Question: Best web server choice for xen 2.x

Mindzipper

I need to know how best to configure the instance I will be running for a site that primarily runs XenForo.

Currently we are at 1.5.x and I'll be applying the latest patches to get it to 1.5.21.

my thoughts are it would be better to install 2.x clean then import the data from the 1.5.21 install currently running to give the results with the fewest orphan files remaining.

I'd like to know the best path for making this transition, and specifically which web server (and version) will give the best results. This is a purpose built instance and will only run a forum, and a website. But the forum is by far more important.

Also when reviewing the requirements for XenForo, unless I'm mistaken. I see no requirement listed for the web server. I see the following:

XenForo System Requirements
  • PHP: 5.6.0+ (PHP 7.2.0+ recommended)
  • MySQL: 5.5+ (MariaDB / Percona also compatible)
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, cURL, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • Common PHP functions must not be disabled
Thanks for any advice.

Nginx, apache, litespeed will all do the job fine :) Depends what your sysadmin wants to support.
First off thanks for the reply @Slavik. Lets say I go with Apache. What version is best? I prefer not to use .htaccess files and put the rules in the configs to reduce the calls, but at this point I'm thinking Apache is likely the safe bet. but that's not a determining factor for me here. More so than anything I'm interested in the versions

I am the sysadmin, I can do nginx or apache, I've not used lightspeed. I just need to know which version of both are optimal (nginx and apache)

First off thanks for the reply @Slavik. Lets say I go with Apache. What version is best? I prefer not to use .htaccess files and put the rules in the configs to reduce the calls, but at this point I'm thinking Apache is likely the safe bet. but that's not a determining factor for me here. More so than anything I'm interested in the versions

I am the sysadmin, I can do nginx or apache, I've not used lightspeed. I just need to know which version of both are optimal (nginx and apache)

I found nginx gave better performance than Apache with less resources used. It was relatively painless to set up.

I use Apache 2.4 as part of the LAMP stack I set up on Linode a year ago for a VPS to run XF2. I was a noob to VPS and Linux.

It has worked well and after initial configuration and setting up XF redirects, is stable, reliable and well supported. Performance is also good.

If I had to start over again, I’d probably go with nginx, which is more performant and used less resources.

However, I do not believe with today’s broadband connections and such, that the performance between Apache and nginx is going to be discernible to users. And despite the reduction in resources, it isn’t enough of an issue for me to switch over and have to reconfigure everything.

Bottom line, go with what make you happy !

I found nginx gave better performance than Apache with less resources used. It was relatively painless to set up.
Thanks. I just went with nginx since that's what I normally use now when setting up new servers.
I use Apache 2.4 as part of the LAMP stack I set up on Linode a year ago for a VPS to run XF2. I was a noob to VPS and Linux.

It has worked well and after initial configuration and setting up XF redirects, is stable, reliable and well supported. Performance is also good.

If I had to start over again, I’d probably go with nginx, which is more performant and used less resources.

However, I do not believe with today’s broadband connections and such, that the performance between Apache and nginx is going to be discernible to users. And despite the reduction in resources, it isn’t enough of an issue for me to switch over and have to reconfigure everything.

yeah I think you're exactly right. It's likely more preference than required functionality. especially since this is a single use server. the only thing running will be the single forum and a single website, using a separate db server. I was just wondering by posting this thread if there would be any specific reason one would be better than the other.

Thanks for the input.

FYI I'm story97 too. no clue why I have two accounts, and lastpass just put me in the other account previously.

Top Bottom