Add-on [PAID] Full Wordpress/Xenforo bridge

Unfortunately I think it is unlikely to work. I haven't tested it yet but my understanding of W3 Total Cache is that it requires the default Wordpress cookie to decide which cache to serve, and this cookie isn't provided by my plugin (we use the XenForo cookie instead).
Can you contact the author of W3TC (@w3edge)
I know him for while sometime and he is very active and helpful when it comes to his plugin. This W3TC is a really huge deal for many websites.

hello,

i use the bridge since yesterday, on my site. at the moment i found no bigger bugs, and the support from jamie is great. he has changed some things on our theme, that the user can login over wp ( he changed the loginbox-links on wp for us........). we use the memcache plugin from wp and at the moment we see no bigger problems. bulkupload is working.....changing userpermissions is working........it looks all really good!

best is the friendly support!

greatings jörg

Unfortunately I think it is unlikely to work. I haven't tested it yet but my understanding of W3 Total Cache is that it requires the default Wordpress cookie to decide which cache to serve, and this cookie isn't provided by my plugin (we use the XenForo cookie instead).

I did get the wordpress plugin WP File Cache to work with it successfully, rather than depending on cookies it uses the hooks that are within wordpress already to tell when to cache something. The only warning I will give, if you ever need to disable the bridge, make sure you disable the file cache first or you'll have issues logging in afterwards. Once you've logged in you can re-enable the cache.

Rather encouraging news to hear, bambua.
If we plan to have widespread adoption of this, I think it's only fair to hope that the most popular caching plugins should work first.

I did get the wordpress plugin WP File Cache to work with it successfully, rather than depending on cookies it uses the hooks that are within wordpress already to tell when to cache something. The only warning I will give, if you ever need to disable the bridge, make sure you disable the file cache first or you'll have issues logging in afterwards. Once you've logged in you can re-enable the cache. I had to do a database restore because I screwed this one up and didn't figure out I could just delete the file cache first :D Luckily I'm a bit anal about backups and run them about once an hour when I'm working on stuff like this.

Rather encouraging news to hear, bambua.
If we plan to have widespread adoption of this, I think it's only fair to hope that the most popular caching plugins should work first.
Given so many people have made requests for this I have now made some changes to my code which hopefully gives it support for W3 Super Cache. However I don't have any real experience setting up W3 Super Cache and configuring it, nor in monitoring the performance difference it provides. If anyone that is experienced with the caching plugin would be willing to run a test for me and see if they can find any problems before I upload the new version that would be much appreciated, send me a PM.

Just want to throw a word of thanks out for this product.

We had some issues getting this product working on a Windows box, but he stepped in and got it working for us in a very short time period.

We're moving on to other test phases now, to see if there are any other conflicts with the Wordpress plugins we had planned on using.

Can you make the avatars in Wordpress clickable so that they go to Xenforo? Right now you have to click on the username link.

Also, if a member account is created in Wordpress does it automatically create one in Xenforo? Can we still use Wordpress side for members to login from? I am curious how Wordpress plugins which need to run from the wordpress membership database would work, if Xenforo is taking over this role? Or if both databases can exist and made use of?

Given so many people have made requests for this I have now made some changes to my code which hopefully gives it support for W3 Super Cache. However I don't have any real experience setting up W3 Super Cache and configuring it, nor in monitoring the performance difference it provides. If anyone that is experienced with the caching plugin would be willing to run a test for me and see if they can find any problems before I upload the new version that would be much appreciated, send me a PM.
Has anyone taken up the offer of testing how this work with w3tc plugin yet?

Count me in. Great initiative, Max. Ho bisogno di questo anche io. You have amazing stats on just one of your sites, over 2 million discussions, 34 million posts and over 400K members? Wow, auguri! :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'm a late bloomer, just joined XF 6 days ago, am doing catch up. This is a dream come true (oh so sad, a woman who is satisfied when technology keeps up with her; what has the world come to). :p Thanks, DigitalDoctor.

Saw it in action, pretty darn awesome. Do you know if WP then becomes the main site or XF will be the main site? Guess I'm a bit confused as to the front and back end of things (which admin panel I'd be working with). All I am trying to achieve is not to lose my hundreds of articles and use them as forum discussion stirrers, i.e. use each article post as a new forum begin. But I also want them listed by title by topic for easier find. I find the 'search feature on XF very tedious and almost impossible to find specific things.

Also, I use Wishlist and Wishlist Drip on my WP, does anyone know any conflicts with this bridge or since XF is installed will WL really be redundant?

BP4L: register @ xenscripts and ask all these questions there.
I would say that xF becomes the main site only because it handles the registrations and xF logs you into WP, not the other way around.

Hello Fighter,

I have a few questions and I apologize if they've been answered. How does your differ from xfrocks' Wordpress Bridge? Do you see the comments on both the forums and "blog" posting? Or do the comments just go to the forums and not appear on the blog post?

Now the thing that concerns me is the duplicate content. Are you utilizing Canonical Links to make sure you don't get penalized? If you are, which one is pointing to which? And if you are, do we have the option to change which is the link we want Google to pick up?

Thanks for the great addon!

Azzid

Yes, now there are a little problem with the duplicate content...a solution can be to disallow the crawling of forum topics for avoid problems, but without a "full url structure" (requested by me here) like vbseo you can't disallow the threads for a specific forum.

Yes, now there are a little problem with the duplicate content...a solution can be to disallow the crawling of forum topics for avoid problems, but without a "full url structure" (requested by me here) like vbseo you can't disallow the threads for a specific forum.
I'm trying to fully understand where you are coming from but can't quite. I understand your need for the URL structure but don't quite get it here. You can always just make the forum that the news is being posted from inaccessible by guests so that way only the news article on the homepage will show up.

My whole thing is, why not make an easy change to allow for Canonical pointing...if it isn't already there.

Agree. The problem is this...i have contacted many devs, they said me:"For your needs, is better to create a basic custom cms for zero...many issues with a bridge".

If you see the 2° examples i posted, both are vb forum + custom cms. I suspect that is not possible or too problematic to create a fully featured and stable bridge with Wordpress and a forum software...
thats why i think the best option would be to just have people give Jaxel the money so he can spend more time turning all of his mods into one big CMS that piggy backs on top of xenForo.
As it is right now the xenPorta does a lot of what you are asking for but within xenForo instead of using WP.

I dont know about the other blogs in subdomains and stuff, but there is a lot you can do with Jaxels work.
I personally have always hated having to bridge authentication and other stuff between my forum and whatever content system i was trying to use.

thats why i think the best option would be to just have people give Jaxel the money so he can spend more time turning all of his mods into one big CMS that piggy backs on top of xenForo.
There is merit in your idea. However ... that won't happen ... it isn't realistic to assume that 500 people are going to Paypal $20 to Jaxel. If people could pay Jaxel via Xenforo.com ... it would be more likely to happen. Interesting issues such as why does xenforo not have a gallery ... an articles system ... a downloads addon ... etc are very important questions.

I think it is also unrealistic to suggest Jaxel's XenPorta will rival the mighty Wordpress in terms of flexibility, security, and customizability.

Top Bottom