No permission to download
Last edited:
Could I use this only for viewing a list of new threads (do the permissions allow turning just that part on)? And can I limit the New Threads option to selected usergroups?

Yes to both questions. But keep in mind that the permissions are just for the tab headings / navigation links and not for the actual tab contents..

Yes to both questions. But keep in mind that the permissions are just for the tab headings / navigation links and not for the actual tab contents..
Thanks - we have a busy forum and I want to be able to view new threads for possible inclusion in our social media feeds, which is difficult to do with default XF (although it has been suggested).

How much is the branding removal please?

@Thomas.B something is seriously wrong with my Recent / New posts pages on CycleChat.net with this add-on enabled - it doesn't appear to be working at all as expected.

With the add-on enabled the first page of results for Recent Posts for guests, for example, is a list going back hours and hours to much earlier in the day - when in fact there are enough posts within the last 45 mins to fill the page.

What would you need from me to troubleshoot this please?

Thanks,
Shaun

Okay, here are my settings for guests (who can only view Recent posts):

upload_2017-1-27_21-6-50.webp

I don't want a tab of new posts and threads so have disabled that one - this should give me two tabs in the recent posts results - Recent Posts & Recent Threads - which it does:

upload_2017-1-27_21-7-54.webp

However, the Recent Posts results don't include all of the recent posts:

upload_2017-1-27_21-8-40.webp

There are many more new posts than that, which is evident when I enable the Recent Posts and Threads tab:

upload_2017-1-27_21-10-21.webp

Sooo ... do I need to disable the 'Posts' tab and rename the Post and Threads tab to just Posts?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Last edited:
Sooo ... do I need to disable the 'Posts' tab and rename the Post and Threads tab to just Posts?
From experimenting with turning the permissions on/off I've found that the tab [Recent/New] Posts and Threads actually shows the full results I'd expect, rather than [Recent/New] Posts which seems to show a very limited selection and nowhere near all of the posts it should.

So my solution has been to rename the [Recent/New] Posts and Threads tabs to [Recent/New] Posts and disable the actual Posts permission so that tab is not shown:

upload_2017-1-27_22-5-40.webp

upload_2017-1-27_22-7-8.webp

upload_2017-1-27_22-7-41.webp

I guess the problem was the terminology. It can indeed be somewhat confusing as this add-on defines the term „new/recent posts“ differently than XenFore (see description). For example, the XF „New Posts“ are the same as „New Posts and Threads“ in this add-on. Unfortunately I had to redefine these terms as otherwise it would probably be even more confusing..

I guess the problem was the terminology. It can indeed be somewhat confusing as this add-on defines the term „new/recent posts“ differently than XenFore (see description). For example, the XF „New Posts“ are the same as „New Posts and Threads“ in this add-on. Unfortunately I had to redefine these terms as otherwise it would probably be even more confusing..
Okay, no problem, thanks Thomas - I worked it out and after adjusting the phrases it is now working as expected.

Thanks for the prompt and full reply. (y)

Any chance this will be updated for XF2? I've upgraded to 2 and the natives are already starting to rebel that there's no option to get only new threads on a forum-wide basis. ;)

Actually I haven't decided yet. But if I'm going to upgrade it, it won't be a free add-on as I have too little time for that. Also I would develop it next year at the earliest...

Actually I haven't decided yet. But if I'm going to upgrade it, it won't be a free add-on as I have too little time for that. Also I would develop it next year at the earliest...
That's cool, Thomas, I wouldn't mind paying a little for it. Thanks for the response.

From experimenting with turning the permissions on/off I've found that the tab [Recent/New] Posts and Threads actually shows the full results I'd expect, rather than [Recent/New] Posts which seems to show a very limited selection and nowhere near all of the posts it should.

So my solution has been to rename the [Recent/New] Posts and Threads tabs to [Recent/New] Posts and disable the actual Posts permission so that tab is not shown:

View attachment 147078

View attachment 147080

View attachment 147081

I ended up doing the same thing was I was confused as well. Thanks for the tip, it was very helpful at getting this sorted out! : )

And props to the @Thomas.B for a great add-on.

Ray

I have a category of forums where permissions are such that folks can view the thread titles but they can't view the thread content unless they are a member of that usergroup. It's been a great way of getting folks to pony up for a membership.

Is there a way I can adjust this add-on to honor those settings? As it is it completely excludes threads even though the non-member user has permission to view the thread title so those threads are not showing up at all.

Attached is an example of a non-member's permissions for the member only node.

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 2.36.41 PM.webp

Thanks!
Ray

Last edited:
Top Bottom