Media Gallery Alpha 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo

You can pre-order the media gallery right now to get access to nightly builds and these alphas. It costs $50 AUD to pre-order which is $10 off. If you would like to then contact me privately via inbox.​

This is the first time I have felt like a build is ready for use. It covers most critical features but is still missing out on a lot. This is the forum gallery which can be compared to Simple Gallery or even XenMedio. I haven't even started working on any of facebook styled member albums and won't for a while yet. Now is the time to add to this current build, fix issues and polish plus add any highly requested features.

Feature List
  • nested categories
  • add images and videos in bulk (still very limited, in time will use flash for image uploading and ajax for video)
  • when selecting an image it will attempt to create a media title for you from its file name
  • when adding a video (currently only supports YouTube) it will pre-fill title and description for you
  • option to show recent images on the forum list
  • ability to like media
  • ability to report media
  • permalink overlay, same as in posts
  • ability to comment on media
  • ability to like comments
  • moderator permissions to do anything a member can do to their own comments or media
  • all images are saved in the data directory so you can take advantage of a CDN
  • ability to download an image
  • soft delete media or comments that moderators can still see
That feature list is what I consider "enough" however there will be a lot more to come like permissions per category, news feed integration, bbcode integration, daily stats integration, a more detailed image list and much more. This is just the start.

ACP_Categories.webpACP_Categories_Edit.webpGallery_Empty.webpMedia_Add_Start.webpMedia_Add_Images.webpMedia_Add_Videos.webpMedia_Add_Step2.webpGallery_Filled.webp

@who have access to the alphas and nightly builds
please link us a demo so we can "play" with Media Gallery
@Robbo
thank you for the work you're doing, this addon will be a great step forward for XenForo

Funny, I have access to it, but I never had the time to go through the ropes with it, so I don't have it running. I think BamaStangGuy has it running on his admin forum.

Funny, I have access to it, but I never had the time to go through the ropes with it, so I don't have it running. I think BamaStangGuy has it running on his admin forum.
It is pretty much install and use now.

@who have access to the alphas and nightly builds
please link us a demo so we can "play" with Media Gallery
@Robbo
thank you for the work you're doing, this addon will be a great step forward for XenForo
Someone will post a demo for you soon.

Nothing that can't be changed with the Route Changer add-on.
Q: Is it much harder to make a addon that doesn't have a hardcoded URL that needs route changing ?
I wonder how many people would like to change the route (URL) ?

I guess ideally addon makers would have a default route (in this case /gallery) and it is relatively easily changeable.

Q: Is it much harder to make a addon that doesn't have a hardcoded URL that needs route changing ?
I wonder how many people would like to change the route (URL) ?

I guess ideally addon makers would have a default route (in this case /gallery) and it is relatively easily changeable.
Yeah, I mean I reckon you would just implement a portion of the Route Changer code in your own add-on that would allow it to be changed to something else... but... you know, why not just use the route changer?

So am I correct that this does not yet work in the basic way of making my images MY gallery? Rather it is a common gallery?
We will add some user related stuff soon but not much. In future there will be a whole different system for a members gallery, think facebook albums/photos in your profiles. But this first gallery system needs to get more complete first.

So am I correct that this does not yet work in the basic way of making my images MY gallery? Rather it is a common gallery?
It's a admin set categories (from ACP), as far as I can see, users can only upload to predefined categories. It's only alpha, so I am not sure what it is planned for the stable release

Interested in seeing this developed further. Definitely want to add it to my new anime community :D

It's a admin set categories (from ACP), as far as I can see, users can only upload to predefined categories. It's only alpha, so I am not sure what it is planned for the stable release

Ah, I thought the real idea of galleries was for folks to have their own - and, of course, submit to others when it is allowed, etc.

I have not seen a gallery when I did all my research where the point was to submit to other peoples albums. I can't see the use case. What I do see is 2 use cases. One like deviant art (what we have here so far) and one for social networking (facebook styled albums, photos, tagging etc).

I assume that this "I haven't even started working on any of facebook styled member albums and won't for a while yet." refers to the sort of "member albums" you're talking about.

I pretty much agree on the two use cases....but defined as:

1. The Major use being user albums (which you may call FB style) where users could have their collections and they could be public, members only or private and easily attached into posts.
and
2. Admin or general albums being those where anyone can submit and the gallery owner (admin, etc.) can decide which photos and/or categories are public. This would be for best of, contests, pages where images rotate, etc.

We are probably all saying the same thing using different terminology.

I pretty much agree on the two use cases....but defined as:

1. The Major use being user albums (which you may call FB style) where users could have their collections and they could be public, members only or private and easily attached into posts.
and
2. Admin or general albums being those where anyone can submit and the gallery owner (admin, etc.) can decide which photos and/or categories are public. This would be for best of, contests, pages where images rotate, etc.

We are probably all saying the same thing using different terminology.
1. yep, it's going to be like facebook albums/photos but with more features to do with forums etc. I really wish I could start working on this part now because what I have planned is some nice stuff.
2. yep this kind of thing will happen when I get the permissions per category in, I basically took a lot of ideas from deviant art with it.

Is that not effectively what groups are on Flickr?
I haven't used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom