1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Limit Users to Subforum

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Poindexter, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

What is the easiest way to limit a user or users to a specific subforum? If this doesn't deserve it's own thread, my apologies.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You would have to revoke access to all other nodes except the one you want them to have access to.

That can be done via node permissions at the user or user group level.

Poindexter likes this.
  3. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

Awesome, thanks. I wasn't sure which would be better. I'm assuming the group would be better if I plan to do it more than a few times.

4. Brogan

Yes, if you plan to use it more than once, a user group would be the better option as you only need to set it up once then just add members to it.

Poindexter likes this.
  5. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

How do I remove permission from nodes for a single user?

6. Brogan

Click on the node permissions and enter the member name in the field at the top right:
    upload_2016-8-19_23-53-30.png

7. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

Thank you, I didn't see that.

8. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

I that available in 1.5.7? I'm not seeing it.

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Are you on the right page? You need to enter the permission interface for the node in question. It's on the page that gives you the option to make the node private.

10. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

Excellent, now I see it. I wasn't at the right place. Thank you.

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

If I want to limit the poster to a subforum but not let him/her view the other threads of the parent node, is that possible?

12. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

I'd like to be able to allow a user to participate in the politics forum but no where else in the off topic forums.

[​IMG]

13. Brogan

Revoke access to the Off Topic Forums category (which will also apply to all children), Allow it for the Politics and Religion forum.

Amaury likes this.
  14. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

It's not working. Could it be because the politics forum is also a child of the off topic forum?

15. Brogan

It should work as an explicit allow overrides a revoke.

Ensure you are using revoke and not never.

Poindexter likes this.
  16. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

I am, and it still isn't isn't working. I'll have to keep trying to figure it out.

17. Brogan

The permissions analyzer should help with determining what the issue is.

Run it for an affected member against the node.

Poindexter likes this.
  18. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

This is the result:
    [​IMG]

19. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you can't view the parent forum, you'll never be able to view a child forum.

Based on some of your wording, it sounds like you were providing access (viewing permissions) to the parent forum but restricting in other ways (ability to post or view others' threads, for example). If you do that, you can control permissions separately in a child forum, but the user has to be able to see the parent.

Poindexter likes this.
  20. Poindexter

Poindexter Member

So I would like have to move the Politics forum to be a child of the Off Topic category and then revoke the other forums, is that it? So where/when does the "Allow" actually override the "Revoke"?