[n] Best Answer / Q&A System

[n] Best Answer / Q&A System [Paid] 1.1.2

No permission to buy (£25.00)
Not sure if this was answered or not, but is it possible to have more than 1 best answer?
Well, right now you can only have one best answer as one answer can always be more detailed and better according to the community. The option for multiple answers is coming soon. Anything with at least 1 (configurable) vote becomes an alternative answer.

Is there a demo on your website?
How does the addon compare to StackExchange? What features are still missing?
I would really like to have a StackExchange type addon and am hoping this addon will be more fleshed out.

Some suggestions:

1. How about adding an (optional) navigation 'Questions' menu with sublinks like:
  • Questions
  • Unanswered
  • Ask a Question
  • Question Trophies
2. How about an overview page that lists Questions with sort order:
  • newest
  • active
  • hot
  • frequent
  • most votes
  • unanswered
Similar layout as Resource Manager.
Add sidebar blocks to it with popular questions,

3. On new post page add instructional widgets similar to StackExchange, so that users understand how they should post questions. Example: http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/ask

4. On thread view add sidebar widgets / blocks for related questions.

5. Ask a question page that has the following functions:
  1. Allow users to select the correct node.Similar to how XFMG does it. (overlay)
  2. After typing the question, similar questions appear. See example above.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response, I saw this earlier but just didn't have time to get back to you.

Is there a demo on your website?
Yup. It's over on https://www.apantic.com/community/. Some specific threads you can look at are in the resource description.

How does the addon compare to StackExchange? What features are still missing?
Alternative answers aren't available but will be as of the next update. The community cannot 'improve' answers, and I'm not sure if I plan to add that as a feature. You cannot downvote answers. There are no 'related questions' shown either. Other than that, the rest is there.

1. How about adding an (optional) navigation 'Questions' menu with sublinks like:
  • Questions
  • Unanswered
  • Ask a Question
  • Question Trophies
I dunno, an unanswered questions thing might be nice but I don't want to go too far and niche specific with it.

2. How about an overview page that lists Questions with sort order:
  • newest
  • active
  • hot
  • frequent
  • most votes
  • unanswered
Sounds cool actually. I might look into it, but I might be afraid it may become too niche specific.

3. On new post page add instructional widgets similar to StackExchange, so that users understand how they should post questions. Example: http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/ask
Thing is, people use this for various things. Some even use it just to vote for the best post of the week. So I don't want to add regulation to this, that part sounds like what a webmaster should do via a sticky thread, not this add-on adding a set of rules in editable via phrases. Personally, I wouldn't want to add that into the core.

4. On thread view add sidebar widgets / blocks for related questions.
Yup, on the agenda: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/widget-support.13/

5. Ask a question page that has the following functions:
  1. Allow users to select the correct node.Similar to how XFMG does it. (overlay)
  2. After typing the question, similar questions appear. See example above.
Perhaps, but a questions page may start becoming more niche specific. You're welcome to make a thread on Apantic's community site and get upvotes there and see how it goes.

Preference?

cde3646351.png

OR

ab12339ba4.png

(feel free to suggest alternatives)

The next Best Answer release will be v1.1 in accordance to Changes in Versioning

The following are confirmed to be in the release:

There will also be a maintenance period tomorrow where the forums and API will be unavailable. See: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/maintenance-period.18/

Last edited:
Version 1.1.0 is next up on the roadmap. See the Have You Seen? thread here: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/best-answer-v1-1-0.22/

@Stuart Wright @Alfa1 I know widget support wasn't introduced in this update, but does that seem to look good against what you were looking for? Some essential functionality as well as user engagement methods have been added. Widget support is planned for v1.2.

Version 1.1.0 will also have a deferred system to rebuild votes and refinements to the Best Answer by Lior importer to support new methods of storing data in accordance with the updates in 1.1.0.

To me the next update is not interesting. I am hoping to see important new functions in subsequent updates.
The functions I posted above are simply the functions that stackexchange has.
There needs to be an easy way to browse unanswered threads and a global way to post a question. Things like that are not niche functions but functions you can see on any questions site.
I think the main difference in approach is that from a user point of view a question is a different content type than a discussion. This is why it needs its own Overview page. It needs to resolve the question that most users have: where should I post my question?
Functionality should also make clear how to post a question. Otherwise users will keep posting questions to discussions and discussions to question threads.
The main reason for needing an Answers addon is the success of sites like stackexchange at the expense of information oriented forum sites. As you probably know this is a major problem for a lot of webmasters.
To resolve this we need similar functionality. I.e. a well fleshed out solution that can match stackexchange. Simply adding a best answer function to forum nodes doesn't resolve the problem. It needs a more comprehensive approach.

