to set something up on xF/server, but I have no idea what/where, and I can't find any reference to it in the general help/setup info.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Is that the correct URL? If so, look at the user upgrade transaction logs in the control panel. They should tell you what errors are occurring.

3. squirrly

squirrly Active Member

4. squirrly

squirrly Active Member

Is there supposed to be something on the server?

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Would the fact you are running it off a subdirectory have any effect on it. I'm not sure if you need to put the /forum into the IPN callback or not.

I'm not getting a 404 error when I click on your callback link... what shows is "Request Not Validated"
    (Was going to try to attach an image but apparently the BETA of OS/X and Chrome aren't playing nicely together and Chrome closes out).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. Mike

The URL in the first post looks correct. You should see some entries in the transaction log now from people hitting it based on it being shown in the thread.

You can also look at the IPN history in PayPal (under the History menu). Click on a message ID - check that it's the URL mentioned there. What HTTP response code is it showing?

7. squirrly

squirrly Active Member

Ok, I've got one from a transaction that appears to be where someone is sending money to us directly in PP (not through the forum) failing because it can't find anything in the forum to connect to (duh). And then a few of these, which are presumably from people hitting the URL from here:

My concern is that we've done this now 3 times - turned it on in PP and it turns itself off. There's nothing different on the xF end, so it will likely turn itself off again in a few days/week. I need a perm fix. I did take out the old 404 page that was hanging around from our old vBul forum (premigration), but that's the only thing I've changed, and that only affected if you hit it withOUT the /forum/ tag in the URL. So, I don't really think there's anything different going on.

The direct payments should mostly subside going forward and come through the forum instead, but they won't ever totally go away, so I hope that's not the problem. We can't have multiple PP accounts (non-profit).

8. JABRONI

JABRONI Well-Known Member

I'm having this same issue.

9. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

10. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

That has absolutely nothing to do with your forums. If someone sends you money directly it's a totally different and unique transaction on its own.

11. JABRONI

JABRONI Well-Known Member

Mine is showing response code 500.

12. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

You have a server/php misconfiguration. I would contact your host.

13. squirrly

squirrly Active Member

I *think* I figured out the issue on our end - we have multiple email addresses set up in PP to receive payments, but PP will only tolerate ONE of those (primary) for IPN. Our treasurer didn't know that and gave me the one that made her happiest. I changed to the primary, and IPN is now sending success messages. Wheeeeee! The treasurer is going to adjust her reporting to compensate.

eva2000 likes this.
  14. Mike

If you're not the original poster and you have an issue like this, you should start your own threads. The specific causes will possibly be different.

It sounds like the email address is the issue - normally this would show up in the transaction logs as an "invalid business/receiver_email" but it does prevent XF from processing the payments (because it appears that they're not for the account you actually wanted).