Implemented Most Liked Members Block on Members Page

The Sandman

How about a block of the most liked members on the Members Page similare to the Highest Posting Members block currently there?

BTW, why is there a hyphen in "Highest-Posting" in that block? And could it be worded better? Highest Post Count? Most Prolific? Most Posts? Most Active?

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I wouldn't use it at the risk of making some members feel bad.
It will make almost everyone feel bad, except the people on that list.

The most valuable people on our forum rarely visit, but are excellent contributors.

That said, I can see how this could be useful on some forums. Mod, template edit, etc.

To be honest, I will remove the highest posting block from my forum as I don't think it contributes anything in a positive way.

Ideally i'd like to replace it with a random member block.

Why would it make anyone feel any worse than seeing other members with more posts than them in the "Highest-Posting Members" block? :confused:

Likes are an integral part of XenForo and we should embrace them. :D

Why would it make anyone feel any worse than seeing other members with more posts than them in the "Highest-Posting Members" block? :confused:

The most liked members would not cause anyone more embarrassment than the most prolific poster block. Frankly I am a little embarrassed that I am listed on the members page as the 9th most prolific poster. :oops:

Like Brogan, I will probably remove that block, and if possible make it a random list.

This has been suggested before. I don't like it because you make a contest out of the like system and that can actually ruin the whole thing very quickly.

A 'most liked content' page would be better, in fact Kier has already made that add-on, you can see it in action here.

I disagree. I don't feel like "likes" are an integral part of XF, nor do I feel like they should be. Once they become something of value, the unnecessary and competitive liking begins. Which is something we must be careful to avoid.

They will either go; I feel sad because i dont have any likes and am not on that list boo hoo, and do nothing about it.

Alternately, it will make members aim to be on that list, therefore creating more content and better posts to gain more 'likes'

It's the fight or flight situation, you know, the put up or shut up one.

Trying to word this so it doesnt offend anyone was hard btw.

I wouldn't use it at the risk of making some members feel bad.
Actually, its the opposite. I have seen sites prosper with them [highest ranking members] boxes. It actually drives at least one or two new people to post more and more.

Most websites that have these blocks are sites that encourage activity on the forum.

Although that I support it, I think its better left as a toggle - or at the very least, put it in members page (there was a similar suggestion to this via another suggestion).

Top Bottom