There needs to be an easy way to browse unanswered threads and a global way to post a question. Things like that are not niche functions but functions you can see on any questions site.
These features are surely outside the remit of a best answers system, though.

The first is *almost* achieved by the Digest addon which allows you to view threads from the current category/forum and all its subforums. Using that in conjunction with prefixes allows you to find certain types of threads in whole categories. E.g. https://www.avforums.com/categories/home-audio-video-forums.495/?prefix_id=16&digest=1
You just can't see them forum wide as it doesn't work on the forum list.

And the second is a simple case of displaying the node list in the New Thread form (with the current forum, if we are currently in a forum, selected) like they do at http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g28926-i29-California.html (you need to log in, of course).

I would also like both the above features (as well as the 'Jump to a more specific forum' drop-down list of subforums they have at Trip Advisor rather than the verbose (and potentially long) list (nodeList div) we have by default) but I think it's unfair to demand them of Robust unless he's stated he wants to replicate the Stack Exchange experience.

Last edited:
@Stuart Wright
To be clear : I am in no way demanding anything as it's entirely up to the devoper to decide what he wants to implement. What I want to make clear is where my needs lie and what I perceive to be a widespread need.
What I need is a full fledged answers system in the sense of a major addon and in contrast to a thread enhancement. It's up to @Robust if he wants to take it there or if we need to find an alternate or complementary solution.

To me the next update is not interesting. I am hoping to see important new functions in subsequent updates.
The functions I posted above are simply the functions that stackexchange has.
I think the main difference in approach is that from a user point of view a question is a different content type than a discussion. This is why it needs its own Overview page. It needs to resolve the question that most users have: where should I post my question?
Functionality should also make clear how to post a question. Otherwise users will keep posting questions to discussions and discussions to question threads.
The main reason for needing an Answers addon is the success of sites like stackexchange at the expense of information oriented forum sites. As you probably know this is a major problem for a lot of webmasters.
To resolve this we need similar functionality. I.e. a well fleshed out solution that can match stackexchange. Simply adding a best answer function to forum nodes doesn't resolve the problem. It needs a more comprehensive approach.

I'd say some of the features added are major steps in the right direction. If you liked, by using styling and a new XenForo page you could fetch more data and create an overview page. That said, later Best Answer releases may include tidying everything up and creating a new content type with its own controller. I might start working on it now, but to be honest that might end up being a first level release. I think I might just create a new addon entirely to do that, because it would be providing completely different functionality to what I do now. That said, I actually have added lots of bits and started on doing that, it's nowhere near even previews but it's actually pretty close to being a good build, so I might just separate it into a new addon and see where I get.

Possible bug:
Avatar in the little box at the top; is showing only in the first page.
It was fixed in 1.0.5a, if you mean the mini display not showing on all pages.

@Stuart Wright
To be clear : I am in no way demanding anything as it's entirely up to the devoper to decide what he wants to implement. What I want to make clear is where my needs lie and what I perceive to be a widespread need.
What I need is a full fledged answers system in the sense of a major addon and in contrast to a thread enhancement. It's up to @Robust if he wants to take it there or if we need to find an alternate or complementary solution.
Any idea how you wanted the overview page to look? The controller: /questions or something

Last edited:
As suggested before can we suggest to have more than 1 multiple answers as an option? Sometimes having more than 1 best answer on a survey is very helpful.

Also on each person's profile can we add a tab called "Best Answers" which will display all their posts they received best answer in?

As suggested before can we suggest to have more than 1 multiple answers as an option? Sometimes having more than 1 best answer on a survey is very helpful.

Also on each person's profile can we add a tab called "Best Answers" which will display all their posts they received best answer in?
Both were added in v1.1.0.

Here is the HYS thread for Best Answer v1.1.0: https://www.apantic.com/community/threads/best-answer-v1-1-0.22/

The mini display is showing in my forum, but avatar is only showing in the first page.
I will send in private more details.
Gotcha, I've replied to your message. Fixed for v1.1.0.

Top Bottom