• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.5 Limit Users to Subforum

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You would have to revoke access to all other nodes except the one you want them to have access to.

That can be done via node permissions at the user or user group level.

Poindexter

You would have to revoke access to all other nodes except the one you want them to have access to.

That can be done via node permissions at the user or user group level.
Awesome, thanks. I wasn't sure which would be better. I'm assuming the group would be better if I plan to do it more than a few times.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Yes, if you plan to use it more than once, a user group would be the better option as you only need to set it up once then just add members to it.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Are you on the right page? You need to enter the permission interface for the node in question. It's on the page that gives you the option to make the node private.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Revoke access to the Off Topic Forums category (which will also apply to all children), Allow it for the Politics and Religion forum.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
If you can't view the parent forum, you'll never be able to view a child forum.

Based on some of your wording, it sounds like you were providing access (viewing permissions) to the parent forum but restricting in other ways (ability to post or view others' threads, for example). If you do that, you can control permissions separately in a child forum, but the user has to be able to see the parent.

So I would like have to move the Politics forum to be a child of the Off Topic category and then revoke the other forums, is that it? So where/when does the "Allow" actually override the "Revoke"?