Implemented New Posts Block

Daniel Hood

The new posts block is a little confusing;

Currently it shows the threads with the most recent replies. That's fine but it shows the avatar and the username of the thread starter which makes it seem like Mike just posted in the HYS thread when in actuality, someone else posted in it 'a moment ago' and he was just the one starting it.

I recommend either changing it to 'Threads With New Posts' or changing the avatar and username to the last poster and maybe showing the mini-avatar of the thread starter like in the thread view where the starter is the big avatar and your avatar is the mini if you've posted in the thread.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's worth noting that the "New Posts" page is the same -- it's effectively the same data. I can see what you mean, but "threads with new posts" seems unwieldy.

We're discussing this internally but you have to basically consider it to be roughly the same layout as the New Posts page.

It's a list of threads which have got new posts in. The thread title links to the unread post. The avatar is the thread starter. The last post info (the date in the case of the block) links to the last post.

It would seem inconsistent to me to have it any other way.

I do see your point now. However, I feel like with the thread view layout displaying the last message column, it makes it very clear what is what. I'm not trying to knit pick and I get the logic but the fact it even tripped me up is a little concerning. It basically comes down to the new posts block should display information relating to the new post, currently it just displays information related to the thread in which the new post is in. The only piece of data related to the actual post is the time stamp and the fact the time stamp links to the post.

I can see what you mean, but "threads with new posts" seems unwieldy.
I must admit, it was a pretty sarcastic suggestion although I wouldn't hate that block lol. It's a long title for a block but in it's current form it's far more accurate.

Whether this gets implemented here or not, the change could likely be as simple as changing:

Latest: [Time stamp]

To:

Latest: [User], [time stamp]

I agree with Daniel, it is confusing showing the avatar of the thread starter in a block entitled New Posts. I thought the avatar was of the person who had made the new post.

I appreciate it's taking the same data at the New Posts page understand the need for consistency. It's the missing last message information that is leading to the confusion.

I find it confusing not only because of the avatar. The block states 'new posts' followed by the avatar and name of the person who started the thread. Because the block is titled 'new posts' the avatars and member names are interpreted as if these members posted new posts. In most instances this is not the case.

Also: Should this block link to the last unread post? It doesn't seem to do this.

If there is read marking data for the thread, the thread title will redirect to the first unread post. The date will link to the specific (last) post.

It would seem inconsistent to me to have it any other way.
Right now it seems pretty misleading though. It works on the new posts page because as said above the last message column is there. Remove that data and you have a similar situation.
I feel like with the thread view layout displaying the last message column, it makes it very clear what is what.

Whether this gets implemented here or not, the change could likely be as simple as changing:

Latest: [Time stamp]

To:

Latest: [User], [time stamp]
If it's kept as is, this is probably the easiest way to make things less confusing. Or rename the title to something such as "Active Threads" (or whatever else is short and concise)...? If we're going with thread starter info I think it needs to use the thread keyword in the title.

Top Bottom