• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[Paid Mod] Bookmarks

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than have the thread title on a separate row like this:
I like the idea. I guess my original design decision was not to crowed the Note with the thread title being so close underneath it.

Question: why does your note span 2 lines - was it a very long (and interesting :)) note?

On second thought I'm not sure that putting the thread title on the same line as the post's author will look all that great when both the user name and thread title are long. See attached images.
Who prefers the multi line approach as it is now and who wants the single line one?
Picture 1.webpPicture 2.webp

Who prefers the multi line approach as it is now and who wants the single line one?
Perhaps it's due to the missing images on my installation but the two line approach just looks a bit odd; there doesn't seem to be any association between the post from thread: and the thread title.

Although it looks better with the small icons on the two lines, I still prefer the single line personally.

I can always change the templates to achieve that though, so it's not big deal if you decided to stick with the current layout.

When I was going to make something like this I was going to leave out any message previews and have the note there instead, in a normal font size but slightly faded (maybe "muted").

How yours is now is a little confusing in areas, a bit too much information I think, not sure would have to use it myself and not purchasing it for a little while yet.

This looks great. My only concern is that it might confuse users with the "watch thread" function. How do you explain this to members? Has anyone encountered confusion?

This looks great. My only concern is that it might confuse users with the "watch thread" function. How do you explain this to members? Has anyone encountered confusion?
Not sure how someone can get confused.
Watch Thread notifies you when someone replies to the thread while a bookmark simply saves a link to said thread. A bookmark alert only notifies you that your bookmarked post has either been edited, deleted, merged, or moved out of view.

There's nothing confusing about it and I haven't personally encountered anyone being confused with the bookmark/watch thread notifies. If this is a concern you can always do what I did and do an explain thread at your site. That said, it's not confusing in the slightest if I'm being honest.

Ps. @Syndol - If your still entertaining the idea with brogans suggestion I think shifting some stuff around might create a better visual look. I think he was onto something so I'll try and get some mockups to you (pending you want to explore this further) or when time permits. Im currently playing around with it myself at the moment and if needed I'll make the necessary edits. :)

Suggestion: Mockup (screenshot below) I'm not too sure about the sticky icon location and I find myself always glancing at the delete icon. How about making the delete icon text based and moving that to the left or right hand side of the edit button and moving the sticky icon to where the delete icon is? Screenshot below.

bookmark-suggestion.webp

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

The edit and delete links will be in line with posts then, as will the sticky icon in the top right.

BTW, I've been helping out with some testing and the latest version is even better.

Thanks for the input Shelley, I think that's a good idea and using the StarTrek jargon - I shall "make it so". (feeble attempt at humour)

Thanks Syndol. Looking forward to the enhancements to the next revision of this excellent and useful add-on. Appreciate your efforts. :)

Version 1.0.1
New version is now available.

A few small bugs were ironed out and three new features/options were added.
- The postbit bookmark link may now be placed either with the rest of the 'private' links in the middle or with the 'public' links on the right hand side.
- The navigation tab may now be placed in different locations including the right hand side where the visitor tabs are located.
- User group permissions - specify which group may bookmark. Limit by general usergroup or node by node.

To set permissions follow these steps:

From within your admin control panel's 'Users' tab, click 'User Group Permissions'. Select the user group you wish to give Bookmarking privileges to.
There are three permissions that need to be set.
  • The first is under 'General Permissions' and is named 'Use Bookmarks Feature'
    • Since permission may be set at forum level, this ensures that users who do have bookmarking permission somewhere may still view their bookmarks on their account and profile pages, navigation tab, as well as receive alerts.
  • The second is under 'Forum Permissions' and is named 'Bookmark Thread Posts'
  • The third is under 'Profile Post Permissions' and is named 'Bookmark Profile Posts'
I would like to thank Brogan who has helped me a lot by debugging and suggesting improvements to this add-on. He has been a great help!
I would also like to thank Shelley, Azhria Lilu, and everyone else for their input and suggestions.

Fantastic update.. I love this mod :D

*edit*

Just upgraded, but none of the new options are showing.

I have upgraded from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 and now the Bookmark links don't appear. Please, can you help me?

I installed the new files and then I ran the upgrade option in the addons list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom