1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Merge Personal Conversations

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by DRE, Jun 11, 2013.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

This member keeps sending me a bunch of random personal conversations. I wish it was all in one message only. Can you include the option to select conversations from the list and merge them?

Methodical, adwade, StarArmy and 3 others like this.
  2. caoanh204

caoanh204 Active Member

@Mike Please read this topic...

I'm testing import my forum from vBulletin, but the PMs from the old board are not going to be threaded. Each individual PM will be it's own conversation.

How to manually/auto merge our old PM's into conversations (2 members/1 conversation)?

StarArmy and dougdirac like this.
  3. dougdirac

dougdirac Member

How to get more interest in this? Seems to me merging those conversations that resulted from imported vB PMs should be part of the import process.

4. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

For a start you need to like the first post in the thread, but I can't see it getting much interest to be honest. I agree it would be great for vBulletin imports, maybe something could be added to the importer though.

I imagine there should be an addon, if not you could ask for one at Resource and Add-on Requests

EDIT: I see it's already there!

5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The reason the importer doesn't do this is that it cannot be sure of what should be merged as there is no connective thread between messages.

6. dougdirac

dougdirac Member

It should merge conversations that have the same recipients and the same subject line (ignoring "Re:" and "Fw:" prefixes).

7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That's still a problem. What if two vBulletin private messages have the same recipients and subject?

8. dougdirac

dougdirac Member

Then they should be part of the same conversation thread in XenForo.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Relying on message data that users have the ability to edit is unreliable at best. And the importer should only perform actions when certainty is guaranteed.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There are significantly more permutations to handle, especially when getting into partial deletions. The importer won't be taking any more steps to merge them and I wouldn't expect to see a system to merge full conversations in XF for similar reasons.

11. adwade

adwade Active Member