[n] Best Answer / Q&A System

[n] Best Answer / Q&A System [Paid] 1.1.2

No permission to buy (£25.00)
Oh yay =D And what's the difference between 1.0.5 and 1.0.5a?
Small bug fix, you just need to upload the files for that. No need to upgrade in the Admin CP using XML file. The mini display only worked on the page that had the best answer, so this adds multi paged support (bugfix).

I think the best addons (for AVForums at least) are the ones which are based around enhancing existing forum functionality to improve the user experience. Members are familiar with forums, threads and posts and are reluctant to use anything else.
New features like the media gallery and the showcase were virtually ignored by AVForums members.
So I really like the idea of tweaking how forums, threads and posts work in order to achieve a particular goal.

The goal of Best Answers is, in my mind, to
  • allow members to indicate that they are asking a question and inviting people to reply with an answer (this is largely down to the 'Question' prefix).
  • with prefixes, allow members to isolate and find questions so they can answer them (optimistic but let's run with it).
  • allow members to indicate which answer they think is the best. Getting people to vote is the hard part, which is why you need to make the button very much a 'Call To Action' and prompt the OP to vote.
  • enable readers (who might have the same question) to save time and skip directly to what is considered to be the best answer by displaying a prominent link to it under the first post. This is like the Stack Exchange solution somewhat
  • indicate alternative opinions and options to the reader for a broader solution by displaying more than one best answer.
  • indicate what questions have been answered by changing the prefix to 'Answered'. This helps readers easily see in the thread list if similar questions to their have been answered.
  • reward members (via trophy points) for replying to questions with best answers.
  • ultimately get questions answered and build up a repository of useful information.

The goal of Best Answers is, in my mind, to
  • allow members to indicate that they are asking a question and inviting people to reply with an answer (this is largely down to the 'Question' prefix).
  • with prefixes, allow members to isolate and find questions so they can answer them (optimistic but let's run with it).
  • allow members to indicate which answer they think is the best. Getting people to vote is the hard part, which is why you need to make the button very much a 'Call To Action' and prompt the OP to vote.
  • enable readers (who might have the same question) to save time and skip directly to what is considered to be the best answer by displaying a prominent link to it under the first post. This is like the Stack Exchange solution somewhat
  • indicate alternative opinions and options to the reader for a broader solution by displaying more than one best answer.
  • indicate what questions have been answered by changing the prefix to 'Answered'. This helps readers easily see in the thread list if similar questions to their have been answered.
  • reward members (via trophy points) for replying to questions with best answers.
  • ultimately get questions answered and build up a repository of useful information.
And as of update 1.1.0 we do all of that too! :) (minus the C2A button, which can be styled and done yourself, we provide the code, you can do the styling for the button, feedback thread is open to see exactly how we want to add a C2A button).

A lot of extra things were neglected by my members too, they prefer to keep it simple and don't like to use things they're not used to.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to pay for something if I don't know if it will be supported, especially since this hasn't been formally updated to support 1.5 yet.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to pay for something if I don't know if it will be supported, especially since this hasn't been formally updated to support 1.5 yet.
It has supported 1.5 for a while? There was no additional update to ensure XF compatibility. I could release a generic update to say "Supports XF 1.5" but it's not going to change a single line of code, as XF 1.5 didn't affect any of that.

Here is Best Answer v1.1.0 HYS thread, just within a week ago: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/best-answer-v1-1-0.22/

Doesn't seem to be any activity going on on Apantic.
Apantic is very active right now. We've sent some invites to hire more developers and designers and we're gonna continue Apantic's long term plan.

Other than that, here's the HYS thread: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/best-answer-v1-1-0.22/
Here is where we're at right now on the update: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/deferred-rebuilding-votes.24/

Rest assured, Apantic is not going inactive anytime soon. We have a long-term plan established.

I meant the Apantic forum as posts do not get any replies.
Currently it shows a database error.
Ah, I see. I just got back and it seemed like the database server crashed due to a hung query. It's fixed now. Thanks!

Apantic Forums are just a place for support and stuff. Right now we get private messages, but we're going to shift it all to the forums. Since our customers just register to download and seek support, it's not really going to be active like a normal forum.

Apantic v1.1.0 update has been completed. This update will be released soon after passing further testing phases. The update is now active on Apantic community.

Best Answer v1.1.0 update released. Further previews added to the original resource description, as well as further changes to database structure.

Best Answer v1.2.0 is next on the roadmap of course, and is expected to feature widgets, further attempts to increase user interaction, alongside other features. Feel free to suggest (https://www.apantic.com/community/forums/general-discussion-and-suggestions.6/)

Downvoting may be added in 1.2.0 depending on want for the feature. Suggested by @Alfa1 - see: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/downvote.27/

@Stuart Wright Does it fit what you were looking for?

Disable the add-on for a moment while I check, it seems like the installer didn't run properly for you. I can't seem to reproduce it on our test board. One moment.

Edit: Can you disable Waindigo Post as User and see if the problem persists?
The problem still persists, I reinstalled the addon many times

The problem still persists, I reinstalled the addon many times
Pushed out a new update (Best Answer v1.1.0.1). Does the problem persist? You do not need to reupload any files (if upgrading from v1.1.0), just upgrade using the .xml file.

Edit: Actually, you've already got the ba_alternativeanswers table added, so it won't do anything for you. Can you run 2 MySQL queries?:

ALTER TABLE `xf_thread` DROP COLUMN `ba_alternativeanswers`;
ALTER TABLE `xf_thread` ADD COLUMN ba_alternativeanswers text NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;

Pushed out a new update (Best Answer v1.1.0.1). Does the problem persist? You do not need to reupload any files (if upgrading from v1.1.0), just upgrade using the .xml file.

Edit: Actually, you've already got the ba_alternativeanswers table added, so it won't do anything for you. Can you run 2 MySQL queries?:

ALTER TABLE `xf_thread` DROP COLUMN `ba_alternativeanswers`;
ALTER TABLE `xf_thread` ADD COLUMN ba_alternativeanswers text NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
Yes it still persists.
I ran the sql queries, but I have an error
https://gyazo.com/46bb970f153a27d5da085095de7445f3

Top Bottom