Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

The thread title is the question. The first post is the explanation of the question.
A question is answered once a best answer is selected.
But this can be improved upon by adding a threshold level at which the question is answered.

With forum display or thread listing I mean the (sub)forum that holds the question threads. For example: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/
This is what I mean with a forum display. The term comes from vbulletins forumdisplay.php

My first suggestion is to add a field here where users can type their question. Similar to what Adobe forums and Yahoo Answers have:
View attachment 52493
View attachment 52494
2. My second suggestion is to add a tab on forum display / thread listing, so that the unanswered questions in the forum can easily be found.
3. My third suggestion is to add a tab on forum display / thread listing, so that the answered questions in the forum can easily be found.
Got it, noted it.

As for #2 and #3, already implemented:
3-png.52104

But this can be improved upon by adding a threshold level at which the question is answered.
Already implemented.

Btw,
In the latest update, does it still allow to the reply/post maker to vote for him self?

Last time I checked the add-on I could vote for my self :)

I like what Alfa suggested with the question box. The next screen would have to be a forum selection and a description (thread body) of the question, no?

btw, there is a similar modification available for vbulletin that dragon-byte made: vbAnswers (see the screen shots of the sidebar form) They do it a little differently though. IMO, it's not as clean as this potentially could be.

another small suggestion (sorry):

Exclude threads from having a best answer chosen at all based on thread prefix. Some of my threads are more article like content and they are marked as such with a prefix.

another small suggestion (sorry):

Exclude threads from having a best answer chosen at all based on thread prefix. Some of my threads are more article like content and they are marked as such with a prefix.
Hopefully I can get it into the next release.

How do I disable this add-on in all the forums and then select which ones to enable.
Well, AFAIK there is no batch update node permissions tool, so it has to be done manually.

Thanks!

Also, it seems I'm having a problem with the latest version. I can't mark anything as best answer. I can click on it and it looks like it works, but it never saves. If this is any indication there is a compiler error for the template mod 'attached_files'

Thanks!

Also, it seems I'm having a problem with the latest version. I can't mark anything as best answer. I can click on it and it looks like it works, but it never saves. If this is any indication there is a compiler error for the template mod 'attached_files'
Good catch about the attachments, will release a fix in a few minutes.

As for marking as best answer not working, if you the voting based option, then check out the Minimum Number of Votes for Best Answer option, I would guess you have it set up on more than 1 vote.

Good catch about the attachments, will release a fix in a few minutes.

As for marking as best answer not working, if you the voting based option, then check out the Minimum Number of Votes for Best Answer option, I would guess you have it set up on more than 1 vote.
Ah, I see.

Thanks for the fast fix :)

Hrm, I don't like the way the new version copies the post. It seems a little redundant. Maybe make linking to the best answer post within a thread right under the first post an alternative option to copying the whole best answer?

Big thing we're currently missing is an inline indicator in the thread overview on whether a thread was answered or not. Would it be possible to add an option to enable inline text indicators to show if a thread has already been answered?

Example:

[UNANSWERED] Thread Name #1
[ANSWERED] Thread Name #2

Hello Lior,
this is a really nice addon. Could I please submit some ideas which would be great for AVForums and other forums, I think? Apologies if some of these features are already in the addon.
Firstly it is not always appropriate for threads to have the best answer option. Maybe there is a condolences thread on someones' death, or it's just a joke thread. So I propose for each thread:
  1. Best answer off
  2. Best answer chosen by thread starter
  3. Best answer chosen by voting
  • usergroup permission to allow the thread starter to enable best answer functionality in his/her thread. Not all usergroups will have the permission to do it.
  • when starting a thread, a user with the appropriate permission has the option to either pick the best answer them self or allow member voting to pick the best answer. So the forum has the best of both worlds of your addon applied to each thread individually.
  • usergroup permission to toggle best answer feature on a thread. If a thread starter has enabled it where it's not appropriate, or not enabled it where it is, then a moderator should be able to change it.
I understand that there are usergroup permissions to enable voting for best answer.
I would also like to have usergroup permissions to enable being voted for best answer. It is not always appropriate for some people to have their posts voted as best answer. Maybe new users on some forums. Certainly people who have been suspended should have this privilege removed. Also advertisers posting in the forums should not have their posts bumped up to the top by their friends as this would benefit them in a dishonest way.

