Sal Collaziano

I think it would be a good idea to make the mobile XenForo experience similar to the Facebook experience. It's just what people expect these days. Instead of the New Posts page just showing the title on one line, poster's username and forum title on the second, and replies and time on the third - show the user's name and avatar at the top, the post (characters adjustable per admin) so people can be drawn in to comment, an image (if the thread has one) and a LIKE and COMMENT button beneath it...

It also wouldn't hurt if there was a way for admins to participate in a scenario where a single feed would be created from various forum databases (opt in) so that people could browse many forum topics in one place...

Upvote 7
IMO, this would be an excellent plugin....users could choose their "home view" between the normal forumhome layout versus starting on a social-style layout. With 70% of users on mobile, it would be a great option.
I would do a screen-shot mockup but I'm pretty sure everyone already knows exactly how things could/would look...

I think it would be a good idea to make the mobile XenForo experience similar to the Facebook experience. It's just what people expect these days. Instead of the New Posts page just showing the title on one line, poster's username and forum title on the second, and replies and time on the third - show the user's name and avatar at the top, the post (characters adjustable per admin) so people can be drawn in to comment, an image (if the thread has one) and a LIKE and COMMENT button beneath it...

It also wouldn't hurt if there was a way for admins to participate in a scenario where a single feed would be created from various forum databases (opt in) so that people could browse many forum topics in one place...
The quality of a response if often diminished with the use of a facebook style in my opinion. One liners rather than a body of text can work in some forums but when its technical its different.

You also get a rash of the same questions over and over again. People forget to search.

Its the instant gratification generation.

I would NOT include the option to comment, but would force them into the actual thread....mobile already has "one liner" replies however.

But displaying a friendly/expandable timeline of content, based on the sections/friends you follow, would help keep users interacting more.

I would NOT include the option to comment, but would force them into the actual thread....mobile already has "one liner" replies however.

But displaying a friendly/expandable timeline of content, based on the sections/friends you follow, would help keep users interacting more.
Wouldn't that then be just displaying the Latest Activity content on the default home page for mobile users?

EDIT: Or the "Your News Feed", based on what you're after (posts of people you follow versus site activity)...

Those both show too little information....ideally, they would show the first-thread summary AND the recent reply(s).

In my case, with an automotive-forum, the "social feed" would include date-sorted content from all watched threads/sections and from the individual members they are following. Content specific to what the user is interested in, not a general catch-all of everything.

Any further input? I really think a design that displays CONTENT rather than a simple TITLE and draws people into conversations to either REPLY or REACT would make a huge difference for forums. Aren't we concerned about the future anymore? Or do all the forum software creators just want to stand by and let other platforms take what little is left? How long before some other software developer does exactly what I'm suggesting? Why not be the first?

Those both show too little information....ideally, they would show the first-thread summary AND the recent reply(s).

In my case, with an automotive-forum, the "social feed" would include date-sorted content from all watched threads/sections and from the individual members they are following. Content specific to what the user is interested in, not a general catch-all of everything.
I agree with this... I would take this a step further and say that there should be an option on the forum view (forumdisplay in vb terms) to display a snippet of the thread post right under the title with a "read more" link - the same snippet that shows in the tooltip when you hover over the title. And displaying a few replies just below that, similar to the way FB does it, with a link to "view all" to take you to the thread, would be great too. Maybe show the replies that have received the most likes, or have it be an option on how to choose the replies and how many to show for each thread.

These options would live in the "Threads, Discussions and Conversations" settings (XF1, not sure where it would live XF2) and could be disabled there. You could also carry this over to Search Results, New Posts, What's New and the News Feed.

Anyone here ever have to tell users they need to use descriptive thread titles? And do they? That's one of the reasons why this makes sense. Show a snippet with a "read more" link, or even use Ajax to expand the entire first post on that same page... but force the user to go to the thread to see the replies before they can post a reply themselves - this way you don't get the same issue you get with FB with everyone replying with the same thing because they didn't see the 50 other collapsed replies by others. It would, however, be a good idea to allow them to Like the thread from that view though, as well as Report, Bookmark and Share - show moderator tools too.

