• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[Paid Mod] Bookmarks

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the old Post-It mod has now been removed but I still have it so I was wondering if anyone that knew that one, could tell me any extra benefits of this one compared to Post-It which was free...thanks
I was the author of the Post-it add-on.
The main differences between Post-it version 1.0.4 (which is closest to this one) and this release are as follows:

1). Many code improvements and clean up
2). User alerts for when a bookmarked post is edited, deleted, moved, or merged
3). Deleted bookmark alerts provide an overlay of the deleted post contents so you can have one last look at it
4). Option to display bookmarks as a list for quick access via a navigation tab
5). Cron now only runs if the add-on was disabled
6). Post snippets can now include attachment thumbnails
7). Thread titles now can have a tool-tip display, show thread prefixes, and many smaller tweaks
Post-It is unlikely to be compatible going forward as it isn't being developed.
True

Just wanted to leave some feedback.

I've just purchased this add-on

The transaction was quick and painless and Syndol provided the files very quickly upon payment. As for the add-on, so far it's looking really sweet and does what it says. I'm quite sure since my forum is very small this add-on would greatly benefit larger forums especially bookmarking those topics you want to save and look back on. So far, an excellent product. (y)

Very professional transaction and product. Very happy with this.

If your curious and since there is no demo no fault of the author you can see it in action until one come available here's my install http://www.bbsmiley.com/

If you do it, you'll pretty much have brought Tumblr to Xenforo because that's what that site is famous for. Those features alone are worth $100.

Could you explain in more detail (anyone for that matter) what this tumblr thing does if integrated into the bookmarks add-on?

Could you explain in more detail (anyone for that matter) what this tumblr thing does if integrated into the bookmarks add-on?

Well, I just took a look at tumblr and it seems that if you register for a blog with them that you can then share pages you like from other sites by linking them to your blog with a comment.
Not sure how this applies to this add-on other than simply:
For instance, if a member sees a book mark on someone else's profile, they can click on it and it goes on their profile as well? Without them having to view the actual thread?
Picture 1.webp

The popularity of Tumblr is in it's ease of use. It makes 'Copy-n-Paste' a relic of the past. In the same way Bookmarks makes it easier to just add a bookmark instead of having to copy-n-paste the link and store it in your notes, Tumblr makes it easier to 're-blog' instead of copy-n-pasting someone else's blog post. How it could be integrated with the bookmarks add-on is by bookmarking someone else's bookmark. For instance, if you go to someone's page and you see a public bookmark that you like, you could click on 'bookmark this bookmark' lol or something like that and it would be added to yours, instead of having to go to the exact post and bookmark it. It saves page-clicks. Also, the addition of comments would make it even more unique because if that person's page is private then the only people who can see the comments are those following them. They can comment their bookmark in 'privacy'. I noticed that in some forums, some people are afraid of commenting a post because they might piss another poster off for instance:

Girl posts a pic.
Dude sees it, wants to comment. Can't comment because this other girl would get jealous so he only hits the like button.
With Bookmarks, he can like her post, bookmark her post and comment the bookmark especially if her page is private.

I have a lot of girls on my site and they bicker a lot over dudes etc so this is where that real world scenario is coming from.

Well, I just took a look at tumblr and it seems that if you register for a blog with them that you can then share pages you like from other sites by linking them to your blog with a comment.
Not sure how this applies to this add-on other than simply:

View attachment 22238
Yep. This is why Tumblr is so popular. Your Bookmark mod is awesome but it would be epic if you could bookmark a bookmark and comment it. Forums are still too hard for some people to use. That's why people love Tumblr so much. I have to constantly explain to people how to do stuff on the forum. If there was a function similar to the reblog feature they use on Tumblr, then they'll be more apt to learn.

Really? over here we call them airheads.

Okay got what your saying and thanks for the explanation.
The smart girls are on Tumblr. :(

The girls you call airheads, have Tumblrs too though but at least they're willing to join a forum.

Just wanted to leave some feedback.

I've just purchased this add-on

The transaction was quick and painless and Syndol provided the files very quickly upon payment. As for the add-on, so far it's looking really sweet and does what it says. I'm quite sure since my forum is very small this add-on would greatly benefit larger forums especially bookmarking those topics you want to save and look back on. So far, an excellent product. (y)

Very professional transaction and product. Very happy with this.

If your curious and since there is no demo no fault of the author you can see it in action until one come available here's my install http://www.bbsmiley.com/
I've purchased this as well. Exact same experience as Shelly, so I shant try to repeat it.

Top notch! :) (y)

Interesting mod. What is the effect this has on a site's performance?
The cron job is run monthly, I read?

Interesting mod. What is the effect this has on a site's performance?
The cron job is run monthly, I read?
There are no additional queries on normal page views unless the navigation tab drop down list option is selected in which case it adds 2 to 3 additional tiny queries.
When the shared bookmarks option is set, it adds 1 to 2 queries on a member's profile page.
The cron job runs once a month but only if the add-on was disabled during that time. It removes bookmarks that belong to deleted members or deleted/unviewable posts.
This can happen if users or posts are deleted/moved when the add-on was turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom