Live Update

Live Update 4.0.1

No permission to download
Robbo has been looking into this and thinks it's due to a memory leak in jQuery. I think hes looking into implementing a version which does not utilize jQuery's AJAX methods to bypass the memory leak.
Any news on this? Was hoping to use this addon but I'm weary of this apparent chrome/crashing issue.

Haven't tried the addon myself yet, or left the tab open for hours on end to see if my browser would crash. Perhaps I'll just try that and see what happens... has anyone been using the latest version of this for a long time without issue?

Any news on this? Was hoping to use this addon but I'm weary of this apparent chrome/crashing issue.

Haven't tried the addon myself yet, or left the tab open for hours on end to see if my browser would crash. Perhaps I'll just try that and see what happens... has anyone been using the latest version of this for a long time without issue?

No news atm, will check with Robbo if he's still planning to revise it.

Ahem: http://www.8thos.com/threads/live-thread-posts-update-in-real-time.3200/

Edit: NVM. I'm uninstalling it. Will reinstall it later.

Not sure what this has to do with my addon.

I have no idea how to stop the memory leak. It could currently be just on linux chrome. Because I have optimised as much as I can think of, the only way there could be leaks is internally now. I will test a bit when Naatan comes on tonight and then get a release out some time this week to see how it goes.

The changes I made to my user script (which is the same script used for this add-on) seems to have reduced memory leaks quite a lot to the point the rest could just be my system. I will try get it updated over the weekend.

looking forward to the update.
I'll tell you guys something that might help a bit...

When I initially set up this addon, the little Favicon red badge didn't update, I was seeing the same favicon.
but then I realized I did NOT have any favicon on my server anymore, the favicon was cached by Chrome from my previous board.
So I placed my good old /favicon.ico file at the root of the server, refreshed the page, waited for an alert to get here, and that did the trick.

However if this has serious memory leak issues I might have to disable it for the time being.

edit: waited 10 minutes and Chrome didn't report any memory usage increase. I'm keeping this on :)

The changes I made to my user script (which is the same script used for this add-on) seems to have reduced memory leaks quite a lot to the point the rest could just be my system. I will try get it updated over the weekend.
Any chance I could get my hands on the updated JS? I figured I'm going to go ahead and enable this addon and give it a whirl, but I would rather test it with your modified JS if that's possible.

Edit: Decided to start testing it as is, and got chromes "Aw, snap!" crash message after an hour or so of leaving the tab open. Tried again just to be sure and about an hour or so later the tab/page crashed. Did it a third time and it crashed but this time the entirety of chrome crashed and not just the tab/page. Seems I'll have to disable it for now.

A suggestion for the future: It would be nice to make this optional on a user by user basis. For example, I began to find it distracting and disabled it, but some of my members really enjoyed it. A user option to check whether to enable it would be cool.

Doesn't work
Unfortunately, it doesn't work on my installation. Tested with Chrome and Firefox. I also deactivated TaigaChat Pro who has also a similar feature, not for favicon, but for tabtext. The red alertcounter doesn't show up in the favicon. I have a /favicon.ico in the root folder. I cleared whole Chrome History/Cache and reopened in Inkognito/Private Mode the forum. Then with a test user account in IE I followed myself. then switched to chrome window. When I'm surfing in other tabs like google search or even in xenforo tab, the xenforo "new alert" popups/alerts show up, but never seen the alertcounter.

Could please anyone help me to get this work? I would even pay for it to get it worked ;)

EDIT: Seems to work with xenforo default style, but not with my custom style.
EDIT2: Addon works now after i fixed it in my custom style. Was mistake of implementation in my custom style.

Top Bottom