There NEEDS to be REAL change to the way forums operate. It's not 1995 anymore. Forums need to be as easy and COMPELLING to use as Facebook and there's no reason why they shouldn't be. If people come to a page via mobile (which is going to be almost everybody soon), they need to see an image and some verbiage - otherwise they will just keep scrolling and eventually go back to Facebook.

There NEEDS to be REAL change to the way forums operate. It's not 1995 anymore. Forums need to be as easy and COMPELLING to use as Facebook and there's no reason why they shouldn't be. If people come to a page via mobile (which is going to be almost everybody soon), they need to see an image and some verbiage - otherwise they will just keep scrolling and eventually go back to Facebook.
Agree with you, but one of the things holding back a fundamental shift in the design philosophy of forum user interfaces is that the people who still use forums like the way they are organized and the way they work. They don't all like the casual Facebook user interface. So to move away from the format that is embraced by the people who still use forums, in hopes to attract those who have moved away from forums is a bit risky.

With that said, it seems safe to say that the reason people have embraced Fecalbook, I mean Facebook, is due to the ease of use - mainly on mobile devices. Offering options that blend in user interface elements that are widely used on social media mobile apps makes a LOT of sense. Give the options toggles to be disabled completely, and allow them to be turned on in different ways. Giving admins the ability to make the interface easier to engage with, and slowly turn the forum into a more modern looking system in ways that people have gotten used to with the popular social platforms makes sense. Giving the user the power to adjust the way they browse the forum and how it looks is also a good idea to counteract the negative response to change from the existing user base.

I see members in the automotive community saying "make forums great again" on FB quite a bit (and not to be political). Many people on there truly do want to see forums make a big comeback, because forums do have a way of generating some great content from members in a way that social media doesn't. And some of us want to be the ones to help make that happen. I know I do. We don't want to see forums turn into data archives where people only go to search for info, just to hop back to their FB app to participate.

I think making more content available in more places to be engaged with, as suggested here, is a good step in the right direction. Adding snippets of the thread content in several places where there are only thread titles makes a lot of sense. Allowing them to view a few replies makes sense. Allowing them to post reactions to the thread and the replies (likes) at that point makes sense. A "read more" link to draw them into the thread to read the replies before they post their own makes sense.

Unfortunately, FB has perpetuated the behavior of posting before you read what others before you posted - both for the initial post and the replies to posts. You know it's bad when repetitive questions and answers on FB actually make forums look good. So there has to be some careful thought put into how to show them more content while pushing them to read what others have said before they post themselves.

Agree with you, but one of the things holding back a fundamental shift in the design philosophy of forum user interfaces is that the people who still use forums like the way they are organized and the way they work. They don't all like the casual Facebook user interface. So to move away from the format that is embraced by the people who still use forums, in hopes to attract those who have moved away from forums is a bit risky.

With that said, it seems safe to say that the reason people have embraced Fecalbook, I mean Facebook, is due to the ease of use - mainly on mobile devices. Offering options that blend in user interface elements that are widely used on social media mobile apps makes a LOT of sense. Give the options toggles to be disabled completely, and allow them to be turned on in different ways. Giving admins the ability to make the interface easier to engage with, and slowly turn the forum into a more modern looking system in ways that people have gotten used to with the popular social platforms makes sense. Giving the user the power to adjust the way they browse the forum and how it looks is also a good idea to counteract the negative response to change from the existing user base.

I see members in the automotive community saying "make forums great again" on FB quite a bit (and not to be political). Many people on there truly do want to see forums make a big comeback, because forums do have a way of generating some great content from members in a way that social media doesn't. And some of us want to be the ones to help make that happen. I know I do. We don't want to see forums turn into data archives where people only go to search for info, just to hop back to their FB app to participate.

I think making more content available in more places to be engaged with, as suggested here, is a good step in the right direction. Adding snippets of the thread content in several places where there are only thread titles makes a lot of sense. Allowing them to view a few replies makes sense. Allowing them to post reactions to the thread and the replies (likes) at that point makes sense. A "read more" link to draw them into the thread to read the replies before they post their own makes sense.

