Oh snaps! Digitalpoint switched over to Xenforo :D

The site is well done. It's an amazing job to get the switch over to the new software.

After IGN yet another blow for the guys at El Segundo. If XF can convince big boards like that when it's not even running full steam, just imagine what can happen when it does.

Shawn has written a mass of code to be able to migrate to XenForo.

It surely is no stock XenForo. Here are the addons that he created (the ones visible in the adminCP):

Image 2013.01.21 12 28 02 PM.webp
That's a very impressive list and includes vital functionality needed to run a large forum.

Hopefully he does. But that would be a massive amount of work.

I think its important to see that many of these functions are so essential that they need to be in the core.
I can't imagine running a big board or even a medium size board without:
  • edit thread title
  • email rollback
  • forum sorting
  • post cache
  • post edit history
  • thread edit history
  • user change log
  • user name change
  • badges

And I would certainly want the following functions, before migrating to XF:
  • user notes
  • watch forums
  • best answer
  • best thread
  • better editor

There are a lot of addons that are not completely clear what these do, but are likely to contain very useful features:
  • little things
  • attachments
  • new content filter
  • no hyperlink
  • premium member
  • thread bumping
  • enhanced search
  • tools
  • warning
  • virtual forums

It would be interesting to know what these do...

There are a lot of addons that are not completely clear what these do, but are likely to contain very useful features:
  • little things
  • attachments
  • new content filter
  • no hyperlink
  • premium member
  • thread bumping
  • enhanced search
  • tools
  • warning
  • virtual forums
It would be interesting to know what these do...
Little Things - a bunch of individually small things that I didn't feel like turning into an addon. Collectively, it's a ton of stuff though. For example it makes it so unestablished users can't have a homepage set (link spam), adds more help topics under the "Help" tab, gives the "Staff" option under Members tab (and removes member list), adds "Undelete Thread" under Thread Tools menu when you are looking at deleted thread, etc, etc... Lots of little things (like the name implies).

Attachments & Avatars - stores them the database (not file system), disallows animated avatars if your setup allows GIF avatars (via ImageMagick).

New Content Filter - Checks all URLs and images in a post to make sure they are valid and not a redirect (cuts down on affiliate links, and cookie stuffing attempts via images). Can also check for certain keywords in posts that send them to moderation.

No Hyperlink - Makes it so you can't post links if you are not an established user (link spam prevention basically).

Premium Member - Lots of internal things, like adds/removes premium member's Twitter accounts to a private Twitter list we have which feeds the social bar on our site (end result = premium members have their most recent tweets show in our social bar). Adds some stats to the Statistics charts in Admin area (for premium membership... duh.. heh)

Thread Bumping - Allows users to bump their thread without posting in it to put it at the top of the forum. Also hooked into our marketplace so users can use it to Relist unsold stuff.

Enhanced Search - XenForo's Elastic Search. :) My "Search" addon adds "Areas" tab to member profiles and makes a bunch of content types searchable (users, conversations & reports). Makes soft-deleted stuff searchable. Adds Elastic Search stats to admin area.

Tools - everything in https://tools.digitalpoint.com sub-domain.

Warning - allow moderators to immediately expire warnings they recently gave (accidental warning basically). If a warning is given for something that has an open report, the report is automatically closed. Make some adjustments to how many points users need to be banned based on if they are new or not. Calculate ban expiration date when needed (so user knows when there ban will be lifted).

Virtual Forums - allows a single forum to be in more than one place in the node tree.

no hyperlink would be perfect to have.

I still owe you lunch some day in SD for helping me make a ton of $ off that ad resource :D Gonna be wedding planning for the next 2 weeks in laguna argh, fun fun.

Shaun I suggest a conference with KAM seriously. Some of your stuff is essential core.
Like I've long thought that new users should not be able to post links in content or sig to prevent spam. Similarly New Content Filter.

I'd love to see user notes, virtual forum, watch forum become available.

About 70% of your list is essential functionality to me. It brings Xenforo (as a relatively new platform) near the functionality level of vbulletin 3/4, without adding bloat.

I really hope that this essential functionality will somehow be added to the XenForo core, because it makes a world of difference. Out of the box the jump from vbulletin to XenForo is problematic feature wise. Your added functionality solves a lot of it.

This is great for XF to see another very large forum like DP make the switch.

I don't possess the coding skills that Shaun nor KAM has so I await XF to develop a bit more before I can take the plunge in switching from vB 3.8 to XF. Looking forward to that day though!

Reactions: HWS
My "Search" addon adds "Areas" tab to member profiles and makes a bunch of content types searchable (users, conversations & reports). Makes soft-deleted stuff searchable.

Want.

Searching conversations is critical. I also think (possibly as a larger discussion about XF search in general) that things like user profile comments and... basically anything that you as a user have permission to see... should be searchable.

How much work was involved in writing the extension?

Well, let's hope most of those addons make it in 1.2 or that DP releases them in the resource manager.

Top Bottom