Nodes As Tabs

Nodes As Tabs 1.5.1

No permission to download
Hi, is there an easy way to show different tabs to different user groups? I would like to create a separate menu for guests and then change it for users after they log in. So I would need to create 2 separate menus. Is that possible with this addon? Easy to do?

You can create separate node tabs with different permissions, and enable permission checking for the tabs. That would allow you to show different tabs based on groups.

Or if you only want to change the secondary links then you can specify a Links Template for the node tab and use group conditions in that template:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/usergroup-checking-in-the-templates.9447/

Whats the best solution (or maybe this is in the works) so we can actually view a list of whats in the navbar and order them example:

1. forums
2. blogs
3. addon1
4. addon2
5. members

And so on? Like basically order them in exactly how we need to without having to go and edit the resources code or what not?

Whats the best solution (or maybe this is in the works) so we can actually view a list of whats in the navbar and order them example:

1. forums
2. blogs
3. addon1
4. addon2
5. members

And so on? Like basically order them in exactly how we need to without having to go and edit the resources code or what not?

There is no complete nav manager like that. This addon creates new tabs. It does not manage other non-node tabs.

For reference:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/remove-page-title-custom-home-landing-page.24334/#post-297908

Was this addon just updated? I got an email saying it was updated; however I dont see a version higher than 1.1.3

First, let me say that I LOVE this addon—really incredible work.

One solution I haven't been able to figure out is how to get my "Link Forum" tabs/children to work on the Log In / Sign Up page when a user isn't logged in.

Here is some additional information that may be helpful:
  • It's important to me that an unregistered user gets the Log In/Sign Up page when try to visit my forum (attached). I don't want to see anything about the forum until they get logged in. (This is the page that all my redirects stop working on)
  • I have "View Node" and "View" set to "No" for unregistered users in my General Settings to make sure that happens
  • I have tried setting the "View Node" permission to "Allow" for all my Link Forum tabs/children, but it doesn't do anything
Any ideas on what I could try next?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 5.46.40 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 5.46.40 AM.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 19
First, let me say that I LOVE this addon—really incredible work.

One solution I haven't been able to figure out is how to get my "Link Forum" tabs/children to work on the Log In / Sign Up page when a user isn't logged in.

Here is some additional information that may be helpful:
  • It's important to me that an unregistered user gets the Log In/Sign Up page when try to visit my forum (attached). I don't want to see anything about the forum until they get logged in. (This is the page that all my redirects stop working on)
  • I have "View Node" and "View" set to "No" for unregistered users in my General Settings to make sure that happens
  • I have tried setting the "View Node" permission to "Allow" for all my Link Forum tabs/children, but it doesn't do anything
Any ideas on what I could try next?

The View permission in groups trumps everything. If users do not have that permission then they can't view anything on the forum no matter what. In the case of guests that means all forum pages will show a login screen.

So it should be working. But are you having a problem with this addon?

The View permission in groups trumps everything. If users do not have that permission then they can't view anything on the forum no matter what. In the case of guests that means all forum pages will show a login screen.

So it should be working. But are you having a problem with this addon?

Jake, thanks for getting back to me. I've used Nodes As Tabs to create a navigation menu that is identical to that of my main site so that users have no idea they left Wordpress. The problem is that when unregistered users click on any of the menus, nothing happens. I'm assuming it's because I have the "View" Group Permission set to "No" for these users, because it's important to me that Unregistered users get the full-page Log In screen when they land in the forums.

Is there a way to get the Nodes as Tabs navigation menu to still work in this situation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 6.37.10 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 6.37.10 AM.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 13
If the link-forum links to anything on the forum then they will get a login screen. The link-forum itself is a node and it will show as a menu or secondary link in the navbar depending on how you have the node tab setup. Your exact usage of this addon is still unclear though. Is the problem that the link-forum is not showing in the navbar? Is the link-forum a tab itself? Is it underneath a node tab? Or has it been manually assigned to a tab id?

Jake, I'll try to explain it a different way to help bring some clarity to what's going on.

I have used the addon to create the navigation menu for my users when they are inside Xenforo. It perfectly matches the menu for the full wordpress site that xenforo is working along side with. I have attached a screenshot of the navigation menu for you to see. All of the navigation tabs and their children (minus the Community and Album tab) were created by the addon as "Link Forum" nodes.

When a user is logged in, everything works perfectly. However, when a user is logged out, the navigation menu won't forward to the pages they are linked to. They show up, but they are not functional. (screenshot of Contact page settings attached) I am guessing that this is because I have "View" set to "No" in the Unregistered Group Permissions so that the full page login box is visible when an unregistered user tries to access the forum.

What can I do to make the navigation menu forward to the correct pages for unregistered users while still keeping the full page login box visible?

