Live Update

Live Update 4.0.1

No permission to download
There's no way to do that currently.

Hi, I can't show the favicon on my tab in Chrome 41.0.2272.89 dev-m

but I can do it well in Opera 15.0.1147.153 with a same device.

I put my favicon.ico, which renamed from*.png extension to *.ico, inside my public_html folder.

Any idea about this ?

Unfortunately this seems to be a limitation of IE11.

However I don't think it shows the text in the title either.

I'll look into it when I'm nearby a windows box.

hi mate.
the Tab Title works in IE, just not the bubble.

has anyone noticed their favicon being distorted/blurry using FF. because when i disable this mod, the favicon becomes nice and clear again. very strange.

EDIT: the favicon only becomes distorted when Tab Icon is chosen with no notifications. using Tab Title, the favicon is good again.

Last edited:
There is a small bug in counter update. If there is more than 1 counter on page (such as duplicate navigation added by another add-on), this add-on doubles number of alerts.

For example, if number of new conversations is "1", but there are 2 new conversation indicators, this add-on shows it as "11".

Fix: open js/liveupdate/update.js, find
Code:
    var count = parseInt($('#ConversationsMenu_Counter span.Total').text()) + parseInt($('#AlertsMenu_Counter span.Total').text());
replace with
Code:
    var count = parseInt($('#ConversationsMenu_Counter span.Total:first').text()) + parseInt($('#AlertsMenu_Counter span.Total:first').text());

hi mate.

has anyone noticed their favicon being distorted/blurry using FF. because when i disable this mod, the favicon becomes nice and clear again. very strange.

EDIT: the favicon only becomes distorted when Tab Icon is chosen with no notifications. using Tab Title, the favicon is good again.
Generally the support will vary among different browsers, as will the results. I haven't necessarily seen it happen like that in FF as a matter of course so it may vary depending on the exact format and resolution of the favicon.

There is a small bug in counter update. If there is more than 1 counter on page (such as duplicate navigation added by another add-on), this add-on doubles number of alerts.

For example, if number of new conversations is "1", but there are 2 new conversation indicators, this add-on shows it as "11".

Fix: open js/liveupdate/update.js, find
Code:
    var count = parseInt($('#ConversationsMenu_Counter span.Total').text()) + parseInt($('#AlertsMenu_Counter span.Total').text());
replace with
Code:
    var count = parseInt($('#ConversationsMenu_Counter span.Total:first').text()) + parseInt($('#AlertsMenu_Counter span.Total:first').text());
Thanks, it seems reasonable enough to change. Hard for me to call it a "bug" though as there really shouldn't be more than one of those counters per page, but I guess it's only right to cover that eventuality.

EDIT: Wouldn't that also mean the HTML is invalid if there are two elements on the page with the same ID?

Thank you @Chris D for another great piece of work. It installed and was up and running within seconds.
Extremely useful as now idle users on the forum homepage, will receive notification alerts based on our preference - 8 seconds.
Of course, it avoids users having to refresh or move around. So thank you very much for this.

And @EvilSS yes I too have this issue, as soon as the add-on was installed, our favicon went from crisp and clean, to quite distorted, squashed a bit almost.. So I am wondering if the add-on adjusts the favicon size or something, to allow for the alerts.?
Small price to pay really, but of course - like you I have an eye for attention to detail and it caught mine instantly ;)

hi mate.

If I could see a screenshot that'd be cool. The code that does the favicon manipulation is third party, though there is an alternative I've been thinking about using instead; but at the same time if there's a bug in the current one it may have been fixed by its developers; or I might be able to track it down and fix it myself.

If I could see a screenshot that'd be cool. The code that does the favicon manipulation is third party, though there is an alternative I've been thinking about using instead; but at the same time if there's a bug in the current one it may have been fixed by its developers; or I might be able to track it down and fix it myself.

