Lack of interest Make re: available in replies

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Bionic Rooster

Some threads are so long it is easy to loose track of what the thread title is. It would be nice when someone replies to a thread that Re: (title) is shown at the top before the reply as a reminder what the subject is.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This could be done with a template modification. You just need to include
Code:
<xen:if is="{$thread}"><div>{$thread.title}</div></xen:if>
where you want it to display within the template "message". You'll want to style the div and stuff obviously.

It's also in the browser tab, like I mentioned. Although you're always looking at the URL, as it's right in front of you.
Yes it is in the tab and the URL but with many people including myself it is not a normal practice in reading. I scroll down the page reading each post without reading the URL and Tab first at each post. So eventually half way down the page, many posts away from the first one, it takes little to loose track of what the title or thread is about especially if the post is side tracked.
@Daniel Hood Coding is not one of my strong suits but wouldn't that snippet be removed when ever there was an update installed?

I personally dislike the "Re: (title)" thingy in forums that use vB and phpBB. Mainly because they are distracting/misleading especially when you can type a title in each reply, and feel very much like email replies? Just my opinions. :)

I personally dislike the "Re: (title)" thingy in forums that use vB and phpBB. Mainly because they are distracting/misleading especially when you can type a title in each reply, and feel very much like email replies? Just my opinions. :)

On vBulletin, it's disabled by default. Not sure about phpBB.

This is how I'd do it though:

upload_2013-10-14_4-54-25.webp

Template = message
Add the red
Rich (BB code):
<div class="messageContent">
        <xen:if is="{$post.position} > 0 AND !{$message.conversation_id}"><div class="textHeading larger">Re: {$thread.title}</div></xen:if>       
            <article>
                <blockquote class="messageText ugc baseHtml{xen:if $message.isIgnored, ' ignored'}">
                    <xen:include template="ad_message_body" />
                    {xen:raw $message.messageHtml}
                </blockquote>
            </article>

{xen:raw $messageContentAfterTemplate}
        </div>

What good is it to show the thread title above a post that has been side tracked?
It shows the proper subject and would indicate that that particular post was a side track. The way it is now if you are halfway through a discussion and someone throws in a side track, it would not stand out but would be easily noticed with re: (topic) at the top of the post.

There are better ways of achieving this rather than repeating the same few words on every page. For example, if you use floating moderator bar, you can edit this to include the topic title, or just create a simple floating bar with this on it.

I think it litters the posts and clutters things up. Personally I never seen any value in it even being there. Would hate to see this included but if it was it should be optional if it ever makes it into the core.

I've personally found it valuable when browsing forums where similar-topic threads are often merged together, so you can read which reply was in which original thread to better understand the conversation taking place.

I think it litters the posts and clutters things up. Personally I never seen any value in it even being there. Would hate to see this included but if it was it should be optional if it ever makes it into the core.
As far as cluttering things up goes so does sigs and user avatars. But users like that sort of thing though it servers no useful purpose to discussions. I like your idea of it being an option that can be turned on or off by the users.

Top Bottom