Oooooo! Sub-Forums! Is that new or am I just blind?

Make the subforums more visible

Oh great... Now I have to be concerned about either my eyesight, general awareness, or sanity.

Actually, you've just demonstrated in practice why more people will not see the sub forums at first glance: they are just not visible enough (hidden) behind a little arrow. This, is even more an issue I foresee compared to the forum descriptions not visible without having to mouse-over the forumtitle. I love the elegance of XenForo, but there are occasions when it is best to keep the usability in mind over design. I feel these are the only two major instances where the UI could be improved. Kier explained that the forumdescriptions are a simple template edit. I hope the same goes for the non-visability of the subforums.

Make the subforums more visible

Actually, you've just demonstrated in practice why more people will not see the sub forums at first glance: they are just not visible enough (hidden) behind a little arrow. This, is even more an issue I foresee compared to the forum descriptions not visible without having to mouse-over the forumtitle. I love the elegance of XenForo, but there are occasions when it is best to keep the usability in mind over design. I feel these are the only two major instances where the UI could be improved. Kier explained that the forumdescriptions are a simple template edit. I hope the same goes for the non-visability of the subforums.

There's a thread that discusses this somewhere, but as usual, I can't find it.

Do sub-sub-forums behave in the same way?

Will for example a sub-forum of Resolved Bug Reports appear in the drop down on forum home or only on the Bug Reports forum?

Any chance of some test sub-forums in the test forum so we can see how it works?

Actually, you've just demonstrated in practice why more people will not see the sub forums at first glance.
But that's the whole point. They are sub forums after all. If you need people to see something a forum at a glance, make it a top level forum. By nesting these forums underneath top (levels 1 and 2) forums, you have by definition relegated them from primary importance, surely?

Really? I think it defines K.I.S.S. very well, in addition to keeping the forumhome clean and tidy.
Yes and no. I think the idea is great, but the implementation is less. The drop down arrow is hard to find and easy to overlook. Whats in the drop down is bulky.

Kier; could you please try stuffing 30 subforums under 1 parent forum somewhere and letting us play with the drop down?

I think the idea to hide subforums in a collapsible way, is brilliant though.

Top Bottom