Unfortunately, FB has perpetuated the behavior of posting before you read what others before you posted - both for the initial post and the replies to posts. You know it's bad when repetitive questions and answers on FB actually make forums look good. So there has to be some careful thought put into how to show them more content while pushing them to read what others have said before they post themselves.
Quickly, really busy. Just give the option for new age or classic forum interface.

Quickly, really busy. Just give the option for new age or classic forum interface.
That would make it easy for us admins, but it depends on how different those interfaces become. The XF developers have to make some big changes to the code for a new interface that not all forum admins are going to think is necessary in order to make that happen. And I know they don't like making two very different UIs available that they have to support and test for, let alone do it for the vocal minority.

I would also opine that a copycat layout does not a good forum make. Meaning FB forums are not popular because of their kickass format but because they're an extension of a 2Billion member social ad framework that everyone's using.

I personally find FB groups utterly stupid and unworkable, and frankly I wouldn't even want that sort of content in my forums.

Sure there's definitely some niceties like snippets and images that could be migrated over but the FB layout fundamentally encourages the fire and forget model that has little to do with actual discourse.

I would also opine that a copycat layout does not a good forum make. Meaning FB forums are not popular because of their kickass format but because they're an extension of a 2Billion member social ad framework that everyone's using.

I personally find FB groups utterly stupid and unworkable, and frankly I wouldn't even want that sort of content in my forums.

Sure there's definitely some niceties like snippets and images that could be migrated over but the FB layout fundamentally encourages the fire and forget model that has little to do with actual discourse.
And why are they using it? Everyone of my members I talk to who uses FB daily use it because it's easy to interact with, as to where forums are more cumbersome to interact with. Those of use who are requesting elements of of the popular social media user interfaces out there are not necessarily looking to create copycat layouts. But we are looking to test new elements to grow engagement by way of modernizing the forum interface while also trying to limit the negative aspects you pointed out in FB, as I also mentioned in my post above.

And even if some forum admins do want to create copycat layouts, who am I to say they're wrong for trying? It might work out great for their community. So long as admins like you who disagree with those types of major layout changes can maintain the legacy look, it shouldn't matter. And even more so if we can give the members the ability to maintain a fairly legacy look. Nothing being proposed here has the potential to replicate the garbage in FB groups, in and of itself.

Last edited:
And why are they using it? Everyone of my members I talk to who uses FB daily use it because it's easy to interact with, as to where forums are more cumbersome to interact with. Those of use who are requesting elements of of the popular social media user interfaces out there are not necessarily looking to create copycat layouts. But we are looking to test new elements to grow engagement by way of modernizing the forum interface while also trying to limit the negative aspects you pointed out in FB, as I also mentioned in my post above.

And even if some forum admins do want to create copycat layouts, who am I to say they're wrong for trying? It might work out great for their community. So long as admins like you who disagree with those types of major layout changes can maintain the legacy look, it shouldn't matter. Nothing being proposed here has the potential to replicate the garbage in FB groups, in and of itself.

They're using groups because they're already using Facebook hence inherently more accessible by design.

Also the OP here was requesting that xf adopt a Facebook like layout because FB somehow equals future which I disagree with. I'm definitely in favour of alternative designs and improvements but would be vehemently opposed to a FB clone.

They're using groups because they're already using Facebook hence inherently more accessible by design.

Also the OP here was requesting that xf adopt a Facebook like layout because FB somehow equals future which I disagree with. I'm definitely in favour of alternative designs and improvements but would be vehemently opposed to a FB clone.
You keep talking specifically about FB Groups, where I think the original poster and others here are talking more broadly about FB in general, in addition to FB Groups, IG, and other platforms that are easy to interact with on mobile.

In all reality, there really is no reason to debate if FB is the future or not - it's the present, for better or worse. They're setting the standard and shaping user behavior and interface expectations. Trying to clone their layout 100% could very well take away from what forums do well. But blending some of their ease of use browsing features and interaction features into options that can be enabled/disabled by admins and select-able by our members makes a lot of sense. In other words, I think we all agree on the suggestion, we might just not completely agree on why people use FB, which is perfectly okay.

Top Bottom