XF 1.2 More Assorted Things

We missed last week, but lets make it up with a look at a bunch of new things coming in 1.2. We do still have various "big" things to show, but we'll save them for another day.

Template editing improvements: tabs, ctrl-s, auto tabbing
The template editor in the admin CP is now easier to code directly within with a few changes:
  • Pressing tab will now insert an actual tab.
  • You can save the template using ctrl+s (or cmd+s).
  • When you press enter on a line that starts with whitespace, the next line will automatically start with that amount of whitespace. (Basically, this keeps your tab depth.)
  • If you highlight multiple lines, you can use tab or shift-tab to indent or outdent all of the selected lines automatically.
<xen:set> improvements
In certain situations, you may want to use the <xen:set> tag to set non-scalar values, generally arrays. You can now do that with this structure:
Code:
<xen:set var="$var" value="{xen:array 'a=b', 'c=d'}" />

New <xen:callback> tag
While generally we don't recommend running PHP via templates, some times it's significantly simpler than writing a full add-on. Here's an example call:

Code:
<xen:callback class="Class_Name_Here" method="getHtml"><b>HTML that will be passed to the callback.</b></xen:callback>

For advanced usage, you can also pass params to the callback via the params attribute (like in template hooks).

To try to limit any untoward usage of this, we place a couple constraints:
  • Like all of our other callbacks, it must happen to a method within a class. You can't just read out /etc/passwd directly.
  • The method that you're calling must start with a limited set of prefixes: get, is, has, render, view, return, print, show, display
I should note that while we've deprecated template hooks, you can actually use this with the new template modification system to effectively create new hooks. That is, if you'd rather work on the final rendered output rather than the template itself.

Option to block logins entirely after a few failures
By default, we only CAPTCHA block accounts after several failed login attempts. This may be more user friendly but some people may consider it to be a security issue. You now have the option to disable logins instead of showing a CAPTCHA.

New password storage: Bcrypt
1.2 introduces a more secure password storage method known as bcrypt. Most hashing schemes are designed to be fast, which makes them unsuitable for password storage. Bcrypt is intentionally slow and is also tunable so it can do more work over time as computers become faster.

Whenever a user logs in, their password will automatically be upgraded to the bcrypt format.

Weekly and monthly stat groupings
Currently, statistics can only be generated on a daily basis. You can now choose to view the totals on a weekly or monthly basis. This allows you to see longer-term trends more easily.

Notable members, member list disabled
By default, the full members list page is now disabled. On larger boards, not only is it useless (and a spam magnet), it's actually a huge performance issue.

The notable members page looks a bit like the standard members list page, but it shows people of note:
  • Most messages
  • Most likes received
  • Most trophy points
  • Today's birthdays
  • (Non-hidden) Staff members
notable-members.webp
Notification emails: easy unsubscribe
Thread notification emails now have 2 unsubscribe links that do not require users to login to use them; one link stops email notifications from the thread the email was from, while the other stops them from all content.

Setting custom routes as the index
The index page (that is, what is currently at http://xenforo.com/community/) can now be set to any route URL. By default, this will be the forum list, but you could set this to resources, a portal page, or something else entirely. If you do change it, the forum list will automatically be located at http://xenforo.com/community/forums/.

Right, let's leave it there today... :)

Did you read the entire section?
I did.... But if I'm being honest, I had hoped you had not.... My reply was only a poor attempt to avoid the argument or explanation of something I know applies today.... ie... You can be more secure without having to slow things down.

And the moment you added "Moores's Law" .... I just wanted to walk away from the topic, because I don't want to debate.

I have about the same amount of interest in wanting to debate this.... As you or anyone else would want to debate that the sky looks blue. Its just something you know & you wouldn't want to waste the time in going into detail.

I did.... But if I'm being honest, I had hoped you had not.... My reply was only a poor attempt to avoid the argument or explanation of something I know applies today.... ie... You can be more secure without having to slow things down.

And the moment you added "Moores's Law" .... I just wanted to walk away from the topic, because I don't want to debate.

I have about the same amount of interest in wanting to debate this.... As you or anyone else would want to debate that the sky looks blue. Its just something you know & you wouldn't want to waste the time in going into detail.
If you didn't want to debate, you wouldn't have posted what you did in the beginning. You remind me of someone who pretends to know a lot.

A lot of these HYS threads seem to contain some sort of debate with Adam Howard at the centre.

Quite disappointing to see, to be honest. Adam, I think your attitude towards certain people lacks a reasonable amount of respect too, by they way.

If you didn't want to debate, you wouldn't have posted what you did in the beginning. You remind me of someone who pretends to know a lot.
Knowing and proving are two different things in that I know you can be secure without making things slower (and possibly more resource intensive) and I don't care if you believe or know that.

