Only two developers for XenForo?

random

Both Kier and Mike are the best forum developers of this world without any doubts. They are also well talented guys and good people but...

I'd like to know if they have any plans to hire more developers to work on XenForo after it goes gold.

Because when this software goes gold there will be a lot of people who are going to buy it. We all know their abilities and that their are capable of develop whatever you can imagine but only two developers for XenForo isn't going to be -probably- a good idea.

So far Mike and Kier have done extremely well. Just because they can recruit don't mean that they will. Bare in mind a good coder doesn't necessary make a great developer. In time I'm sure when mike and kier feel the workload needs to be spanned out they will search and recruit but in their own time.

Bare in mind also more people developing doesn't necessarily mean that things will be better. Quality over quantity, the reverse is never a good substitute.

Although we talk about Kier and Mike a lot in these forums, lets not forget Ashley. From a business stand point I am certain these guys all know when to hire out help and what they able capable of doing themselves.

Let's all put in a wish in Santa's stocking that xenforo grows so much that they will have a huge team this time next year! :)

Jamie

So far Mike and Kier have done extremely well. Just because they can recruit don't mean that they will. Bare in mind a good coder doesn't necessary make a great developer. In time I'm sure when mike and kier feel the workload needs to be spanned out they will search and recruit but in their own time.

Bare in mind also more people developing doesn't necessarily mean that things will be better. Quality over quantity, the reverse is never a good substitute.

Indeed. I think the majority of us have already seen a good example of quantity vs quality. :rolleyes:

Two dev's that communicate well and work together are much better than a team that is fragmented in their ideas on how to build out the software.

Rush has three members and their music is better than bands with a dozen players.

Well said. Obviously there's always going to be conflict with even two developers. This in my opinion is good because conflict of interests usually craft out the original plans into something better when two brains (ideas) do battle with one another.

Battle of the brains. Has a nice ring to it.

I believe Kier or someone else on the XF team said somewhere that they would hire more developers and staff as the budget was available and need arose. I believe he also mentioned that the vBulletin developers did the support there at the start too - and that was the model XenForo was going to follow.

Until the lawsuits are resolved, they will be taking up time (and possibly funds, depending on if they have insurance) and Kier's already admitted that it's had some small knock on to plans and their timeframes. We just got to be patient.

End result - I'm sure once XenForo is out of beta, "officially supported", and then able to support more staff member salaries, I'm sure that's exactly what Kier, Mike and Ashley will do :)

Don't try to break something that aint broke! So far the response times and updates are extremely pleasing.

And yes, Jake for support, Shelley should make a banner for it haha :)

I'd like to know if they have any plans to hire more developers to work on XenForo after it goes gold.
Thats going to depend on how well it does, and on the pending court cases (assuming they are still pending by then). I would also think they are more likely to take on people for support rather than development, allowing them more time to work on the software themselves.

I don't think the budget and planning allows for more hiring. However, for what its worth, if you asked me before xenforo was sued, I'd probably say yes.

Just remember, in order to have a smooth running business, you have to follow through a business plan. And a business plan can be changed at any time, yes, but you would still have to forecast how much money or customers you'll be getting to match how much money you're paying each human capita.

Support is what they will require, not developers. I would say the less developers is the better action, because it means less fingers in the pie to screw things up. They both seem to work together very well and have excellent communication going between them on what each is doing... adding more into that equation can only cause issues for us. Support persons... now that is a different field altogether.

I would also add to this... that quite honestly, once the software is Gold, devs shouldn't have a lot to do daily with this software, unless they plan to turn it into a bloated nightmare like other software, by continually adding to the main core and rendering it useless within 7 - 10 years and repeating the cycle of other forum developers.

I would hope their role turns between minor improvements and building quality new products that users can choose to purchase and plugin vs. endup at the same road end as past has dictated.

I have to say that we are far from done with our forum product. We have so much stuff we want to do to complete our vision for how modern forum software should be... and I don't think any if it would constitute 'bloat'.

XenForo is as modern and forward-looking as it's possible to be, but does that mean it will last forever? No. Technology marches on inexorably and I have no doubt that in ten years or so, we will feel that it will be necessary to do an extensive rewrite in order to take advantage of the latest advances.

Technology marches on inexorably and I have no doubt that in ten years or so, we will feel that it will be necessary to do an extensive rewrite in order to take advantage of the latest advances.
That's what I like to hear... complete rewrite when its needed. I knew I picked the right software this time...

Top Bottom