Off-Topic posts

blueshare

Some of our users would prefer not to see off-topic posts, as they are only interested in posts with valuable information, rather than chit-chat. Sometimes it is hard to find genuinely useful information amongst all the general posts. A good function would be if users could tag their own posts if they are off-topic, then people could decide whether they would want to automatically display off-topic posts or not... Would anyone be able to do this for us?

Some of our users would prefer not to see off-topic posts, as they are only interested in posts with valuable information, rather than chit-chat. Sometimes it is hard to find genuinely useful information amongst all the general posts. A good function would be if users could tag their own posts if they are off-topic, then people could decide whether they would want to automatically display off-topic posts or not... Would anyone be able to do this for us?

I am not sure I comopletely understand what you meant. Can you elaborate a litle further regarding the tagging of posts and their display?

So, for example, if we have a busy main thread about cars, most of the posts would be about cars but then some people might start chatting off-topic about their holidays. If the people who go off-topic could mark the posts as off-topic before making the post, it would mean that their post wouldn't be visible to other users who have chosen to view on-topic posts only. So users who are only interested in discussing cars wouldn't have to read about other people's holidays.

I can see the validity in this. But it would require more than user discipline.

For example every post could have a radio button you select, is the post on topic or off topic. If off topic the post could be displayed as such, e.g the text inside a spoiler might be one way.

I like that the more I think about it.

Exactly. A little radio button which says "Off-Topic?" next to the "Post Reply" button, would enable the users to mark it themselves. Our forum moderators could then encourage our users to use it, or to manually mark posts as off-topic.

Top Bottom