XF 1.1 Notices

Welcome to a new series of Have You Seen videos, demonstrating some of the new features and improvements to come in XenForo 1.1.

First on the list: Notices.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
http://vimeo.com/27033663

Who would have thought that forum notices could be so cool? I really like the implementation, and the final example with the overlays blew my mind. Great work as always.

Aah darn the trophies have allot of new options but what happend to the:

Manually award trophies to a users ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-manually-award-trophies.3239/

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xentrophies-add-on.17260/

Gogo Mike where's you sight at?

The notice system is really nice, but also not per user. This could fit in nicely with the eeh "discourage" function by showing unwanted people messages like "virus detected" etc or just sending them warnings, updates, quick notes or even show the trophy you just received....

Thats the only thing i still mis, the option to award (manually) trophies/notices to a single user.

Kier made a boring, under-appreciated feature becomes a hot, new sexy thing with many potential uses. Way thumbs up to you guys.

Now, I'd like to see the sample code of that last example where Kier made the no-wrap slider thing. Ninja CSS skill on display right there.

I think you got that all wrong. I can honestly say that this was in no way ever an under appreciated feature but quite the reverse from hundreds of people whom used the features in a variety of ways, it was a feature I appreciated and made good use of (at another product) and even then I always rated this feature as being one of the best and vital to any community (used correctly of course). Of course, I expect xenforo's efforts (even though the other notice system was built by the same dev) to be better and more inline with todays standards and peoples higher expectations.

No way was this ever boring, if the person behind the computer could make use of it's full potential it was anything but. On that note, excellent work as always. (y)

Just a question. It looks like you can award people trophies by criteria that can go away in the future (like the post/like ratio). Does that mean trophies can be revoked, or will they just stay on your profile once you have them?

But there should be a way to rebuild them.

For example:
User gots a trophy for posting > 50 post.
He gets now the trophy, but what if it was only spam and if i delete 10? then he have only 40 and he shouldn't have the trophy^^ What will happen if he reaches 50 again?
Or what if i delete an post with likes? Will this rebuild the trophies?

Thought of that when I first saw it, but since by definition Custom profile fields are..Custom, I'm not sure how that could be done without an add-on. XF is good software, but I don't think it can predict what custom profile fields you will have.

well, not sure if my imagination goes to far, but....

there is software out there for years which tells a user whether he completed all of his "custom user profile fields". Like notifying the user that his profile (profile fields) are not completely filled-in yet and he only filled 30% of all profile-fields, therefore he is not able to do certain things at the respective Forum or website. So literally, if the user did not complete 100% of all "user profile fields", he will not have full rights to do whatever. This woud be just an option of course, but the main point is to notify the user of filling certain custom user-profiles.

so I would guess it should be possible as when the Admin creates a new "custom user profile" , e.g. "Hobbies", that the XF software then recognizes this new custom field and that there could be "Notifications" to the user based on the "custom profile field" ?

Regarding once-only notices, I did consider implementing those, but I figured that they are far too fleeting, and it's probably better to have admins add a note to their notices saying 'click x to dismiss' than have a notice that dismisses itself after a single view.

Regarding once-only notices, I did consider implementing those, but I figured that they are far too fleeting, and it's probably better to have admins add a note to their notices saying 'click x to dismiss' than have a notice that dismisses itself after a single view.
true story ;)

Kier, I'd just like to say, this feature is a wonderful demonstration of how innovative XenForo software is and can be in the future, you've taken a feature that was by it's normal nature just 'so so' and implemented it in a way that both make it usable for several purposes and sets groundwork for future features or add-ons.

Top job.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see this live, but it looks like the animated scrolling could get annoying.

Otherwise, a very impressive system :)

I have to admit, that is a concern. I'm wondering whether there's an option to disable the scroll and have a manual navigation option that would have some nice transitional effects which people could click to the next notice. It'll imo be definitely a focus point sitting in the thread listings and other areas where it's showing.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see this live, but it looks like the animated scrolling could get annoying.

Otherwise, a very impressive system :)

I agree, it could be annoying. I hope that we could have an option to disable the animation or change it to something like a fade which is a bit easier on the eyes.

I like the post/like ratio.
I'll be importing 48,857 posts by 5,189 members.
Those with a lot of previous posts will never get a good ratio. I'd love to be able to start the ratio based on a specific date.

Top Bottom