Implemented Online Status Indicator / move outside of Avatar-image

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich37

The position of the "green dot" inside the Avatar is not great, as it destroys the appearance of the Avatar-image.
Depending on the Avatar-image, the "Online Status Indicator" is also hardly visible.

The "Online Status Indicator" should be positioned somewhere outside of the Avatar-image.

onlinenow.webp

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Until the dot is moved to next to the username, the feature is useless.

Not only that, but it was moved to a good location on mobile to the avatar. I don't believe that was a good choice - it's barely visible now.

Edit: Some redacted... I don't think straight when I'm tired. Sorry. I'll sleep now (later).

Last edited:
It's a good job there's a thing called CSS so other silly idiots can move it elsewhere, eh?

It's a good job there's a thing called CSS so other silly idiots can move it elsewhere, eh?

The fact it was moved from a good place to the bad place is the issue, and are you calling me a silly idiot? I don't believe I called anyone that.

The fact it was moved from a good place to the bad place is the issue, and are you calling me a silly idiot? I don't believe I called anyone that.
You have called Mike and Kier exactly that as they are the ones who decided on that location.

What are you talking about it being moved from a good place to a bad place?
This feature has never existed until now.

I think it was moved to a more consistent place on mobile.

Sorry. I meant to say "idiot silly person" because that's so much better. I didn't call anyone that, either, by the way.

You have called Mike and Kier exactly that as they are the ones who decided on that location.

What are you talking about it being moved from a good place to a bad place?
This feature has never existed until now.

On the mobile responsive layout, the dot was on the actual postbit, on the far right. I checked recently, and it had been moved to the corner of the avatar, where it was only just visible.

I think it was moved to a more consistent place on mobile.

Sorry. I meant to say "idiot silly person" because that's so much better. I didn't call anyone that, either, by the way.

By definition, saying an idiot would be a lot worse than saying a silly person. As this word idiot had a strikethrough, it was redacted meaning it wasn't there.

I'm done here for now, I need to finish watching this and then I need sleep.

I still think it would be better to have it beside the username. It wont obscure anything and would suit mobile browsers as well.

TBH I have noticed a few avatars where you cannot see it due to the contrast.

On the mobile responsive layout, the dot was on the actual postbit, on the far right. I checked recently, and it had been moved to the corner of the avatar, where it was only just visible.

By definition, saying an idiot would be a lot worse than saying a silly person. As this word idiot had a strikethrough, it was redacted meaning it wasn't there.

I'm done here for now, I need to finish watching this and then I need sleep.

Stop with trivial nonsense.

By definition, stop, for the love of humanity.

Until the dot is moved to next to the username, the feature is useless.

Not only that, but it was moved to a good location on mobile to the avatar. I don't believe that was a good choice - it's barely visible now.

Edit: Some redacted... I don't think straight when I'm tired. Sorry. I'll sleep now (later).

That good place your referring to Liam, doesn't exist when placement for this specific feature is based more on user preference. If it was moved to your happy place By the devs, there would be a 100 people posting they preferred it in it''s original location or their happy place. Think of the placement, heck, even the circular design as a placeholder till you get your hands on 1.4 and then (if you don't like the placement) change it, that goes for the design of the circular indicator. It's both easy to change and to move to "your" preferred location.

Edit: Comparison test.
Edit: Top-right wins.

Screenshot_11.webp Screenshot_12.webp

Edit: more testing. Darn!! Messgeuserinfo span arrow needs adjusted, shame.
Screenshot_13.webp Screenshot_14.webp

Last edited:
Why was putting it beside the username rejected? Not complaining, just curious about the thought process.

I wouldn't hate it:

upload_2014-8-2_9-37-18.webp

But in some ways it concerns me from the point of view that usernames are no longer in a consistent position.

I wouldn't hate it:

View attachment 79389

But in some ways it concerns me from the point of view that usernames are no longer in a consistent position.

Exactly, I tried this through firebug yesterday and came to the same conclusion. Probably why I never even bothered to submit a screeny since it wasn't even worth starting a debate on it and plus it just looked downright sh-t, IMO.

And as brogan stated, when long usernames break onto another line. Infact, and if memory recalls, there was an extensive discussion on this. It's really fine where it is imo.

One issue I think will happen is that members will add their own status indicators onto their avatar.

LOL, you are correct:

a member could just put a "green dot" into his Avatar-photo.
Just implement a "green dot"-graphics over your Avatar-photo, then you are always online.

:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom