1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

local web server on mac

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by Robust, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

Coming from a Windows background and not using a Mac much I dunno how to host a web server for XenForo development. How do you do it (assuming you're like me and use a local development server). Preferably not paid.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Mac has Apache built in; then you just need to install MySQL and PHP.

To make it a bit easier, MAMP is what I used originally. Now I know more about Macs I installed nginx and MariaDB manually.

Andrej likes this.
  3. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

I am a system administrator, I can use nginx and stuff if it's basically the same procedure as I do on Debian or my other distros. No experience with Macs though. If it's completely different, MAMP any good? Basically like WAMP? @Chris D

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Basically like WAMP yeah. Installs it all for you and provides an interface to manage it all.

5. Lost

Lost Well-Known Member

I use AMPPS on my Macs. Love it!

6. Dakota Storm

Dakota Storm Well-Known Member

Couldn't you install a Linux partition? I did this on my windiws box, specifically for using it as a local server.

7. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

@TwistedMerlin My disk storage is already quite low and I don't have an external HDD lying around, so I don't think that's a possibility right now.

8. Aayush

Aayush Well-Known Member

I've tried AMPPS, but still I use MAMP due to a better interface. But lately I have been encountering issues with MAMP too like random hosts file rewrite and problems with closing on shutdown. So I think I'll be using Vagrant too for XF development soon enough.

9. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

You could install VirtualBox on your Mac, and run a debian server VM when you're wanting to do XF dev.

10. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

Even with a terrible interface, AMPPS is an amazing tool for this. MAMP was blazing fast but I had too many issues, for one config.php wouldn't update