Live Update

Live Update 4.0.1

No permission to download
I have it working fine now on two XF 1.2.0 forums. The only thing I don't like is that it is grabbing the "open graph" logo (which is also the apple touch icon) rather than the favicon. On one forum this is OK since the logo renders nicely in the smaller size, but in another, the red/white/black logo is extremely ragged. I'd rather it stuck to the favicon, but perhaps it was not possible to modify it?

I also might want to modify the color of the icon overlay--the red, for me, is very hard to read. (That is just my poor eyesight--my eyes do not do well with red.)

It might be worth my mucking about in the code. Other than these icon issues though, it works nicely.

If I had this plugin, I would remain online in several XenForo forums instead of closing the window.... this is a very useful addon.

I have it working fine now on two XF 1.2.0 forums. The only thing I don't like is that it is grabbing the "open graph" logo (which is also the apple touch icon) rather than the favicon. On one forum this is OK since the logo renders nicely in the smaller size, but in another, the red/white/black logo is extremely ragged. I'd rather it stuck to the favicon, but perhaps it was not possible to modify it?

I also might want to modify the color of the icon overlay--the red, for me, is very hard to read. (That is just my poor eyesight--my eyes do not do well with red.)

It might be worth my mucking about in the code. Other than these icon issues though, it works nicely.
What I did is force/declare it manually on templates to use /favicon.ico file.

Greetings,

Is the latest version 2.0 of Live Updates compatible with XenForo 1.2?

Or, when and where can i get the version which is compatible with xF 1.2?

Thank you.

It should be awesome if you remove this code in PAGE_CONTAINER template;

HTML:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="{xen:helper fullurl, @ogLogoPath, 1}" />
You shouldn't remove that line.
It's XenForo default template code, nothing to do with this addon.
Instead, change that line to:
Code:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
Assuming you have favicon.ico in your root directory.

You shouldn't remove that line. It's XenForo default template code, nothing to do with this addon. Instead, change that line to:
Code:
Assuming you have favicon.ico in your root directory.

Well I didn't lose my favicon.ico when tried that. In fact, I already have favicon.ico in my FTP root. Whatever, then you can try this:

Code:
<xen:if is="@enableResponsive">
</xen:if>

OR

Code:
<xen:else />

Well I didn't lose my favicon.ico when tried that. In fact, I already have favicon.ico in my FTP root. Whatever, then you can try this:

Code:

OR

Code:
<xen:else />
Using the code you suggested will stop Live Update working when responsive is enabled.

Greetings,

Is the latest version 2.0 of Live Updates compatible with XenForo 1.2?

Or, when and where can i get the version which is compatible with xF 1.2?

Thank you.

Can some well versed with the Live Updates mod please respond?

Thanks.

You shouldn't remove that line.
It's XenForo default template code, nothing to do with this addon.

Agreed. Taking that away will remove the nice larger home screen icons that mobile users see when they bookmark our sites. That is one selling point to weaning our users off of Tapatalk and Forum Runner--once they saw the nice home screen icons, they were all "Oh, cool!" about it. ;)

I think the issue with this add-on may not be with the code @Naatan provides, but with the JS library the add-on uses (Tinycon) to modify the icon, which might be grabbing the apple touch icon (which is also the "open graph" icon for the forum) as opposed to the favicon.ico file.

The effect in the display is noticeable. If I am logged in to the admin control panel, I get the nicely rendered favicon.ico file (which I have as a multi-image file with 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 versions embedded). But on the public side, the browser's rendering of the open graph icon is ragged and horrible looking. It's easy to see here:

upload_2013-8-15_17-49-58.webp

If we could find out where the add-on is selecting the icon, we can easily change it to grab our favicon.ico file. The JS library in the add-on is mostly minified, though, and impossible to read through. I also don't care for how the alert number in the icon is styled but, again, that is a product of the JS library. (You can change the color, but you can't easily add a contrasting border to the number, or pad the number with a pixel at the bottom to make it more readable.) If you visit the site for Tinycon, you can see the options available--the library is only for the manipulation of the icon, by the way, not for the actual AJAX polling that Naatan uses (which is additional code, specific to XF).

Still loving this add-on, as I can easily monitor a couple of forums without having to check them continually for replies!

As Robbo said it's open-source, so feel free to fork. If anyone desires to take over development of this addon directly feel free to contact me, I'll gladly move ownership of the repo.

Quoted for a point of reference.....

..... Something for me to play with......

Free open source.... Tis a good thing :D

Top Bottom