Sorry for the repeat more or less, but I guess it deserves it's own suggestion:
Since using the Multi-Quote system I experience that XF is more or less forcing us to follow a certain work-flow and it does not match with my own workflow (that I use since forever):
The steps that I always follow when constructing a new thread or replying to an existing one -when I want to quote several other posts/text-portions- is:
- I open (or are already on) a new browser tab (1) and start a new thread or Quick-Reply to an existing one,
- Then I open a new browser tab (2) and find the threads/posts that have the texts that I want to quote and select them by [+ Quote]
- I go back to browser tab (1) to be able to put the quoted texts inside the Quick Reply area, but that is not possible, since there is no [Insert Quotes...] button available (!), (Just try it, so you can see )
There is however a nice workaround, and that is that by pressing [F5] suddenly the [Insert Quotes] does appear in the Quick-Reply area or Create Thread Area in your current open screen in browser tab (1). (However, in the small chance that your post was not auto-saved before, you will loose all your contents by pressing [F5])
My request is to make it possible to let the [Insert Quotes...]-button also appear automatically in browser tab (1), after we selected posts in browser tab (2) to be multi-quoted. That way the Multi-Quote can also facilitate other workflows then the one presented in the video over here.
In that video the workflow is to first select all the posts to be Multi-Quoted and then at the end, you can:
- Click [Insert Quotes...] below the Quick Reply area, but only on those pages where you already selected postings to be Multi-Quoted (or you need to use the [F5] workaround),
- Or click [Create Thread] (anywhere on the forum) and click [Insert Quotes...]
So the workflow is the opposite (first select all postings to be multi-quoted, and then create a new thread or new quick reply) of what I am using all the time (first create a new thread or construct a new quick reply and then select all postings to be multi-quoted). I hope there can be found some way that we can use either of these workflows.
(Also in the same line more or less: Multi-Quote is not available when you edit postings, and that follows the thought/workflow that XF's Multi-Quote 'forces' us or only works convenient if you first select posts and then create a thread. It simply does not work the other way round, if you want to first create a thread and then use MQ on it... or indeed if you are editing an already created thread and want to use MQ on it.
I never use XF's workflow, but the latter two all the time, so the MQ system in it's current state is much less useful for people who follow a different workflow, than it could be. Hopefully it can be made more flexible).