Live Content

Live Content [Paid] 1.2.3

No permission to buy ($25.00)

Xon

Xon submitted a new resource:

Live Content - Liven up content

Polls the server for new content, and adds them to the existing list of posts/messages. Updates alert & conversation totals along the way.

Supported content:
  • Threads (loads posts)
  • Conversations (loads conversation messages)
  • User (allows polling for updated alerts & conversations counts from anywhere)
Permissions:
  • Per-forum "View live threads"
  • Global "View live conversations"
  • Global "Live alert/conversation counter updates"
To...

Read more about this resource...

This looks interesting. Is it comparable to the Digitalpoint's spy add-on?

Edit: Nevermind, I get what it does.

How server intensive is this? I guess that's difficult to answer though.
It should be less intensive that users spamming refresh, as it is mostly doing fairly light selects if there is nothing to fetch.

But ultimately it depends on load and how your users do things. I haven't yet used this on a heavily used site myself, but I've done my best to ensure it is lightweight.

Is there a live demo?
Not yet, I've got one customer who has it deployed into production but I'll get it up on @NixFifty's https://xf2.nixfifty.com at some stage.

that would be great. as of now, i have no idea where and how it works on a forum. have been looking for this solution since i updated from xf1. and price is quite high for me to pay before i see what it really does :D thanks for creating this though!

This add-on provides similar functionality to; Live Update (updating alert/conversation counts) and Live Thread (adding posts to threads without reloading) over providing a live feed of activity.

I've had some requests to add more live feed like functionality, but I haven't really had the time to look into that.

Add live activity widget. Add live activity block. Profit. :) my personal suggestions of course.

hehe. with little activity on that forum, i am still not sure what actually is happening with the live demo. can you post the links to sections on the forum which are supposed to live update through this add-on? i am assuming i should create a demo account and start posting to see it in action?

hehe. with little activity on that forum, i am still not sure what actually is happening with the live demo. can you post the links to sections on the forum which are supposed to live update through this add-on? i am assuming i should create a demo account and start posting to see it in action?
You basically need 2 accounts; 1 to view it and the other to keep posting.

ok. so i got it i think. it updates posts in open threads and conversations so one does not need to refresh to see new content being added to the active thread/conversation.
i was kind of looking for live updating latest activity tab.
is that something that you might be interested in adding to this addon?
at this moment, it does not do what i need but it does do what i can definitely consider adding to my board. thanks!

My suggestions:
  • Recent Activity
  • Profile Comments
  • Widgets: new posts/threads
  • Members online block
  • Forum index: last post
  • XFMG Comments
  • User Blog System: Blog Comments & Entry Comments
  • Article Management System: Article Comments

Sound like a broken record but the above would be great. We need more 'live' features in XF for sure.

Top Bottom