Lack of interest Merge Personal Conversations

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
@Mike Please read this topic...

I'm testing import my forum from vBulletin, but the PMs from the old board are not going to be threaded. Each individual PM will be it's own conversation.

How to manually/auto merge our old PM's into conversations (2 members/1 conversation)?

@Mike Please read this topic...

I'm testing import my forum from vBulletin, but the PMs from the old board are not going to be threaded. Each individual PM will be it's own conversation.

How to manually/auto merge our old PM's into conversations (2 members/1 conversation)?
How to get more interest in this? Seems to me merging those conversations that resulted from imported vB PMs should be part of the import process.

How to get more interest in this? Seems to me merging those conversations that resulted from imported vB PMs should be part of the import process.
For a start you need to like the first post in the thread, but I can't see it getting much interest to be honest. I agree it would be great for vBulletin imports, maybe something could be added to the importer though.

I imagine there should be an addon, if not you could ask for one at Resource and Add-on Requests

EDIT: I see it's already there!

The reason the importer doesn't do this is that it cannot be sure of what should be merged as there is no connective thread between messages.

Relying on message data that users have the ability to edit is unreliable at best. And the importer should only perform actions when certainty is guaranteed.

There are significantly more permutations to handle, especially when getting into partial deletions. The importer won't be taking any more steps to merge them and I wouldn't expect to see a system to merge full conversations in XF for similar reasons.

I find it weird that its still not possible to merge conversations. Its such a basic feature. Hopefully conversations get a revamp in one of the 2.X releases.

Top Bottom