1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like Not Working (& Not Appearing in Posts)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Vilandra, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Having a problem with the "Like" system. When I click on Like in a post, the "working" graphic appears and disappears, but nothing shows up on the post and the person is not credited with a Like.

I'm using the default template for posts and the default color scheme.

Can anyone suggest what I could try to troubleshoot this? I'm kind of at a loss. Thanks!

gotski likes this.
  2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

You broke it? :p

Just in case you have not done it, have you refreshed the page or a Control-F5 for a hard refresh?

3. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Oh I have no doubt that I broke it...but how to fix it, that is another story :p ;)

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Let's do some standard troubleshooting.

1) Try to reproduce the problem on a default style. Create a new style with no parent:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Styles -> Create New Style

Then select that style on your forum. If the problem goes away when using the new style then you know it's a problem with your custom style.

2) Try disabling your addons:

Admin CP -> Home -> List Add-ons -> Disable (in the Control menu for each addon)

5. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Nope, neither of those worked. But thanks for the suggestions! :)

If I right click on Like and open it a new window, it asks me if I really want to Like this post, and if I click on Submit, it takes me back to the thread, but the post is not Liked and it says the user has 0 liked posts.

The only thing I've been doing recently is changing the color palette. Though I'm not sure whether this ever worked on my installation - I can't find any existing Likes at all for any of my users. I did import a vb 3.8 board into XF.

:)

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Are you now live with the imported database? Or is this a test xf installation?

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Does the like work when clicking on it normally, not opening it in a new window?

Can you provide a test account?

8. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Yes, I've been live for a few days now. I did a test import and didn't notice anything not working properly...but I can't say for sure whether I tested the Like feature.

Nope, the Like does not work when clicking it normally - I see the processing graphic but nothing actually happens.

Thanks!

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is a stab in the dark, though I have seen it once or twice. I'm not sure what causes it, and I'm trying to make changes to ensure it never happens.

Run this query, refresh the page, and see if you can like a post then:

DELETE FROM xf_data_registry WHERE data_key = 'contentTypes';

Ron and Dean like this.
  10. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

That worked like a charm - thanks so much Mike :) And thanks again Brogan and Dean :)

11. jacko

jacko Active Member

This happened after I upgraded to Beta 6. "Like" does not appear in posts.

12. jacko

jacko Active Member

that didn't work for me

"Like" button is gone in Beta 6 for me...

13. jacko

jacko Active Member

found the problem - permissions changed themselves
    Administrative changed itself to DENY, I changed it manually to ALLOW
    Registered was set at DEFAULT but I changed it to ALLOW and "Like" link reappeared under posts for registered users

14. high1976

high1976 Active Member

same small 'issue' with b6 here, "like" was disabled for Administrative

gotski likes this.
  15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

"Like posts" and "Like profile posts" are new permissions in Beta 6 so you may need to check the usergroup settings.