1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oooooo! Sub-Forums! Is that new or am I just blind?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Tigratrus, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Just saw the little disclosure triangle like widget for the subforums...
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

Not new.​
  3. Tigratrus

:: eyes Kier suspiciously ::
  4. Tigratrus

Oh great... Now I have to be concerned about either my eyesight, general awareness, or sanity.
    Great way to start the day ;)
  5. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

Not enough coffee...
  6. Tigratrus

Actually, it's Yerba Mate with a bit of Jasmine green tea thrown in... Yum! :)

Apparently though, I need an IV bag ;)
  7. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Make the subforums more visible

Actually, you've just demonstrated in practice why more people will not see the sub forums at first glance: they are just not visible enough (hidden) behind a little arrow. This, is even more an issue I foresee compared to the forum descriptions not visible without having to mouse-over the forumtitle. I love the elegance of XenForo, but there are occasions when it is best to keep the usability in mind over design. I feel these are the only two major instances where the UI could be improved. Kier explained that the forumdescriptions are a simple template edit. I hope the same goes for the non-visability of the subforums.
    Zael, steven s, kmike and 1 other person like this.
  8. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

It's new as in it wasn't there when the forums were originally created :D
  9. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

There's a thread that discusses this somewhere, but as usual, I can't find it.
    KURTZ likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

It's been there ever since I've been around / since the sub-forums were added. :confused:
  11. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there weren't any sub forums when I signed up, might have only been for a few hours when the added the Resolved Bug Reports sub forum
  12. Tigratrus

Well... Susan already slapped me twice today, so I figure at least one of them can be allocated to my apparently being blind! :)
  13. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Too dropdown annoying...
  14. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't. ;) Sub-forums came a bit later after the forums opened, and then shortly after there was a menu to get to it from the forum home.
  15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Wow! I really dislike that implementation of subforums. No K.I.S.S. there.
  16. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

I like it for forum home, it keeps it tidy and consistent reguardless of the amount of sub-forums you may add. Once you click the forum name, the sub-forums are listed as usual.
  17. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Do sub-sub-forums behave in the same way?

Will for example a sub-forum of Resolved Bug Reports appear in the drop down on forum home or only on the Bug Reports forum?

Any chance of some test sub-forums in the test forum so we can see how it works?
  18. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

But that's the whole point. They are sub forums after all. If you need people to see something a forum at a glance, make it a top level forum. By nesting these forums underneath top (levels 1 and 2) forums, you have by definition relegated them from primary importance, surely?
    Disjunto likes this.
  19. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Really? I think it defines K.I.S.S. very well, in addition to keeping the forumhome clean and tidy.
  20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. I think the idea is great, but the implementation is less. The drop down arrow is hard to find and easy to overlook. Whats in the drop down is bulky.

Kier; could you please try stuffing 30 subforums under 1 parent forum somewhere and letting us play with the drop down?

I think the idea to hide subforums in a collapsible way, is brilliant though.