Fixed Odd Conversation Problem

Jeremy P

XenForo developer
Staff member
Running 1.0.4.

I can't consistently reproduce (it rarely comes up), however every once in a while, someone will reply to a convo so that their message will be the first on a new page, but when clicking in my inbox to view the conversation, it only shows the page before that message, with no link in the pagination controls to go to the next page (as if it didn't exist).

The conversation remains marked as 'unread' unless I reply to the conversation and get the next page to show, or manually change the URL to view the unaccounted for page.

Ah yes, knew I saw it somewhere (I'd even posted in that thread), but there were no open reports for this.

It doesn't come up often, but there's still a bug to be found somewhere.

I should note that while we've seen this bug in the wild, we don't know what causes it or how to reproduce it -- I have a guess relating to race conditions, but when I looked at the other instance of this, it didn't seem to come into play. If anyone has experienced this and knows if there's a particular sort of manipulation that happened to conversation, that'd be helpful. :)

There's only one reason that I can think of that this would happen and that's a race condition. I believe I've just fixed the race condition. But if it still happens after this, then something else is going on and we'll need to figure out how to track that down...

Top Bottom