Massive Vb4 + Wordpress Move!

zooki

Hi, I have a VB4 forum with half million posts and around 100k users. I am looking to move to XenForo.

1. I have several languages set up on the website. Some forum categories of the site are in different languages.
Q. Does XenForo allow a forum to have multiple languages?

2. There are private forum sections, only accessible to certain usergroups.
Q. Will this be preserved during migration?

3. I need a CMS for articles. I did try using the vb article thing, it was crap. I am looking to using either drupal or Wordpress. It seems there is no bridge for Drupal.
Q. What is the best way to have sections/categories for articles as well as blogs. And user comments.

My other option is to do a migration into Drupal Advanced Forum - and this eliminates all need of bridges.

Thank you!

Can you really use different languages for different nodes?

I thought you could only change language for the entire site?

What I did in vbulletin was create categories and sub cats in entirely different languages and then puts links on the header for people to find those sections. Not ideal, but it served purpose.

Okay, we had WP+VB and then WP+XF setup for long time and wanted to achieve Integration. We recently ditched WP and went full blown way to XF. It's been several days now and I haven't missed WP yet.

Any ideas how your SEO fare? and what do you use for articles?

This is an example of a site which uses drupal, albeit D6. - - basic but imagine the potential if a site was more jazzed up. The only problem with drupal is how dependent you are on all the modules working together. They are not all updated at the same time, so a site like that requires more attention. If xenforo has a good way for us to have some articles/blogs it will be awesome.

That's a lot of stuff !! And you keep that in the forum? Do you get guest visits for this content ?
Yes, now everything resides inside the forum. We gave up on a ton of backlinks in the process of the move because redirects were impossible to set. I'll still add manual redirects for the most important links. Google's indexing stuff at a faster rate and much better than what I expected. See this -

Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 7.43.08 PM.webp

That's how Google's listing our threads! :D

I'm using XenDynamic WP themes, althought is not updated anymore. But the theme runs great in xF 1.1.3 (Default style) and WP 3.5.1 with just 1 problem: You can't enable xF backend file cache.

Well, I'm not sure wherever the themes or the W3 Total Cache is the problem anyway. :D

Yes, now everything resides inside the forum. We gave up on a ton of backlinks in the process of the move because redirects were impossible to set. I'll still add manual redirects for the most important links. Google's indexing stuff at a faster rate and much better than what I expected.
We also see some crazy Google spidering rates since we moved to XenForo. The lowest number of pages Google spidered in a day on our site was 70,966... which coincidentally was the last day we were on vBulletin 4. Since that day, Google has slowly been indexing more and more per day (Google does it smart... they ramp up slowly to make sure your site can handle their spidering and they don't wreck/take down your site with too many page views too quickly).

The highest number of pages Google has ever spidered was 2 days ago (the last day there is data for)... 811,280 pages Google spidered on Friday.

Image%202013.03.17%2011:46:02%20AM.png

So again... low point was our last day on vBulletin... and it's just climbed more and more each day since.

Yes, now everything resides inside the forum. We gave up on a ton of backlinks in the process of the move because redirects were impossible to set. I'll still add manual redirects for the most important links. Google's indexing stuff at a faster rate and much better than what I expected. See this -

View attachment 42064

That's how Google's listing our threads! :D

How did you get your photo to show up in results? Does it show up for all the postings on your site? Looks powerful.

We also see some crazy Google spidering rates since we moved to XenForo. The lowest number of pages Google spidered in a day on our site was 70,966... which coincidentally was the last day we were on vBulletin 4. Since that day, Google has slowly been indexing more and more per day (Google does it smart... they ramp up slowly to make sure your site can handle their spidering and they don't wreck/take down your site with too many page views too quickly).

The highest number of pages Google has ever spidered was 2 days ago (the last day there is data for)... 811,280 pages Google spidered on Friday.

Image%202013.03.17%2011:46:02%20AM.png

So again... low point was our last day on vBulletin... and it's just climbed more and more each day since.
I remember from our past vB -> XF move. Google crawls the site more because it finds new locations and makes sure that its index is up to date. With our WP -> XF move now, there's a surge in the crawl stats. Most importantly the time spent in downloading has gone down quickly.

It'd be important to notice how the crawling stabilises over a period of time. It might come down after a certain period of time and be stable.

How did you get your photo to show up in results? Does it show up for all the postings on your site? Looks powerful.
Google did it on its own. I've a Google Plus account and recently switched to using my real name on our blog. Made it compulsory for all the authors to use their real names. Of course I had applied for authorship in the past.

Now I'm curious to know whether we get back into Google News. That'd be epic! :)

Top Bottom