Implemented Online Status Indicator / move outside of Avatar-image

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich37

The position of the "green dot" inside the Avatar is not great, as it destroys the appearance of the Avatar-image.
Depending on the Avatar-image, the "Online Status Indicator" is also hardly visible.

The "Online Status Indicator" should be positioned somewhere outside of the Avatar-image.

onlinenow.webp

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
LOL, you are correct:

a member could just put a "green dot" into his Avatar-photo.
Just implement a "green dot"-graphics over your Avatar-photo, then you are always online.

:eek:
Indeed but you won't be able to show a tooltip with a fake green dot.

upload_2014-8-2_14-49-0.webp

I don't mind the dot. But when it does get released I am sure there will be many ways to change it. For those that don't like the dot and think it messes with the avatar you could make the avatar itself be the online indicator.

View attachment 79325

I think this is a nice idea. (y)

Since it will also show fine in "responsive view" and also will show fine at the "Members List" here:
http://xenforo.com/community/members/

Hmmm.....
I actually just saw that the "Online Status Indicator" is not showing at the "Notable Members List", not showing at "Newest Members" and also not showing at "Today's Birthdays".

:confused:

I just noticed another avatar where there are three green dots:

pic001.webp

What does it mean if there are three green dots?

Which is exactly what many will do to mess with the admin if XenForo v1.4 is released with this new feature.

How? One has a tooltip showing its online. The others, nothing. It's always in the same spot, so why would something like that throw anyone off?

Will I get banned from XF when I plaster my teddy-bear with green dots ?

I certainly don't think it will confuse anyone about if you are online or not... as stated above.

I'd say staff here know how the online status indicator works.

Will I get banned from XF when I plaster my teddy-bear with green dots ?

Most of us have enough respect for Mike and Kier not to do that. But I think there will be many others that will do just that on other forums just to mess with the admin.

I really hope Mike and Kier reconsider the idea of putting the dot in the avatar image which can so easily be manipulated.

Most of us have enough respect for Mike and Kier not to do that. But I think there will be many others that will do just that on other forums just to mess with the admin.
I doubt it.

I really hope Mike and Kier reconsider the idea of putting the dot in the avatar image which can so easily be manipulated.
Yes it can - which means we can move it, turn it into something else, hide it or whatever we decide to do with it as admins to stop our members from doing nefarious things with it . . . not that I think any of my members would bother with something so pointless anyway.

Are you seriously continuing on with this? By putting a dot on your image to "look" online is now considered disrespectful? What? Are you serious?

There is no manipulation. Yes, you can replicate the look of the dot. Big deal. For most site admins (after all, we have licenses and run a site), we have been shown where it is and how it works. We KNOW it is in the top right hand corner of the avatar. When we pass the word down to each of our sites, we simply can say the same. Where is this mass confusion? This gaming of the system to appear online. If no tooltip appears, they are not online and just weakly attempting to be amusing.

If you don't like the location. MOVE IT. Simple. Sheeeesh.

JzIhTt3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom