Lack of interest Mark Forums Read on Bottom Too

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

kilcher

This is something that's always driven me nuts about vB so I'm making the suggestion here.

I would like to have a "mark forums read" link at the bottom of the "what's new" page. When you're scrolling through the posts you presumably end up at the bottom of the page. To then have to scroll up to the top of the page to click the "mark read" link seems like an extra step that doesn't need to be there. The logical place to have it would be at the bottom when you finish the list.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be at the top, it should, I just think it should be at the bottom too.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Do you mean at the bottom of the forum view page or the what's new page?

You can edit the forum_view template and place this code at the bottom:
HTML:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">
            <a href="{xen:link 'forums/mark-read', $forum, 'date={$serverTime}'}" class="OverlayTrigger">{xen:phrase mark_this_forum_read}</a>
        </xen:if>

I think the idea is less is better in certain cases. When it comes to a long thread there is a "Top" link at the bottom right of the forum which will bring you right to Mark All Forums Read :)

Otherwise I'd say it's better left as a template edit.

Not on the thread pages. It's on the "what's new" page.

Why have to click top and then click mark read? Why not just have it right at the bottom of the search results?

Not on the thread pages. It's on the "what's new" page.

Why have to click top and then click mark read? Why not just have it right at the bottom of the search results?

Again I think it just comes down to preference. If that's the argument here then why not include What's New, Watch Thread, Search Forums, and many other links at the bottom. I know where you're coming from but after using the software for awhile I definitely like the less is more motto going on.

Ok, guess we'll have to agree to disagree. To me "less is more" means removing the extra step of having to scroll back up to the top of the page to click the link.

Top Bottom