Nodes As Tabs

Nodes As Tabs 1.5.1

No permission to download
Sorry folks if this has been asked before but I couldn't get my head around on some stuff.

I have three categories which I want to gather under one tab, is that possible? Basically what I want is that the user clicks on the navigation tab, it opens with the three categories and it Childs. How should my configuration look like?

I appreciate if anyone could point me to the right direction. Thanks.

Put all three categories under the same parent node. Then edit the parent node and make it a tab:

Display As Tab = checked
Depth Of Child Links = 1 or more depending on desired depth

@Jake Bunce forgive me but I have understand very little from that.

My categories are all in the root of my forum and their hierarchy is like this:

Category 1
Forum A
Forum 1
Forum 2
Forum 3
Forum B

Category 2
Forum A
Forum 1
Forum 2
Forum 3
Forum B

Category 2
Forum A
Forum 1
Forum 2
Forum 3
Forum B

Now what I want is that to have a tab named "Custom Tab" and when a user clicks on this tab the Categories 1,2 and 3 appears with their child tabs.

I wish I didn't have to, but I need to in order to comply with Google Adsense policies (can't have the menu cover the banner - allegedly risk of "accidental clicks").

If I want to do this I can't do so without adjusting the length of all drop-down menu items, including the primarily menu?

I may be able to use first-child selection. Please post the URL of the forum so I can actually work with your style to come up with some CSS for you.

I had done this accidentally but this time all my forums are showing up there. I want to select just the three categories to appear...

There is no option to explicitly select which children appear under their parent tab unless you were to enable the permission options for the parent tab and then restrict access to the children. Child links can obey permissions if you enable that option. Depending on your goal, this may or may not be a solution for you.

I may be able to use first-child selection. Please post the URL of the forum so I can actually work with your style to come up with some CSS for you.

That's be awesome! The url is http://www.writingforums.org (though you might want to evaluate http://www.writingforums.org/workshop/ instead - the submenu here is from nodes, my index page has 1-2 customized drop-down menus) In the meantime I've removed the ads that were being covered in order to come into compliance with Google.

Hi! I currently have the following config:

Articles (Category, Root Node, Display As Tab)
- story1 (Page with HTML content, Articles is Parent)
- story2 (Page with HTML content, Articles is Parent)
- story3 (Page with HTML content, Articles is Parent)
- Webmaster's Blog (hidden from Forums list, Articles is Parent, only Webmaster can publish new threads there)

--- Thread 1
--- Thread 2

--- Thread 3

But the format I would like is:

Articles (Category, Root Node, Display As Tab)
- Category1 (Category, Articles is Parent)
--- story1 (Page with HTML content, Category1 is Parent)
--- story2 (Page with HTML content, Category1 is Parent)
--- story3 (Page with HTML content, Category1 is Parent)
- Category2 (Category, Articles is Parent)

--- story4 (Page with HTML content, Category2 is Parent)
--- story5 (Page with HTML content, Category2 is Parent)
--- story6 (Page with HTML content, Category2 is Parent)

- Webmaster's Blog (hidden from Forums list, Articles is Parent, only Webmaster can publish new threads there)
--- Thread 1
--- Thread 2

--- Thread 3

My *problem* is that the Category1 / Category2 items end up displaying as if they are Forums when listed on the Articles page, and the Stories I create end up looking like threads. i.e., it counts "discussions" and "messages" within the display, and has a space to show the latest "thread". I don't want to show such preview detail.

So I think I need a different style, but for the Articles node only. I don't want to change how things look on the Forums list itself (which is a totally separate node and contains all my real forums).

Thoughts on how to do this?

Last edited:
Is it possible to change the position of the resource tab? So it isn't right after "Forums" but maybe at the end of the tab list?

I'm trying to use this add-on to build a tab with 3 columns of links underneath it. So I would have something like:

TABNAME
row1 > column1 name - --- column 2 name ----- column 3 name
row 2 > link1 ------------ link 2 -------------- link3
row 3 > link4 ------------ link 5 -------------- link6

And the problem I'm having is that I don't see a way of creating the row1 titles with no links. If i put http://# , then it still converts the text to a link and that just reloads the page when you click it. And it doesn't allow blank url fields. (and that includes the parent tab , I'd like to have that without link too)

Any ideas?

edit: also can i put target=_blank to any of the links i put in the tabs?

edit 2: question 3 :D : I create a new link forum, give it a url, and assign it to an existing tabid (in this case "forums") but it never shows up under that tab on my menu. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Last edited:
I'm trying to use Nodes as Tabs to add a link forum to an affiliate website.

The problem is... is that it strips out all of the extra code in the a href that it needs to work and when I look at the source it just shows a link to the link forum.

How do I add the affiliate link to the menu? Is it possible?

Basically when I add the url portion of the site code it strips is out:

Code:
<a href="http://www.affiliatesite.com"
    onclick="redacted java; return false;"
    title="Get information.">More Info</a>

When I paste the a href part of that code into the link of the link forum the onclick information seems to be lost.

The java that the onclick reacts to is posted correctly in the site.

Any ideas on how best to proceed?

I'm trying to use Nodes as Tabs to add a link forum to an affiliate website.

The problem is... is that it strips out all of the extra code in the a href that it needs to work and when I look at the source it just shows a link to the link forum.

How do I add the affiliate link to the menu? Is it possible?

Basically when I add the url portion of the site code it strips is out:

Code:
<a href="http://www.affiliatesite.com"
    onclick="redacted java; return false;"
    title="Get information.">More Info</a>

When I paste the a href part of that code into the link of the link forum the onclick information seems to be lost.

The java that the onclick reacts to is posted correctly in the site.

Any ideas on how best to proceed?

Link-forums function as redirects.

You may wish to manually edit the navigation template instead of using this addon:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-add-a-new-tab-in-the-navbar.7781/

That allows you direct control over the HTML for your purposes.

I'm trying to use this add-on to build a tab with 3 columns of links underneath it. So I would have something like:

TABNAME
row1 > column1 name - --- column 2 name ----- column 3 name
row 2 > link1 ------------ link 2 -------------- link3
row 3 > link4 ------------ link 5 -------------- link6

And the problem I'm having is that I don't see a way of creating the row1 titles with no links. If i put http://# , then it still converts the text to a link and that just reloads the page when you click it. And it doesn't allow blank url fields. (and that includes the parent tab , I'd like to have that without link too)

Any ideas?

edit: also can i put target=_blank to any of the links i put in the tabs?

edit 2: question 3 :D : I create a new link forum, give it a url, and assign it to an existing tabid (in this case "forums") but it never shows up under that tab on my menu. Is this how it is supposed to work?

This shows how to use javascript to override the link:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs.26687/page-7#post-389478

You can use similar code to set a target (instead of href).

That is correct.

Screen shot 2013-11-30 at 9.00.17 PM.webp

Is it possible to change the position of the resource tab? So it isn't right after "Forums" but maybe at the end of the tab list?

That is not related to this addon. But for your information:

library/XenResource/Listener/Template.php

You can specify 'end' for the position:

Rich (BB code):
	public static function navigationTabs(&$extraTabs, $selectedTabId)
	{
		if (XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->hasPermission('resource', 'view'))
		{
			$extraTabs['resources'] = array(
				'title' => new XenForo_Phrase('resources'),
				'href' => XenForo_Link::buildPublicLink('full:resources'),
				'position' => 'middle',
				'linksTemplate' => 'resources_tab_links'
			);
		}
	}

Top Bottom