OS X Yosemite Public Beta

I'm doing the opposite. No more S model for me.

3GS > 4S > 5s

Although each phone is an improvement on the last, I always feel slightly underwhelmed. So last year I bought the 5s outright and reduced my monthly contract cost with Vodafone. So when the 6 comes out, if I like it, I will either renew my contract for 18 - 24 months and get the brand new phone with a small upfront cost, or I might just buy it outright, again. Not sure I'm going to stretch beyond £549 though... ouch.

I got the 5 and then the 5s (mainly for the touch sensor). Won't get the first models as I'll just stick with the s as the minor improvements are (for me) worth the extra wait. By that time the 5s will probably be 2 years old and that's when I normally replace my phones (unless something comes out that I really want/like). I have a couple of cigar boxes with 13 phones in them now (oldest is the Motorola X).

What's the time between releases now? It seems to me once I installed the latest they're already beta testing the next one. First, people don't like (too much) change, second, maybe if it isn't broken don't try to fix it.

My more important point is innovation, thinking of new ways to improve the OS can be fine be what about new products? Things have certainly changed since Jobs.

BTW don't get me wrong, my late 2013 iMac 27 turned out to be a great upgrade.
Apple is a large company. They are more than capable of working on both a new operating system and new products.

As for not liking change, fine. If Mavs works for you, no need to upgrade. Until recently, I still knew people running Windows 95 on a Pentium II. It worked fine for their purposes, and they had no need to upgrade. But other, like myself, like operating system updates and new features and improvements. Therefore, I enjoy frequent updates to OS X, Windows, Linux, etc.

Beta 2 (or Update 1.0) has been released for Yosemite. Its stability is about the same as before, although I've still found a few bugs here and there. Also note that via the Terminal, it's possible to enable an early version of dark mode. It actually works quite well, but the menu bar extras are still dark content on dark background, making them virtually unreadable.

I actually still don't have an email, but I saw various coverage that suggested that some people have, and some sites have published the direct link to the code redemption page.

So I just logged in and it let me redeem a code for the App Store. Less than an hour later:

upload_2014-7-24_22-18-36.webp

I've been using the DPs but I also signed up for the public beta this morning. I didn't get an email either.

Anybody else using the BETA and Chrome and have Chrome quit on you when trying to upload an attachment to the XF site?
No plug-ins enabled in Chrome (disabled all of them) and it still does it.

Code:
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Unexpected outstanding background CATransaction'

Safari seems to work fine (which is to be expected).

Last edited:
Guess it must have something to do with me being on a Mac Mini and not one of those "high dollar" laptops or something. Most of the stack trace errors I saw had to do with the display.:(
It happens when I open the finder to attach the file to the post.

Same problem with FireFox so it's definitely something with the BETA and those apps on the Mac Mini.

EDIT:
Well since nether will work on my Mini and I refuse to use Safari I'm restoring from my TC backup. :(

Last edited:
Well, after 18 hours of screwing around to get Yosemite off, I'm finally back to Mavericks. I look forward to Yosemite release, but the Mini apparently doesn't play well with the BETA.

Top Bottom