XF 1.2 Lost everything

ineedhelp

I clicked on Begin Installation, but it didn't do anything for about a minute, no signs of the browser doing anything. So I decided to refresh the page...I clicked on Begin Installation again. This time it instantly said installation complete.

Seemed weird that it upgraded to 1.2 so quick... All seemed fine, but then I noticed the profile pages were broken and not showing the new layout. I figured the upgrade didn't complete. So I went back to the install url and it told me to delete install-lock.php in order to do a fresh install. There was no warning message telling me that deleting that file from my server will wipeout my forum.. I deleted it... But this deleted everything... posts, add ons, users etc. :mad:

Luckily, i was installing it on my test site. NOT my main site !

Anyone else had this issue?

IF this happens again when installing it on my main site... Is there anyway to fix a bad install without risking deleting everything?

You should always take a backup before upgrading.

A fresh install is exactly that. It stands to reason existing data would be lost.

I clicked on Begin Installation, but it didn't do anything for about a minute, no signs of the browser doing anything. So I decided to refresh the page...I clicked on Begin Installation again. This time it instantly said installation complete.

Seemed weird that it upgraded to 1.2 so quick... All seemed fine, but then I noticed the profile pages were broken and not showing the new layout. I figured the upgrade didn't complete. So I went back to the install url and it told me to delete install-lock.php in order to do a fresh install. There was no warning message telling me that deleting that file from my server will wipeout my forum.. I deleted it... But this deleted everything... posts, add ons, users etc. :mad:

Luckily, i was installing it on my test site. NOT my main site !

Anyone else had this issue?

IF this happens again when installing it on my main site... Is there anyway to fix a bad install without risking deleting everything?

You clicked begin Installation and that didn't give you an indication that you were installing a fresh copy and not upgrading?

Deleting that file doesn't delete anything. However, you said you clicked on "begin installation" - it sounds like you went through the process that said it would delete everything to do that. That text only appears when doing a fresh installation.

Please see the upgrade instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/upgrades/ Notably the part about ensuring the the directories are "merged".

I've upgraded several boards over the last day or so. None of them really dealing with live data, but even in a test environment the pain of losing data isn't worth the risk.

So I READ EVERY WORD on EVERY PAGE of the upgrade process.

If you had done that, I'm certain you wouldn't needed to have resorted to your backup.

Deleting that file doesn't delete anything. However, you said you clicked on "begin installation" - it sounds like you went through the process that said it would delete everything to do that. That text only appears when doing a fresh installation.

Please see the upgrade instructions: http://xenforo.com/help/upgrades/ Notably the part about ensuring the the directories are "merged".
All the files when uploaded did merge correctly. This all happened when i deleted install-lock.php.

I should have copied that file to my desktop before deleting it.

You deleted all the data as soon as you clicked "begin installation". The install-lock.php file simply prevents you from running the installer.

This generally happens when someone doesn't "merge" the directories, because they lose their data and internal_data directories where the original install-lock.php is found. (Also losing all avatars, attachments, and other data as well.)

You deleted all the data as soon as you clicked "begin installation". The install-lock.php file simply prevents you from running the installer.

This generally happens when someone doesn't "merge" the directories, because they lose their data and internal_data directories where the original install-lock.php is found. (Also losing all avatars, attachments, and other data as well.)
I'm going to backup all my server files of the main site and the database... And try upgrading again on the main site this time.

The reason I got confused that the upgrade wasn't happening was because, the pages didn't change it didn't say 'updating templates, Admin panel' etc.... I'm reinstalling the addons again on the test site.... The install process stays on the same page. But they are installing fine.

I'm going to backup all my server files of the main site and the database... And try upgrading again on the main site this time.
Woah... considering what happened the first time, wouldn't it be more prudent to restore your main site backup to your test site (making sure, of course that you have your config.php configured uniquely & properly pointing to your test DB & not your main DB) and then try upgrading your test site again?

Top Bottom