1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Most Liked Members Block on Members Page

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by The Sandman, Sep 25, 2010.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

How about a block of the most liked members on the Members Page similare to the Highest Posting Members block currently there?

BTW, why is there a hyphen in "Highest-Posting" in that block? And could it be worded better? Highest Post Count? Most Prolific? Most Posts? Most Active?
    Vladislav Rastrusny likes this.
  2. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

Only if I can turn it off :)
  3. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

Would love to be able to tie it in with a time based trophy contest. :)
  4. The Sandman

Oh yeah, I'm sure it would be admin controllable as to on/off and number of members in the block.
  5. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use it at the risk of making some members feel bad.
    anotheralias likes this.
  6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

It will make almost everyone feel bad, except the people on that list.

The most valuable people on our forum rarely visit, but are excellent contributors.

That said, I can see how this could be useful on some forums. Mod, template edit, etc.
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, I will remove the highest posting block from my forum as I don't think it contributes anything in a positive way.

Ideally i'd like to replace it with a random member block.
    Dean likes this.
  8. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

That is why I mentioned time based Trophy contests :)
  9. The Sandman

Why would it make anyone feel any worse than seeing other members with more posts than them in the "Highest-Posting Members" block? :confused:

Likes are an integral part of XenForo and we should embrace them. :D
  10. Brogan

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

The most liked members would not cause anyone more embarrassment than the most prolific poster block. Frankly I am a little embarrassed that I am listed on the members page as the 9th most prolific poster. :oops:

Like Brogan, I will probably remove that block, and if possible make it a random list.
  12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I don't really like this idea. It can make some people not feel loved.
  13. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

Why not have a block for "the only people who really matter" and be done with it.
    Onimua and Dean like this.
  14. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

This has been suggested before. I don't like it because you make a contest out of the like system and that can actually ruin the whole thing very quickly.

A 'most liked content' page would be better, in fact Kier has already made that add-on, you can see it in action here.
  15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't feel like "likes" are an integral part of XF, nor do I feel like they should be. Once they become something of value, the unnecessary and competitive liking begins. Which is something we must be careful to avoid.
    anotheralias likes this.
  16. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

"Competitive liking" - great phrase!
  17. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

They will either go; I feel sad because i dont have any likes and am not on that list boo hoo, and do nothing about it.

Alternately, it will make members aim to be on that list, therefore creating more content and better posts to gain more 'likes'

It's the fight or flight situation, you know, the put up or shut up one.

Trying to word this so it doesnt offend anyone was hard btw.
  18. Peter

Peter Active Member

Instead of most likes, how about "like of the month" with option to show how many to list. That way everyone has a chance to contribute each month and be on the list.
  19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Actually, its the opposite. I have seen sites prosper with them [highest ranking members] boxes. It actually drives at least one or two new people to post more and more.

Most websites that have these blocks are sites that encourage activity on the forum.

Although that I support it, I think its better left as a toggle - or at the very least, put it in members page (there was a similar suggestion to this via another suggestion).
  20. Brogan