Implemented Make "what's new?" more prominent

Reeve of Shinra

I visit good number of forums and the new posts link is the usually the first one I click on. The second link I click is the subscriptions.php link to see if any conversations I've participated in have any updates.

Anything you can do to make that content more prominent and easier to get to would be great.

My first suggestion is adding the "whats new?" link to the top nav bar but obviously I think more can be done.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If you are on the home tab (assuming they had a cms or something of their own rolled out) and that was my landing page for xenforo.com -- it would take two clicks to get to new posts. It should be one and yes, I think that does help.

Furthermore, I'm trying to say that forum home page isn't really that usefully anymore. You can have a 30% box on the right with the catagories and forums (and pop up descriptions) and have the new discussions show up to the right on the remaining 70%. That would be a more ideal landing page and it gets the content out to the user faster with less clicking around and looking. Something like sitepoint has here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/

Hm... I thought about this and I agree.

In the future, if we have CMS articles, blog posts, gallery submissions, etc., it would be more than beneficial to click on "What's New?" and see all this (albeit only a few items from each section with a "See more..." link) from that page. Add-ons could also use this page and expand that even further.

Well, if you're on the Home tab, that means you're at the main page of the site. In that case, you're not actually looking at the forums, so new posts actually shouldn't just be one click away. I mean, I suppose they could, but it just seems a little wierd to link directly from your main site to your new forum posts. Imo best where it is.

Interestingly, this exact issue came up on vB4 and they did put it in the top navbar. i suggest doing the same since it needs to be accessible from all areas, it's so commonly used on many sites.

Also, from a personal perspective I'd like an equivalent of "Today's Posts", with read posts showing in normal font and unread in bold. I know that's emulating vB3 exactly, but for sites like mine it's essential and I'd be lynched without it.

Is there an equivalent of a getdaily search on here already?

I agree with the comments above. By placing it at the top, the user can find things more easily, and thus, enlighten them and open them up to the board content by making it more readily available.

I'd rather like it expand and show more options like:

What's new?
  • New Threads (default).
  • New Members (for admins).
  • New Likes (global, not like personal alerts).

I don't think this should be a pre-choice. But post.

If you are on the what's new page, and you want to filter it, the content there is how it is now, clicking on the icon to filter for new posts, the rest goes hidden and limiting view to new posts. This way the time you want the exception (which is incidental), is therefor optional but on the fly.

Sorry if this has been covered already, I did have a look but couldnt find anything.

These are just my thoughts really, and are perhaps swayed by the fact that i've been using the unread post vbulletin hack for 5 years now.

I find the 'whats new?' button a little annoying to use at times. I see that it disappears if I navigate to another of the tabs...'members' for instance. A lot of my members, including myself generally use the unread post button to navigate the site, so if for example I had sent someone a pm, id then click on unread posts immediately after. With the current xenforo set up I need to make an additional click now before i can use the new posts button. I think when I come to customizing my xenforo site I shall move this so its a permanent fixture probably on the right hand side. Just wondered how others feel about that and if it should be implented as standard?

Brogan: Please move if this is in the wrong forum

Did you recognize the DropDown menu besides Forum? Hover on the Tab fourms right over the arrow and the submenu appear with the Whats New Link inside.
So the Link a avaiable all over the Page. You and your users would learn that. My users does.

Did you recognize the DropDown menu besides Forum? Hover on the Tab fourms right over the arrow and the submenu appear with the Whats New Link inside.
So the Link a avaiable all over the Page. You and your users would learn that. My users does.
Yes I had spotted that, but it doesnt really suit my needs. The industry my forum specializes in couldnt be further removed from computers, as such I like to make the forums as user friendly as possible, with the main navigation being as obvious as possible.

For a majority of users What's New is the main way to check out the forums.
So please put it more prominently.
Every time I go off the Forums tan somewhere else - like the RM, or PCs, or my account, I have to go to Forum,s again to access it.

On my board I have What's New on a button, at the end of the breadcrumbs bar. Top AND bottom.
It works like a dream.
Wherever I am the breadcrumbs bar is there with What's New.

(Well on a long page I lose it in the middle but then Home on the keyboard brings me back. I dont myself like things floating about following me around - bit pushy.

I really miss this when I come on here.

I think it would be best to put "New Threads" / "Recent Threads" / "New Profile Posts", etc. into the sidebar.
Similar as Widget-Framework is doing it.

This would be even better visible than a "What's New"-button or a "What's New"-breadcrumb.......

On my old gamerexit style I actually had it in the main nav and I quite liked it... I really should put it back heh.

8MdeoH9.png

On my old gamerexit style I actually had it in the main nav and I quite liked it... I really should put it back heh.

8MdeoH9.png

"What's New" in the Main-Navbar......... and "New Threads" / "Recent Threads" / "New Profile Posts" / "New Members" in the Sub-Navbar ?

I think it would be best to put "New Threads" / "Recent Threads" / "New Profile Posts", etc. into the sidebar.
Similar as Widget-Framework is doing it.

This would be even better visible than a "What's New"-button or a "What's New"-breadcrumb.......

Disagree Erich. The point of my suggestion is double.

1. Make Whats new accessible and prominent. Default sidebar only does that on one page.
2. Make it appear reliably in the same location/s on all pages. The sidebar can't do that.

Disagree Erich. The point of my suggestion is double.

1. Make Whats new accessible and prominent. Default sidebar only does that on one page.
2. Make it appear reliably in the same location/s on all pages. The sidebar can't do that.

o.k., you catched me on the sidebar stuff :censored::notworthy:;)
boy I'm getting tired :sleep:

Top Bottom