XF 2.1 Not getting alerts all the time

Renegade

I have noticed this behavior myself in the past and now has also been reported by my forum members, so putting up a query.

The notifications alerts stop working after some time/instances for a given thread. For example, I posted in a particular thread and I start getting notification when someone replies to the thread. However after a few days I do not get any more notifications for that particular thread when someone creates a new post. I can see that thread in the new posts list but have got no alert notifications. I think if I visit that thread again, then only I start getting the notifications again. That again only for few days/instances only.

This behavior of course causes lack of engagement for my users. If this an intended behavior and can it be changed?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
This is pretty much the designed behavior -- you only get the one notification until you read the thread again. There isn't anything built in to change it.

Mr Lucky

Here's an addon

Renegade

This is pretty much the designed behavior -- you only get the one notification until you read the thread again. There isn't anything built in to change it.
Thanks for confirming Mike, I wish there was a native way to disable that.

The notifications might expire for whatever reasons, like user might not visit the forum for a long time. If the user stops getting the notification then there is no way to bring them back. It is like a chain reaction and over time there will be zero notifications to bring the users back to the forums even though they would have participated in multiple threads.