[n] Best Answer / Q&A System

[n] Best Answer / Q&A System [Paid] 1.1.2

No permission to buy (£25.00)
We are using .Lior's Mark Post as Best Answer system on AVForums and it's not working.
There are some features of that addon which I think are important, which I'm not sure that this addon does:
Does this addon do those? It's important for us. I'm in two minds whether to display a summary of the best answer.

I think the Best Answer system on AVForums is not working because
  • the Best Answer button for voting is virtually invisible among the other buttons
  • members are not motivated to vote for the best answer
  • there is nothing prompting the original poster to come back to his thread and pick the best answer
So I think the Best Answer button needs to be a lot more prominent, there needs to be a way to acknowledge voting in some way (like a count of the number of votes given and maybe an award for the person who has voted for the most each month), and the OP needs to be prompted to vote for the best answer in their thread if
  • there has been at least one reply
  • he has not already voted for the best answer
  • a certain number of days have passed (e.g. 7 days since the first reply was posted)
Also the OP needs to be alerted if a reply gets voted the new Best Answer unless he was the person voting for it.

I also think the system would benefit from displaying unanswered questions to people somehow, to encourage them to help.

Last edited:
Anyone have this up and running on their site besides the testing site? I don't see any reviews yet.

@Stuart Wright Thanks for taking the time to write that.

As for your fist bullet, we do not have the ability to filter by thread prefix. You can filter by forum and only activate in certain forums, but not certain prefixes only. I might go ahead and add it but I imagine it'll need some coding into the core base I currently have and a bit of rewriting of how I do things. An if statement and some new block of code should cut it.

Yeah. The best answer is displayed, but at the top. You also see a snippet of the answer and the colour (customisable in style properties) is very noticeable and stands out.

This adding supports the alerts system. Upon a new best answer, they get an alert. They also get alerts at other times but I can't remember them right now because I'm in an airport and can't check. There are alerts sent out for different actions. Also if someone up votes your post.

There is trophy support. We define the criteria, you can create trophies and add your own numbers for the criteria.

@cdub quite a number of licenses. Perhaps one will share their site. I'm not able to share a licensee's site, so they could come and give you a link if they come across your post.

@Moshe1010 Great idea. It'll be added in, configurable as always. Thanks.

I've not seen this on a live site yet, But is it not odd that the best Answer appears before the first post? (The Question) Would it not be best positioned underneath it?

As for your fist bullet, we do not have the ability to filter by thread prefix. You can filter by forum and only activate in certain forums, but not certain prefixes only. I might go ahead and add it but I imagine it'll need some coding into the core base I currently have and a bit of rewriting of how I do things. An if statement and some new block of code should cut it.
Thank you. This feature is absolutely critical because in natural forums, some threads are questions and some are not.

Yeah. The best answer is displayed, but at the top. You also see a snippet of the answer and the colour (customisable in style properties) is very noticeable and stands out.
I would not want this because I think the best answer posts need to be read in context of the other posts around them, which is why I need the feature of listing the best answers (multiple ones if more than one reply crosses the threshold) linking to the replies, and NOT displaying the best answer at the top of the thread.

Everything else sounds good and if these two points make it into the feature set, I will buy it. 10 quid is too cheap, by the way.

I've not seen this on a live site yet, But is it not odd that the best Answer appears before the first post? (The Question) Would it not be best positioned underneath it?
I'll add support for positioning in the next update.

@Stuart Wright Yeah, I see. I'll look into the prefix thing in an update shortly. I can't promise it'll be the next one, but hopefully soon.

I'll see about adding the support just to list the posts that are answers (with the best answer being at the top and in bold) too, not 100% sure I want to add two types of displays though (the mini display, as I call it, described in the post previously and this one) but yeah, I'll look into it.

I'll see about adding the support just to list the posts that are answers (with the best answer being at the top and in bold) too, not 100% sure I want to add two types of displays though (the mini display, as I call it, described in the post previously and this one) but yeah, I'll look into it.
One or the other type option would do the trick. Best of all worlds.

Hello, not sure if its the right place to post.

I recently upgraded to xenforo 1.5 and got this add-on. For some reason its not working for me whatsoever. I went into the user permissions and gave the groups permission to upvote. I went into options and checked off my forum i wanted and checked off all 3 checkboxes as well. I went to the forum and there is nothing. I posted multiple threads (one on mine and using another account) and i can not find a way to upvote anything in the threads. Can someone help out?

Thanks.

-hyper

Robust updated Best Answer / Q&A System with a new update entry:

Hotfix: Fix for multi paged best answers

Hotfix:
  • Fix for multi paged best answers

If you already have 1.0.5 installed, you only need to upload the files. You do NOT need to upgrade using XML. There has not been any change to the XML file. Your version number will be 1.0.5 and not 1.0.5a (as this is a hotfix).

If you have any older version installed, install this as normal and treat it as the 1.0.5 update.

In addition, Apantic's online services were updated to have branding removal support out of the box.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hello, not sure if its the right place to post.

I recently upgraded to xenforo 1.5 and got this add-on. For some reason its not working for me whatsoever. I went into the user permissions and gave the groups permission to upvote. I went into options and checked off my forum i wanted and checked off all 3 checkboxes as well. I went to the forum and there is nothing. I posted multiple threads (one on mine and using another account) and i can not find a way to upvote anything in the threads. Can someone help out?

Thanks.

-hyper
Replied to the conversation you made with me.

I think some of the near future updates of this add-on are going to be simply to focus on user involvement and motivation to vote, and perhaps making the vote process more rewarding. It's basically what Stuart said earlier on in this thread. Afterwards, I will focus on the modules and just the things like that. Let's see what we can get done today. All bugs that I am aware of have been resolved. The todo list is getting larger, as is the cost to maintain this. The price has increased for that reason, for new purchases only.

Edit: A normal threads renderer can do some functionality, such as 'latest questions'. Just use that on widget framework if you want the latest questions. Widgets for top best answerers (I'll think of a better phrase, top helpers or something) and that kinda stuff will come soon.

Last edited:
Hi there, I am trying to purchase it but it says I needs funds to send money. I am using paypal.

But I called paypal and they said I don't need funds to send money, any idea what's wrong?

Hi there, I am trying to purchase it but it says I needs funds to send money. I am using paypal.

But I called paypal and they said I don't need funds to send money, any idea what's wrong?
Sounds like it's on PayPal's side. To send money you either need the money in your PayPal account, or you need to add a credit/debit card or a bank account and it'll charge that. It's charged in GBP but money is automatically converted. I'd ring PayPal up again, because this can only be on their end.

Sounds like it's on PayPal's side. To send money you either need the money in your PayPal account, or you need to add a credit/debit card or a bank account and it'll charge that. It's charged in GBP but money is automatically converted. I'd ring PayPal up again, because this can only be on their end.
I have a credit card and a bank account confirmed.
But I get this error
Gyazo - 0e7ee52a00c0811ccedb36e6fc9a9ec5.png

Top Bottom