I'm fairly sure there are other people who know this as well... We do after all (in good faith) have a large group of well educated individuals here.

After awhile you get tired of having to educate or prove things to others. I'm there.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=encryption without speed loss

A lot of these HYS threads seem to contain some sort of debate with Adam Howard at the centre.

Quite disappointing to see, to be honest. Adam, I think your attitude towards certain people lacks a reasonable amount of respect too, by they way.
It's a two way street and I'm tired of being the bigger man. Let someone else do it for a change.

Remove the members list (y)

I released this resource sometime last year (Remove Members List)
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/remove-members-list.1036/

I can't yet say that it has been completely deprecated without first seeing 1.2, but I'm happy that XenForo is working on making it an option.

This is where you lost me. Anything that adds slowness is never good. If I have 100 - 1,000 members logging into the site at the same time.... I want that to be a quick process.

Would like to see support for this though (for those of us who will be using PPH 5.5)
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.password.php
How often do you have 100-1,000 users logging in at the same time? Logged in users won't have an effect on this. And won't have to have bcrypt run when they visit the site.

It's best to wait to see what additional information is released instead making assumptions based on what something "looks" like in a preview shot of a feature not released yet.
Really? My apology for daring to make an assumption on a product that almost nobody of us has seen yet. {shrugs}

Brilliant news that BCrypt (A password algorithm and not just a HASH) is being used for password storage. My site has been using BCrypt for several months now (using 13 rounds) and users have not complained about the slight delay in logging in (a few extra ms). For the extra security it is well worth it.

Brilliant news that BCrypt (A password algorithm and not just a HASH) is being used for password storage. My site has been using BCrypt for several months now (using 13 rounds) and users have not complained about the slight delay in logging in (a few extra ms). For the extra security it is well worth it.

Anything that strengthens security gets the thumbsup.

That said.

I'm a little concerned of the layout of the notable members screenshot Mike posted. Hopefully that will be vastly improved (perhaps we could rid the sidebar) and make way for a grid like system utilizing the space more efficiently. Like the notable members idea, just not the layout showed in the screenshot.

I'm sure it could be one of your amazing "Enhancements" if it stays as it is, Shelley :)

No one who respects their user's security should care in the slightest about a few ms delay. And if users were to complain, the reasoning behind it is completely reasonable and justifiable. I am sure they care more about their data security than an extra millisecond delay.

But, and I think this is one of the major things with regards to bcrypt, as Mike already said: it is tunable.

So if you're on a much slower shared server presumably you can tune this down to less rounds? Therefore less of a delay? Similarly if you're on a beefy dedicated server you can tune it up further.

Seems like the best move possible for site admins and their users.

I'm sure it could be one of your amazing "Enhancements" if it stays as it is, Shelley :)

I read you loud and clear Chris. (y) But as much as you loathe reading criticism I don't think passing this off to me is the solution. *waits for the bashing brigade*

But since your like that you can tell Kiers awesome vision isn't present in the screenshot. The topic embraces praises, also embrace criticism. :)

Anything that strengthens security gets the thumbsup.

That said.

I'm a little concerned of the layout of the notable members screenshot Mike posted. Hopefully that will be vastly improved (perhaps we could rid the sidebar) and make way for a grid like system utilizing the space more efficiently. Like the notable members idea, just not the layout showed in the screenshot.

Agree.

Drop in your ideas here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/notable-member-list-ideas-brainstorming-suggestions-etc.50139/

:)

Notable members, member list disabled
By default, the full members list page is now disabled. On larger boards, not only is it useless (and a spam magnet), it's actually a huge performance issue.

The notable members page looks a bit like the standard members list page, but it shows people of note:
  • Most messages
  • Most likes received
  • Most trophy points
  • Today's birthdays
  • (Non-hidden) Staff members
View attachment 45984

Great idea! But please make it so that Notable members, Most likes recived etc. only gets data from a limited time back (this could be configurable :)) Make only data from last month or so!

Else we would end up with a more or less static page showing some old members who were very active years back, but maby nolonger use the site.

Great idea! But please make it so that Notable members, Most likes recived etc. only gets data from a limited time back (this could be configurable :)) Make only data from last month or so!

Else we would end up with a more or less static page showing some old members who were very active years back, but maby nolonger use the site.

If I'm not mistaken, your going to see the same members in all criteria whether they are active or not. With more postings, comes more likes hence why I think improvements are still needing to be made as all criteria will have the same members. But whether that is a good or bad thing I don't know, depending on how you look at what this area and how it should function like.

Mike always comes good in the end so I expect he'll be looking at ways to make such improvements and balancing things out.

Top Bottom