Admin options for the display of the best answer:
  • Moved from its original position to under post #1
  • Copied from its original position to under post #1
  • Short alert bar under post #1 which when clicked, opens the thread at the best answer post. Scrolling down if it's on the same page.
Again, this would then give people the best of all worlds.
2.webp 1.webp
I've attached a couple of quick mockups, which I'm sure you could design much more elegantly.
I see more uses for the thread starter selected option. Say if someone wants to have their own mini competition, they can invite people to reply, and the OP selects the winner. This is why I have warmed to your idea of having an OP selectable best answer.
Anyhow, those are my ideas. Thanks

Big thing we're currently missing is an inline indicator in the thread overview on whether a thread was answered or not. Would it be possible to add an option to enable inline text indicators to show if a thread has already been answered?

Example:

[UNANSWERED] Thread Name #1
[ANSWERED] Thread Name #2
Well, a prefix (if used) and the kind of indicator you've mentioned would probably be too much.

Maybe a different background color and a an icon (like the lock icon, etc.)?

I'm open to suggestions...

Hello Lior,
this is a really nice addon. Could I please submit some ideas which would be great for AVForums and other forums, I think? Apologies if some of these features are already in the addon.
Firstly it is not always appropriate for threads to have the best answer option. Maybe there is a condolences thread on someones' death, or it's just a joke thread. So I propose for each thread:
  1. Best answer off
  2. Best answer chosen by thread starter
  3. Best answer chosen by voting
  • usergroup permission to allow the thread starter to enable best answer functionality in his/her thread. Not all usergroups will have the permission to do it.
  • when starting a thread, a user with the appropriate permission has the option to either pick the best answer them self or allow member voting to pick the best answer. So the forum has the best of both worlds of your addon applied to each thread individually.
  • usergroup permission to toggle best answer feature on a thread. If a thread starter has enabled it where it's not appropriate, or not enabled it where it is, then a moderator should be able to change it.
I understand that there are usergroup permissions to enable voting for best answer.
I would also like to have usergroup permissions to enable being voted for best answer. It is not always appropriate for some people to have their posts voted as best answer. Maybe new users on some forums. Certainly people who have been suspended should have this privilege removed. Also advertisers posting in the forums should not have their posts bumped up to the top by their friends as this would benefit them in a dishonest way.

Admin options for the display of the best answer:
  • Moved from its original position to under post #1
  • Copied from its original position to under post #1
  • Short alert bar under post #1 which when clicked, opens the thread at the best answer post. Scrolling down if it's on the same page.
Again, this would then give people the best of all worlds.
View attachment 53428 View attachment 53429
I've attached a couple of quick mockups, which I'm sure you could design much more elegantly.
I see more uses for the thread starter selected option. Say if someone wants to have their own mini competition, they can invite people to reply, and the OP selects the winner. This is why I have warmed to your idea of having an OP selectable best answer.
Anyhow, those are my ideas. Thanks
Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, my idea for this add-on was that it'd be used only in selected forums which are dedicated to questions.

I'm just not sure others would actually use it, so I'm going to wait for other people to express their opinion on the matter, and if there is demand, I'll add this feature.

As for the permissions for being voted for best answer, good idea, will be added.

I liked your mockups, I personally like the full answer showing as the first reply, but I guess it's not to everyone's liking, so I'm gonna make that an option.

Thanks.
Actually, my idea for this add-on was that it'd be used only in selected forums which are dedicated to questions.

I'm just not sure others would actually use it, so I'm going to wait for other people to express their opinion on the matter, and if there is demand, I'll add this feature.
I think most forums have topics dedicated to certain subjects where people post threads which are comments, questions, news, social stuff... I have rarely seen forums which are focussed only on questions. Which is why I think making each thread a choice is my favourite route.
I would love to use this functionality on AVForums, and certainly there are some forums where it's more appropriate than others. But generally I would say that if you empower the members, they like the forum more.
Posting a thread? Sure. You want to attach images? No problem. You want a poll? Easy. You want to select the best answer to your question? Yeah, go on then! :)

@Lior. ,
There is 1 thing that might be super important.
When few peoples making like on a post, it shows "XYZ liked this post"

How about the same on this mod? it is important mostly when we want to prevent a fraud when members can create fictive members just in order to mark their post as "Best Answer".

When we can see who marked it as best answer, we actually can monitor such abuse.

What happen if 2 answers have the "Best Answer"? like both have 4 votes for the best answer, who will actually be the "Best Answer"? o_O

Top Bottom