Loving my Kindle Fire!

grant sarver

Got it for Christmas. No disappointment here. Watching some of the commercials for the old Kindle, I realize that I never read in the sun! I read in bed! Backlit works for me. I read less nowadays and I'm starting to realize that I have to hold a book too close. Being able to hold the Kindle at a more comfortable distance and just enlarging the text allows me to read wayyyy too late!

I hear there are some complaints, but I think too many people are expecting way too much. They expect it to be an iPad Jr. Fact is; it's a reader first and is able to do a bunch of other stuff OK.

Then there are those complaining about accessibility. But it's not really a Kindle, it's just an Android devise running the Kindle App.

Filled my expectations.

Bought my mom the Kobo Vox. Pretty cool device. The getjar store is weak.
My mom just wants it for books.

I can't find the power cord for my Nook Color ... so I can't play with that.

Unless its changed, the Kindle Fire only allows you to use the Kindle ereader app which doesn't support any other format but the ones you can buy from their store.

I prefer Aldiko (And Kobo as a secondary ereader) as they allow you to use .epub and .mobi which is supported by most platforms (Except ones where proprietary formats are the only allowed, like the Kindle).

For the price, its a great tablet, but if you watch online you can often get older (decent) tablets that are comparable for about the same price, or new ones for a bit more but with more to offer hardware wise.

According to the blurb, the Fire supports most extension types - Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Mobi would be of the most interest to me as that's the format most of my ebooks on my current Kindle are saved as :D

Unless its changed, the Kindle Fire only allows you to use the Kindle ereader app which doesn't support any other format but the ones you can buy from their store.

I prefer Aldiko (And Kobo as a secondary ereader) as they allow you to use .epub and .mobi which is supported by most platforms (Except ones where proprietary formats are the only allowed, like the Kindle).

For the price, its a great tablet, but if you watch online you can often get older (decent) tablets that are comparable for about the same price, or new ones for a bit more but with more to offer hardware wise.
That was part of my point; it's no longer proprietary, the Fire is just an Android.

Top Bottom