Attachments

• Preview of “Edit Link Forum- Contact.webp
    Preview of “Edit Link Forum- Contact.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 1.31.47 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 1.31.47 PM.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 1.32.34 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 1.32.34 PM.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 10
Jake, I'll try to explain it a different way to help bring some clarity to what's going on.

I have used the addon to create the navigation menu for my users when they are inside Xenforo. It perfectly matches the menu for the full wordpress site that xenforo is working along side with. I have attached a screenshot of the navigation menu for you to see. All of the navigation tabs and their children (minus the Community and Album tab) were created by the addon as "Link Forum" nodes.

When a user is logged in, everything works perfectly. However, when a user is logged out, the navigation menu won't forward to the pages they are linked to. They show up, but they are not functional. (screenshot of Contact page settings attached) I am guessing that this is because I have "View" set to "No" in the Unregistered Group Permissions so that the full page login box is visible when an unregistered user tries to access the forum.

What can I do to make the navigation menu forward to the correct pages for unregistered users while still keeping the full page login box visible?

Have you tried to check the box "Check nodes permissions"? Users who can not view the links will not see and thus avoids the bad redirection.

Salud2

Have you tried to check the box "Check nodes permissions"? Users who can not view the links will not see and thus avoids the bad redirection.

Salud2
Thank you for the suggestion, but all users will need to be able to view the navigation tabs in order to get around the site.

Please clarify. You want the link-forum to go to a different page for guests? What is the "correct page"?

Of course if the guest doesn't have View then any forum page will show a login box. That includes any forum page that is linked to by a link-forum. The node permissions of the link-forum are separate from the permissions of the actual target page. The link-forum permissions can only be used to show or hide the link itself.

Please clarify. You want the link-forum to go to a different page for guests? What is the "correct page"?

Of course if the guest doesn't have View then any forum page will show a login box. That includes any forum page that is linked to by a link-forum. The node permissions of the link-forum are separate from the permissions of the actual target page. The link-forum permissions can only be used to show or hide the link itself.

If someone is logged in, and they click the Contact menu tab (which is really a Link Forum Node), they go to the /contact Wordpress page. I want the same thing to happen if someone is not logged in as well.

What it sounds like you are telling me is that it's impossible to have both a full-page login screen AND a functionable navigation bar that is build with Nodes As Tabs. Is that correct?

The link-forum tab won't show on the Wordpress page. XenForo's navbar only shows on XenForo pages. When you click that link-forum and it takes you to the Wordpress page you are leaving XenForo so this addon is no longer in play.

The target of a link-forum doesn't change. The target will be the same for guests and members.

The Wordpress page doesn't use XenForo permissions or a XenForo login form.

The link-forum tab won't show on the Wordpress page. XenForo's navbar only shows on XenForo pages. When you click that link-forum and it takes you to the Wordpress page you are leaving XenForo so this addon is no longer in play.

The target of a link-forum doesn't change. The target will be the same for guests and members.

The Wordpress page doesn't use XenForo permissions or a XenForo login form.

Jake, I understand all of what you said. I'm not talking anything about anything inside of Wordpress. The link-forum's I've created simply link to Wordpress, but unregistered users are unable to click them while at Xenforo's full-page login screen.

To try and slice it a different way. Here's a list of my needs:
  • A full-page login screen inside of Xenforo for all unregistered or non-signed in users
  • A fully-functionable navigation bar that is built with Nodes As Tabs that links out to Wordpress pages that still works even if someone isn't registered or signed in
Hopefully this helps.

Is there any way to handle long page titles effectively? Below is a link to my example. Once you open the link, click on the Teams drop down and you'll see once you select an item that the sub navigation only lists 5-6 items because of their long titles.

http://www.mvfctalk.com/index.php

Also, is it by design that once you select a resource under a specific tab that the dropdown will not work again until you're on another tab? If not, how do you make that work so they can simply select another item from the dropdown?

Jake, I understand all of what you said. I'm not talking anything about anything inside of Wordpress. The link-forum's I've created simply link to Wordpress, but unregistered users are unable to click them while at Xenforo's full-page login screen.

To try and slice it a different way. Here's a list of my needs:
  • A full-page login screen inside of Xenforo for all unregistered or non-signed in users
  • A fully-functionable navigation bar that is built with Nodes As Tabs that links out to Wordpress pages that still works even if someone isn't registered or signed in
Hopefully this helps.
When you are in redirected login page, the Nodes as tab links from your contact tab don't redirect to external XenForo page if the user is unregistered user and you think you should redirect, I understand.

Redirects should operate the same on any page, whether full page logon or not.

What is the address of your website?

Salud2

Top Bottom