Massive Vb4 + Wordpress Move!

zooki

Hi, I have a VB4 forum with half million posts and around 100k users. I am looking to move to XenForo.

1. I have several languages set up on the website. Some forum categories of the site are in different languages.
Q. Does XenForo allow a forum to have multiple languages?

2. There are private forum sections, only accessible to certain usergroups.
Q. Will this be preserved during migration?

3. I need a CMS for articles. I did try using the vb article thing, it was crap. I am looking to using either drupal or Wordpress. It seems there is no bridge for Drupal.
Q. What is the best way to have sections/categories for articles as well as blogs. And user comments.

My other option is to do a migration into Drupal Advanced Forum - and this eliminates all need of bridges.

Thank you!

1. I have several languages set up on the website. Some forum categories of the site are in different languages.
Yes.
I believe it was when I moved from vB4 but it's always best to double-check once the import has completed.

Yes I think so.

Yes definitely it did for me.

3. I need a CMS for articles. I did try using the vb article thing, it was crap. I am looking to using either drupal or Wordpress. It seems there is no bridge for Drupal.
Q. What is the best way to have sections/categories for articles as well as blogs. And user comments.

Debate on this is heated here. Options are two 3rd party addons, and 1 native addon.

xenporta = well established, a lot of options, widely used with lots of adaptation. Support is patchy and I personally found it hard to edit it to get what I wanted. But I did try it a long time ago so I think it's improved.

CMF / Simple Portal - is new addon due out this month and looking very flexible and interesting.
Produced by a team of 3rd party developers.

XF Resource Manager - out March 26 by the XF team. In use on this site (see Resources link on navbar)
Not used here for articles but it's not hard to see how it could be. Various toggles on features.
Major plus is frontend bbcode edit by usergroup permission. Categories/ sub cats. Has reviews, ratings. Link to discussion thread which links back via tabs. Tabs can be customised. Integration with searches, whats new etc. Authors have own list of articles displayed and no. of articles shows on profile and membercard, linking to this personal list. Download button can be disabled per category. Biggest advantage is it's by the core XF team.
Drawback to me is lack of multiple page articles but this is so obvious I'm sure it will be added soon or el;se a 3rd party addon.
I think this will integrate with Simple Portal and I'm sure Jaxel will integrate it with xenporta.

I found it's a really good opportunity to clean up a bit, delete usergroups, mass prune soft-deleted posts and threads, get rid of forums that are not needed anymore, etc.

XenForo has got me into an enthusiasm mode about my community again, which is the biggest value I've got from the software. ;)

Yes me too! Thanks for the advice. It seems from the demo that Xenforo does not have mass prune. In VB we can mass prune posts based on a range of different filters.

Yes me too! Thanks for the advice. It seems from the demo that Xenforo does not have mass prune. In VB we can mass prune posts based on a range of different filters.

Yes, I think that was my reason for wanting to clean up shop (old forums, usergroups, etc) before the migration. XF has been great but one or two very small items are needed in the future to make stuff like this easier. Not a deal breaker.

XF Resource Manager - out March 26 by the XF team. In use on this site (see Resources link on navbar)
Not used here for articles but it's not hard to see how it could be. Various toggles on features.
Major plus is frontend bbcode edit by usergroup permission. Categories/ sub cats. Has reviews, ratings. Link to discussion thread which links back via tabs. Tabs can be customised. Integration with searches, whats new etc. Authors have own list of articles displayed and no. of articles shows on profile and membercard, linking to this personal list. Download button can be disabled per category. Biggest advantage is it's by the core XF team.
Drawback to me is lack of multiple page articles but this is so obvious I'm sure it will be added soon or el;se a 3rd party addon.
I think this will integrate with Simple Portal and I'm sure Jaxel will integrate it with xenporta.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/edit-xenforo-templates-using-editor.1433/

That's an article, no? that who section contains articles, no?

Okay, we had WP+VB and then WP+XF setup for long time and wanted to achieve Integration. We recently ditched WP and went full blown way to XF. It's been several days now and I haven't missed WP yet.

There's also the xenscripts WP/XF bridge. That might come in handy, depending on what your exact requirements are:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenscripts-wordpress-to-xenforo-bridge-paid.30329/

My custom permissions imported from vB just fine, but they did need a few tweaks here and there to be 100%. It's not always a perfect translation. You should also check this out:

http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

The XF permissions system appears to be similar to VB, but it's meant to be used in a strict layering system. We had some users with a different primary usergroup, so we had to switch that around.

Yeah, there are some ACP tools "missing", IMHO. A lot of them can be recreated with add-ons or cron jobs, though. For example, we have a cron that runs on our classified ad nodes to remove soft deleted threads and to move any thread that hasn't had a reply in 90 days to a trash forum. Shawn from DigitalPoint wrote an ACP add-on that will batch move threads based on the title content. It could be extended to include other options.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/digital-point-mass-thread-move.1400/

Top Bottom