Resource icon

Page as portal homepage

No, I want to use it with the full view setting in the center, at the top where it is, not on the sidebar. I'm referring to "new_threads," not "new_threads_with_prefix_limit."

At least I thought that was an addition to his widget that DL6 made. I don't remember the "New threads" definition being a default option with XF, but if I'm wrong, sorry.

@DL6
Ah crap, I just realized that it is a default definition, so the problem isn't actually your addon. It's an XF thing. So sorry for the confusion.

@DL6
Ah crap, I just realized that it is a default definition, so the problem isn't actually your addon. It's an XF thing. So sorry for the confusion.
Try with the default xf style, maybe it's a problem with some modification in some template :unsure:

@DL6
For the record, your widget displays perfectly in full view in the same position, no problem with the sidebars. I'd just use it instead if I didn't also need to show threads without prefixes. (y)

@DL6
Upgraded XF to 2.0.0.4 and the layout problems have disappeared. After updating everything, I realized that I had forgot one edit I'd done to the new thread widget template for every style, which was to delete the "View more" button. I didn't like the button because it implied that if users clicked it they would be taken to more new threads, but instead it linked to new posts, so I axed it. I don't recall getting any syntax errors, but maybe I deleted a line too many or something, who knows. All I know is that I've deleted it again after upgrading but now everything looks fine. I see too that node titles seem to fit better on the forums page now. I have some long forum titles that I used to have to increase the page width to display fully, but now those all look fine at the default widths, so maybe they did something there that also affects how the widget displays...? Whatever, just glad everything looks as it should now. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DL6
Anyone have a clue how I can make the page display recent threads on that page but not in a widget.

What would the difference be, to the person viewing the page?

Surely a widget is the easiest way to make the recent thfeads show on a page and it would look just the same as if you found a (more complex) way to somehow include in the page template.

Yes, just create a recent threads widget without any display position and then call it on the homepage with whatever the widget name is, which could be something like: new_threads_homepage
Ok, I am going to try, I'm only working with XF for the past 3 days. Have achieved a lot already but yeah it's all very new and overwhelming.

Surely a widget is the easiest way to make the recent thfeads show on a page and it would look just the same as if you found a (more complex) way to somehow include in the page template.
I have no idea :) I'm just winging it and hoping things work out as I have in my mind.

Basically I want a homepage like this site but they run 1x.

Also, do you guys know how I can achieve this? https://xenforo.com/community/threads/sidebar-on-the-left-side.147632/#post-1253220

Well, basically because it doesn't have to be in a box and it will display pretty much the same as new posts do under What's New. And you can set display style to Full so that the threads look like they do in forum view and users can see their avatar on threads they've participated in.

EDIT: He will still be using a widget, but I took it to mean he wanted the threads literally out of the box.

Personally I'm hoping with XF 2.1 that they'll have this as a default display under What's New and that you'll be able to expand it to multiple pages. (I've got new threads displayed there also, but don't know how to display them on more than a single page.) The XF team have always seemed to think new threads options a poor cousin of new posts, but we're slowly getting there. :)

Yes, just create a recent threads widget without any display position and then call it on the homepage with whatever the widget key name is, which could be something like: new_threads_homepage
Got it working man!!! :D Hahaha makes me feel happy. I customized so many things already on my own with the help of guys like you.

One thing I would like to have changed, even though I got the recent threads position right it still has the small font size. Any way to make it bigger for that section?

Cheers

That's one I couldn't tell you offhand. Probably not easy. It is a default option with some styles, though, such as the Themehouse styles.

I might take a look at them as I'm stubborn AF and usually when I get something in my mind I need to get it that way but then again I already did a lot of modification on the default theme.

Anyway, cheers.

I'm not sure what other modifications you've done, but all of the things discussed here, the homepage and widgets, etc., will still display fine on whatever style you're using.

Top Bottom