By all means mate, unfortunately though I don't have the 'before' for your before and after. And unlike the poster earlier, switching it off hasn't reverted it but that could be a cache issue to be fair..

favicon_issues1.webp

This was crystal clear, a perfect image and you can see it's distorted. I''l try and get a shot without anything activated. :)

It's ok, I can see the URL of your site anyway and I can see the original favicon.ico in the browser.

I can see the difference.

I'll look into it, but forgive me if it takes a little while (especially if I end up having to use the alternative third party library for it).

It's ok, I can see the URL of your site anyway and I can see the original favicon.ico in the browser.

I can see the difference.

I'll look into it, but forgive me if it takes a little while (especially if I end up having to use the alternative third party library for it).

Thank you Chris, I appreciate this very much.
Also though, don't apologise/seek forgiveness for anything!
You've enough to do as is, and for me - it's a small price to pay that I can live with, for the rewards of having almost instant notifications.

Thank you so very much.
Regards
Kris :)

@Chris D Kicked up these error messages today. This is the third time I've seen this sequence and I can't quite figure out what it is. Is this related to Live Update or just causing it to malfunction?

Code:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Incorrect key file for table './dressedw_forumdb/xf_session.MYI'; try to repair it - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Generated By: Leitmotif, Yesterday at 6:15 PM
Stack Trace

#0 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(632): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('UPDATE `xf_sess...', Array)
#3 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/Session.php(805): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->update('xf_session', Array, 'session_id = 'a...')
#4 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/Session.php(541): XenForo_Session->saveSessionToSource('acee4b3342e1cb5...', true)
#5 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/Controller.php(414): XenForo_Session->save()
#6 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/Controller.php(358): XenForo_Controller->updateSession(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_Error), 'LiveUpdate_Cont...', 'Index')
#7 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(354): XenForo_Controller->postDispatch(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_Error), 'LiveUpdate_Cont...', 'Index')
#8 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#9 /home/dressedw/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#10 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(43) "http://dressedwell.net/index.php?liveupdate"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["liveupdate"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(1) "/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

Code:
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded - library/XenForo/Autoloader.php:119
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 5:25 PM
Stack Trace

#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(47) "http://www.dressedwell.net/index.php?liveupdate"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["liveupdate"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(8) "/forums/"
  }
}

Code:
XenForo_Exception: Please enter a valid message. - library/XenForo/DataWriter.php:1345
Generated By: Rambo, Yesterday at 3:57 PM
Stack Trace

#0 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1387): XenForo_DataWriter->_haveErrorsPreventSave()
#1 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Conversation.php(1130): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#2 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Conversation->actionInsertReply()
#3 /home/dressedw/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /home/dressedw/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(67) "http://www.dressedwell.net/conversations/leitmotif.874/insert-reply"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(9) {
    ["message_html"] => string(22) "<p><br></p><p><br></p>"
    ["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(62) "http://www.dressedwell.net/conversations/leitmotif.874/page-25"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "589f54f0bab2fba6b92dddd531000e1b"
    ["last_date"] => string(10) "1430077706"
    ["last_known_date"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(36) "/conversations/leitmotif.874/page-25"
  }
}

Only two of those mention Live Update but, yeah, these are just the pages being accessed when an error occurs. None of the code that is erroring is actually from Live Update itself, e.g. the first one. Live Update doesn't write anything to the Session itself but that is what is happening there.

Hello all,

I have installed the add-on.
However, it doesn't work on my side...

Must I configure anything a part the delay set to 10 for my forum?
Conflict with another add-on ? I did not see any cron task, must I create one?

Thanks.

Hello all,

I have installed the add-on.
However, it doesn't work on my side...

Must I configure anything a part the delay set to 10 for my forum?
Conflict with another add-on ? I did not see any cron task, must I create one?

Thanks.
I think your favicon.ico is missing - you need one otherwise it can't display the alert count on the icon.

Is there a way to change the color from red to blue?
Not at this time, no.

I assume he means the favicon balloon. The colour of which is buried deep within the minified JS somewhere.

Top Bottom